Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on renting

Options
  • 05-10-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I've just rented a house on 1 year contract. I find the bed- & bathroom shockingly cold, only a rather smallish electric radiator in the bedroom, nothing in the bath. Feeling cold all the time. Is there any way to get out of contract without losing deposit on that reason or we're looking forward to a long time shivering? I don't wanna spend a fortune on heating either, can't afford it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ring landlord and tell him there's inadequate heating and he should get a heater for room and pull string electronic for bathroom. Will cost him feck all so should be glad to oblige. Is there heating in other rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thanks for your reply! Separate fireplace and electric combined storage and fan heater in sitting room. Fireplace to small and useless, other one must be heavy on eletricity. Only reasonable heater I have at the moment is a mobile gas one. The cold rooms facing north. I thought it'd be ok but it's not. We've already given a nickname to it: Northpole :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Is your storage heating on a seperate meter, if not its going to be expensive.
    I bought a portable kerosene heater for when I dont want to turn the central heating on, great little thing and cheap to run too.

Must be a separate one for it, as I have 2 meters. Well I think the solution will be: mobile heaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hope you have Carbon Monoxide detectors around anyway, especially with portable heaters in use.

http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/

• Advertisement

Yes, I do and plenty of ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

AFAIK if you give 28 days notice you should be able to leave without losing your deposit. Have a look at this
    > http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html?printpreview=1

Advertisement