Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naming a *suspect*: right or wrong?

• 05-10-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

If we believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, there has to be something wrong with police naming a mere suspect in a case, that is naming somebody who has not had a right to due process and his good name before being judged by a court of law. This naming happened over in Britain in the past week, in this case, and appears to have been largely if not entirely motivated by the desire of the police to be seen to be doing something in the case. In other words, media pressure resulted in an individual being named. The individual in question was not even charged with a crime. That, to my mind, sets a very dangerous precedent.

Even if a person is cleared of a crime afterwards, there will always be a "no smoke without fire" attitude to him/her. Their good name is gone. Other than some vicarious tabloid-type satisfaction for emotionally unstable sorts, what does society gain by the state naming an imprisoned person - that is, somebody who is not a threat - as a mere suspect in a case?

Do you think suspects should be named in Ireland before they are found guilty? Or is the current Irish situation of naming them only when they are charged acceptable to you?

Is it right that a mere suspect in a case should be named? 22 votes

Yes
    0%
    No, only people *found guilty* after a fair trial should be named
    18%
    Zebra3howamidifferentBirrocStinicker 4 votes
    No, only people *charged* with a crime should be named
    81%
    R0otMickerooGLaDOSxtal191JuliusCaesarPaz-CCFCMiss LockhartaaronjumperGhost BusterSeanchaiCasillasLawrence1895The Jammy dodgerRichard HillmanKKkittySureYWouldntYaTombi!mitosis 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I'm not knowledgeable on the subject but my gut reaction is: no, they should not be named unless found guilty. Can't stop Chinese whispers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I would say name them only when they are proven guilty once a person is named people consider them guilty on some way and it would be unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No, only people *charged* with a crime should be named
    No way should people be named unless found guilty.
    Even if found innocent it would follow them around forever.

"There's your man, accused of murder years ago, so he was"

Apologies for the language I'm just out of the Irish etiquette thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I think it depends. If there's a a significant amount of evidence to suggest someone did it and they're on the run and the police can't find them, then naming them and publicising the case could help the police catch them.

However, if the police have already have the suspect in custody there should be no reason as to why they would release his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Seanchai wrote: »
    If we believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, there has to be something wrong with police naming a mere suspect in a case, that is naming somebody who has not had a right to due process and his good name before being judged by a court of law. This naming happened over in Britain in the past week, in this case, and appears to have been largely if not entirely motivated by the desire of the police to be seen to be doing something in the case. In other words, media pressure resulted in an individual being named. The individual in question was not even charged with a crime. That, to my mind, sets a very dangerous precedent.

Even if a person is cleared of a crime afterwards, there will always be a "no smoke without fire" attitude to him/her. Their good name is gone. Other than some vicarious tabloid-type satisfaction for emotionally unstable sorts, what does society gain by the state naming an imprisoned person - that is, somebody who is not a threat - as a mere suspect in a case?

Do you think suspects should be named in Ireland before they are found guilty? Or is the current Irish situation of naming them only when they are charged acceptable to you?

The case in Wales I think, will later prove to be a lot more macabre and complicated than we know at the minute.

Its undeniable that naming Bridger in this case was something extraordinary, but I believe the Welsh police took extraordinary steps in an extraordinary case.

I don't want to join the witch hunt, speculators, idle gossipers, and (bad) news junkies currently out there, salivating over this case, but the police must have felt it necessary to release his name/pics etc, in an effort for the public to assist them inn whatever means possible.

The police have been more than short of details of what it is they actually have on the man, but i think its safe to assume they must have something pretty solid to warrant taking the steps they did with exposing him.

I say this as a person who, against all odds still hopes the little child turns up alive.
    I know its f doubtful, but at this moment in time, unless the police really have some definite info on this little girls whereabouts/fate. Hope is no bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I was surprised alright when police named the suspect in a TV press conference, though the reporter referred to it as 'an unusual step', so I guess it's not normal practice, and it shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Snotzenfartz

If someone's not guilty then why would they be a suspect?

In your face, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

In your face, OP.
    The clue is in 'suspect'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

In your face, OP.

Are you serious?

Someone needs to sit you down and explain the difference in being suspected of something, and convicted of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'm not knowledgeable on the subject but my gut reaction is: no, they should not be named unless found guilty. Can't stop Chinese whispers though.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

keith16 wrote: »
    Purple monkey dishwasher.
    Exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

There's something really dodgy about that case, and I won't be at all surprised if this guy had nothing to do with the girl's disappearance.

So, if he is innocent, isn't it possible that he was very happy to be named and have his photo published by the police - in the hope that someone might come forward to clear him, i.e. to say that they'd seen his elsewhere at the time she was abducted?

In general, I'd absolutely disagree with naming suspects ... however, in a high-profile case such as this, it's absolutely inevitable that the media would have ended up naming him and digging up all sorts of dirt on him. So, when it was going to happen anyways, perhaps the police decided to do so in such a way that they believed might benefit the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I voted for no unless charged, but it's far more complicated than that. There could be many reasons why the police named Bridger other than that of media pressure. Naming him as the only and overwhelmingly likely suspect could have sparked something in someones head who may have some info which could have been of help to the Police and search parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Don't think a suspect should be named until charged unless there are exceptional circumstances. The cops in Wales got this one right IMO.

However, I do think we should get rid of this 'known to Gardai' bollocks. Thats like saying we think he's guilty of something.

It was bad form when they used it about that young lad who was knocked down by a drunk off duty guard (allegedley).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I think he was named as police were appealing for information on his whereabouts during that day. If people didn't know who he was, they couldn't provide any information. We don't know what evidence the police have to suspect his involvement, but they do seem to think he was involved in some way.

It is a strange case, if he is found to be innocent he will probably have grounds to sue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Precise Pangolin

Gee Bag wrote: »
    However, I do think we should get rid of this 'known to Gardai' bollocks. Thats like saying we think he's guilty of something.
    Usually peple are 'known to the Gardaí' because they are guilty of something - it is basically code for 'known criminal'.

Advertisement