Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting off lanterns?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Basically me and a few others want to know if its ok to set off a few lanterns as were having a party for someone at our house tomorrow. Are there any regulations that state we cant? Id really appreciate some help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

The cost guard like to be informed so they are not mistaken for distress flares.

http://afloat.ie/safety/coastguard/item/14915-coast-guard-appeals-over-chinese-lanterns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They should really be banned. Inform the coastguard yes, but what happens then if somebody does get into trouble at sea at that time and they get a report of a flare...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I can see this being talked about on galway bay radio again....UFO'S were spotted over galway bay and this supposed alien craft pictured below in the Sun newspaper (:confused:) is proof that they were intelligent alien occupants and wanted to land. Unfortunately they were chinese lanterns. Again.

Yep.. Bad for the airliners and bad for the coastgaurd and yes they should be banned. Won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

lanterns look nothing like flares, but sadly that doesnt stop people ringing the coast guard even if they're clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Basically me and a few others want to know if its ok to set off a few lanterns as were having a party for someone at our house tomorrow. Are there any regulations that state we cant? Id really appreciate some help

Thanks

no law against it, but given your proximity to the coast it could easily be mistaken for a distress signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

swiftman wrote: »
    lanterns look nothing like flares, but sadly that doesnt stop people ringing the coast guard even if they're clueless.

Not nice to be calling the coastguard clueless :D

Seriously ... I wouldn't know the difference between a lantern and a flare. I'm not clueless, just not nautically minded, so never needed to know about flares. And I've never consciously seen lanterns.

So - why aren't they banned? Who gains from not banning them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

These lanterns should be banned.

Risk of confusion with flares

Also a fire risk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

JustMary wrote: »
    Who gains from not banning them?

The filthy hippies who set them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Manufacturers and distributors of Chinese Lanterns obviously. :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 paddychipmunk

Great fun ,especially this time of year , dark nights , bangers, rockets , flares.
    lanterns .
    then you get to see the coast guard heli in action , great photo opp .
    I for one love em.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bannerdb

The filthy hippies who set them off?
    There's no need to be rude

Advertisement