Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy "raw" milk? (poll attached)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Raw milk is an excellent probiotic pasteurising takes a lot of that away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Having worked in a dairy science lab, the answer is no.

You can't just expect to throw the word 'science' onto a thread and expect everyone to be psychic as to what your point is - if you have something to say, say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

it would also depend on the health and nutrition of the cow. Grass fed cows only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I rarely buy milk at all, so no, I probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No
    stoneill wrote: »
    I though that pasteurised milk was sterile but still had the cream, it is homogonised milk that breaks up the cream.
    Homogenised milk still has the cream, the process just breaks up the fat globules so that they're blended through the milk, rather than floating on top.

I've never had raw milk, but I'd give it a try if I knew it came from cows that were properly inoculated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kylith wrote: »
    stoneill wrote: »
    I though that pasteurised milk was sterile but still had the cream, it is homogonised milk that breaks up the cream.
    Homogenised milk still has the cream, the process just breaks up the fat globules so that they're blended through the milk, rather than floating on top.

I've never had raw milk, but I'd give it a try if I knew it came from cows that were properly inoculated.
    That's a good point actually, is it the pasteurization process or homogenization process that people say kills flavour? A number of people seem to be mixing up the two, saying it's pasteurization that stops the cream floating to the top etc.

There's so much potential for diseases such as salmonella, listeria and e-coli to get into the food chain that it's not a decision to make lightly. If I were to give it a go I'd have to have a guarantee of the hygiene standards of the farm and that each batch is tested for the presence of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I grew up on a farm and back then we always used the milk from our own cows so I would have no problem drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No
    TheChizler wrote: »
    That's a good point actually, is it the pasteurization process or homogenization process that people say kills flavour? A number of people seem to be mixing up the two, saying it's pasteurization that stops the cream floating to the top etc.

Well, according to QI, most flavour in foods comes from bacteria, so if the bacteria is killed by pasteurisation then flavour would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But how come the French population is not largely incapacitated by brucellosis then ? Most French people I know have unpasteurised cheeses (and meats) etc... daily.
    Because French people care about their food. There's still a proportion of thick, ignorant farmers in this country that see their farm and the animals on it as nothing more than a source for cash and have little to no pride in what they do. We do have top class farmers but I wouldn't say it's a 50/50 split I'd say the ignorant lazy farmers that couldn't be trusted still outnumber the good ones that give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Because French people care about their food. There's still a proportion of thick, ignorant farmers in this country that see their farm and the animals on it as nothing more than a source for cash and have little to no pride in what they do. We do have top class farmers but I wouldn't say it's a 50/50 split I'd say the ignorant lazy farmers that couldn't be trusted still outnumber the good ones that give a damn.

Wow that's a very harsh statement to make against farmers. If there was money to be made in selling healthy raw products, and support on how to achieve this, maybe some would rally round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

No
    ScumLord wrote: »

What an ignorant statement, seems your username is very fitting.

Farming has changed greatly and the majority of farmers realise that the welfare of their animals is key to the business. Huge efforts are made to house animals in the best conditions and provide only top quality feedstuff for them. Neglected animals on farms is a rare sight, there are far more abandoned "pets" than poorly looked after farm animals.
    Also, there is no harm in viewing animals as a means to make money on a farm, their value actually increases their welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

That milk you get on the continent is fcukin stink.
    You cant beat the Avonmore milky white goodness.
    I've said it a million times before but I'll say it again: we're by far the best in the world when it comes to milk and rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

unpasteurized milk is all I drank growing up, we just took it directly from the milk tank so I've no problems there, however I tend to avoid dairy when I can these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

TheChizler wrote: »

Used to be able to order two kinds of milk from the milkman, ordinary milk and Jersey milk. Both were pasteurised, both had 'top of the milk' but the Jersey milk was way creamier and so the top of the Jersey milk was almost pure cream.

Tasted a lot better than homogenised milk. When did that **** become the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have drank it before and theres nothing like it. So yes I would drink it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I drink goats milk when with the inlaws. Great stuff

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No
    Unpasteurised milk is harmless(and delicious), the resricition we have here is one of our dumbest laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

There's a machine about 2 mins away from where I live which I've used a couple of times. Tis pretty good altogether, and only about 50 cent a litre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Shzm wrote: »
    There's a machine about 2 mins away from where I live which I've used a couple of times. Tis pretty good altogether, and only about 50 cent a litre.

Where you from if you don't mind me asking? :)

corkoian wrote: »
    Where you from if you don't mind me asking? :)

Living in Slovakia at the moment, just outside Bratislava.

• Advertisement

Is the machine similar to the machine in the OP? Would you recommend it?

Looks like it yeah. The machine on the left is for purchasing your bottle, either glass or plastic. Think the glass is 50c and the plastic 20c or 30c (they're both reusable). The machine next to it dispenses the milk.

I like it - if all you're after is milk, it's much quicker than having to go in to a shop plus it tastes great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used to be able to order two kinds of milk from the milkman, ordinary milk and Jersey milk. Both were pasteurised, both had 'top of the milk' but the Jersey milk was way creamier and so the top of the Jersey milk was almost pure cream.

Tasted a lot better than homogenised milk. When did that **** become the norm?

Definitely un-homogenised tastes better when you drink it straight, we get some from a farmers market in Cork, from the Glenilen farm. In cereal the cream gets mixed in with the grains and is essentially homogenised, and in tea the fat is melted and is essentially homogenised too. You only notice when all the fat gathers in one place. After all there is absolutely no chemical difference between regular and un-homogenised, it's just an inconsistent distribution. I can absolutely see why it's necessary when producing on a large scale, consumers (generally) hate variation in products from the same company. You think, oh, I had that one time and it wasn't great, I'll not buy that again. The standard is set by the worst experience. Products distributed on a commercial scale need consistency.

Advertisement