Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son with a nervous tic - what to do?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this, can't find this topic coming up before on boards, but probably searching in the wrong place!

My 7-yr-old has developed a repetative motor tic in the past month or so, whereby he shakes his head about twice a minute, but I have noticed it up to eight times a minute. It only seems to happen at certain times of the day, usually later in the day, however it has become more and more apparent in the last 2 weeks. I counted him doing it 8 times in a minute this evening whilst we were watching a DVD together, and he seems to have no control over this action at all.

My wife and her family have noticed this as well, and TBH I thought that it was just a habit that he has developed, but I am concerned that it might be symptomatic of more. We have not drawn attention it, so that he does not get too conscious about it, his sisters have not referred to it, and it has not been mentioned (so far) by teacher at school. I am a teacher myself, but I have not noticed this in a child in any of my classes before. I think he is aware of it, but he has not mentioned it to us yet.

His granddad took a minor stroke about 6 weeks ago, I feel that this may be at the back of it all. I am wondering what is the correct thing to do, should we just ignore it, do we get it checked out with a neorologist, a child psychologist or what? His aunt is concerned that it will turn into Tourettes, but she is a bit of a panic merchant anyway.

What do we do? Has anyone else any experience of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

First port of call is your gp. I don't think it can "turn into Tourettes."I'd also play it down for the moment, it may well be a thing that will be outgrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Medical advice can not be given. Please bring your concerns to a medical professional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement