Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room without an agreement?

• 05-10-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Renting a room in an apartment with one leaseholder

Should I have a contract, from the leaseholder, or the landlord?

What risks do I run by not having one?

Advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Renting a room- you are living with either the landlord under licence, or the leaseholder, as a sublicensee. If you are a sublicensee- the leaseholder *needs* to have the express permission of the landlord to sublet to you- or else he is breach of his lease- and you, are living in a property without the knowledge and/or permission of the owner.

Are you entitled to a lease in your right? No. You may have a rental agreement between you and leaseholder- however it is subservient to the lease itself between the leaseholder and the property owner.

If you get yourself named on the main lease- you are covered by the rights and obligations of the main lease- if you do not- it is an informal rental agreement between you and the leaseholder- and if it is without the knowledge and permission of the owner- its a very tenuous position to be in- you could be asked to leave without notice, at all, as you are legally not a tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thanks for that

Who can ask me to leave? The leaseholder, or the landlord, or both?

If that happened, would I have any entitlement to rent paid + my deposit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends on the exact circumstances.
    Who are you paying rent to?
    If the lease is in the name of the other person- technically they are the sole person renting the property- and they have rights and obligations with the landlord- you don't. You are 'renting' under licence from them, and have limited (if any) rights. If the landlord is made aware of the situation and its without their prior approval- you could be asked to leave there and then on the spot- you don't have the rights a tenant has in law.

Normalise the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF the rent is cheap ,leave it as is.The Landlord may ask you to leave ,you have no legal right to stay there.
    Risks are you could be asked to leave, anytime,
    no gaurantee you could get your deposit.
    IF the landlord knows,he could ask you to leave,
    theres likely a no sublets without permission in the rental agreement.
    you should at least have a receipt for deposit, get a rentbook, have a written record of the rent payments made.
    IN the present situation,i dont think you can claim
    tax credits for rent paid.
    if you are not happy with the situation ,
    start looking for new accomodation.

Advertisement