Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching and displaying Accounts

• 05-10-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone :)

I have recently secured my first full time teaching job as a Business Studies teacher and start teaching Day Books and Ledgers on Monday. (2nd year group)

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how best to display the accounts when showing answers in class? I have a laptop and connected overhead projector in class but have no old style projector and thus no way to use acetates.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

A visualiser sounds like your only man there, you can show work straight from the page on the projector.
    Doesnt have to as clunky as this 1!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSvwjfSkPdo

this would do nicely!
    http://www.sgeducation.ie/p/aver_u_10_a4_visualiser

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Set up some spreadsheet templates mirroring record books. It is a great way of teaching books of first entry. No messing about with acetates, you can work much quicker etc
    Make sure to zoom in or resize the pages as the cells are very small be default

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fairy1

Thanks for the replies :)

slickmcvic I don't think a visualiser would be very practical at the moment as there are none currently in the school and the money isn't available to purchase one. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

milosh do u mean using Excel? I was thinking of that process alright but wasnt entirely sure would I have everything prepared in advance or attempt to fill it out during the class lesson bit by bit so that the students could do the same in their copies. Have you had experience of this method?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Create ledger, general journal, final accounts, club accounts, etc. layouts using tables in word. For example, a balance sheet will have 5 columns that you can size to mimic the kids' record books, ledger will have 8, etc.

Print these on acetates and use an overhead projector. Do NOT write on these but on the board instead. This way, the writing is bigger and the kids get to see YOU doing the accounts, which is so important.

On occasions, sit in a desk and balance this approach by doing the qs yourself in record books. I've found that they LOVE seeing you do them too. Again, its another way for them to see the completed accounts.

Another idea when you get to the stage of testing a full ledger q is to circulate a copy of the official marking scheme and allow them to compare and find mistakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Create ledger, general journal, final accounts, club accounts, etc. layouts using tables in word. For example, a balance sheet will have 5 columns that you can size to mimic the kids' record books, ledger will have 8, etc.

Print these on acetates and use an overhead projector. Do NOT write on these but on the board instead. This way, the writing is bigger and the kids get to see YOU doing the accounts, which is so important.

On occasions, sit in a desk and balance this approach by doing the qs yourself in record books. I've found that they LOVE seeing you do them too. Again, its another way for them to see the completed accounts.

Another idea when you get to the stage of testing a full ledger q is to circulate a copy of the official marking scheme and allow them to compare and find mistakes etc.

Sorry, I just re read your post and see you have no overhead. Get one from another teacher. Somebody in the school has to have one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 fairy1

Sorry for the late reply everyone. Its been a hectic week. :) I decided to trial run using Excel spreadsheets and use a combination of typing in class and writing on the board and it seemed to go ok. So I shall keep going with that as best I can. Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help, much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 saffeyyogi22

Im in N.U.I.G doing Accounting and over the past few years different professors have used different ways. Over head is easier to follow ( for me ) but most professors are using excel sheets from there laptop and filling in answers as they are going.

Advertisement