Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone fly powerkites in Galway?

Options
  • 06-10-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Looking for someone interested in bringing someone with little experience along.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Yes :) Not many of us landkiters around in Galway unfortunately. Been flying for around 6 years now. How experienced are you? You brand new to the kiting world (if so welcome, we're a pretty tight group :) ) or just looking someone to fly with? Would be happy to help out sometime if you have any questions. I fly on the pitches in Renmore but haven't flown there in a while because of the crappy weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Brad768 wrote: »
    Yes :) Not many of us landkiters around in Galway unfortunately. Been flying for around 6 years now. How experienced are you? You brand new to the kiting world (if so welcome, we're a pretty tight group :) ) or just looking someone to fly with? Would be happy to help out sometime if you have any questions. I fly on the pitches in Renmore but haven't flown there in a while because of the crappy weather

If there's some sort of group that would be class but yes I am looking for someone to fly with - I have very little experience. Renmore is close to me :)

euser1984 wrote: »
    If there's some sort of group that would be class but yes I am looking for someone to fly with - I have very little experience. Renmore is close to me :)

No group unfortunately as there isn't many suitable areas in Galway for land kiting. What kite have you got yourself? :)
    I have a 2m peter lynn hornet that I've had since I started and a 10m Ozone Access which I got the start of this year. Sadly, kiting season is beginning to end now that winter is coming :( So I'd say enjoy the last few sessions you can get before it becomes too gusty.
    Do you any intentions of progressing onto something like a landboard? I would recommend a buggy as well but unless you are willing to travel quite far, there isn't much room in Galway.
    If you do wish to progress to landboarding, remember this.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Brad768 wrote: »
    No group unfortunately as there isn't many suitable areas in Galway for land kiting. What kite have you got yourself? :)
    I have a 2m peter lynn hornet that I've had since I started and a 10m Ozone Access which I got the start of this year. Sadly, kiting season is beginning to end now that winter is coming :( So I'd say enjoy the last few sessions you can get before it becomes too gusty.
    Do you any intentions of progressing onto something like a landboard? I would recommend a buggy as well but unless you are willing to travel quite far, there isn't much room in Galway.
    If you do wish to progress to landboarding, remember this.....:)

I thought the wind would be better at this time of the year and following as long as the rain holds off.

I've got my beginners Beamer 3 and a Blade V 4.9m :cool:

Blade is way out of my league tho. :(

euser1984 wrote: »
    I thought the wind would be better at this time of the year and following as long as the rain holds off.

I've got my beginners Beamer 3 and a Blade V 4.9m :cool:

Blade is way out of my league tho. :(

Yeah at the minute, they will be better than what they were in mid summer but as soon as winter comes along, your kind of packed down until around mid Jan where the gusty winds start to go away.

Beamer is a good start :) The blade....not so much :P Just save that for very low wind days and just remember to respect that beast. It's an awfully big animal for it's size.....
    For some reason the site is down at the minute but when it's back up, come take a look at the Kiting Ireland site. The majority of us are land kiters based throughout the country so you can learn quite a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

I'm based in Tuam but sadly have never had a kite in the sky in Galway as I'm focused on Kite Buggying. Thankfully our race season has only started and our next event is Oct Bank holiday in Sligo, its my closest spot to Tuam to buggy.

As well as the kiting ireland website have a look at www.ipksa.com for all events. If you want to come along theres plenty of bodies with plenty of kites and experience and we also have a spare buggy for newbies.

If u want any other info drop me a pm

Advertisement