Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Science Olympiad

Options
  • 06-10-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

On Thursday, I was told that I had been invited to the Irish EU Science Olympiad. I haven't yet decided whether or not to apply, but I thought I'd ask some questions to help that decision.
    1. If you've done this before, would you recommend it?
    2. Biology was the easiest part of science in the Junior Cert, and I heard it's the same in the Leaving Cert. Is this also true for the Olympiad?
    3. Any tips on studying for the test?
    Any extra advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

I'm going too :)

Indiego went last year, I asked her a couple of Qs and she was helpful.

What age category are you in? I'm in the older one so it'll be harder, and I'm not sure what subject I'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Agent Letrush

I'm in the older one too. Do you know if we get formula and tables books or do we have to memorise formulas?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

I'm in the older one too. Do you know if we get formula and tables books or do we have to memorise formulas?

Lol I never even thought of that! I'll be very unprepared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dean1997

What comes up in the irish juniuor science olympiad, i mean like exactly what type of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I'd recommend doing it! Looks good on your CV because even just qualifying puts you in the top few percent of Science/Maths students in the country ;)

I won the Biology section of IrEUSO in 2010, and I'm no expert on Biology! I read a fair amount of the Leaving Cert Biology book, just familiarising myself with the general ideas so I could make reasonable guesses on the day.

The first paper was on an experiment and didn't require much specific knowledge of Biology. You had to graph results from an assay and estimate values and stuff. More like Maths to be honest.

Second paper was like 100 multiple choice questions on all sorts of Biology. I guessed plenty of these but any guesses I made were founded on basic knowledge, if you know what I mean. Like there was a whole mix of stuff from genetics to the circulatory system (my memory of specifics from that paper is fuzzy) but it wasn't super super difficult. Biology's the kind of subject where you either know it or you don't, but with MCQs you can use what you do know to deduce most questions :)

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 dean1997

Thanks very much but i'm wondering if its similar for the IJSO? and waht questions come up in that?

Advertisement