Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to build a large Islamic center in Dublin

• 06-10-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Islamic-Cultural-Center-of-Ireland-by-Tawel.jpg
    Gerry Gannon, a leading property developer, has lodged a planning application with Dublin City Council for an $84 million Islamic Cultural Centre including a large mosque at Clongriffin in north Dublin.
    One of the largest development projects in its planning stages in Ireland, the 18,000sq m (195,000sq ft) facility will serve the 40,000 Muslims living in Dublin city, with a capacity to host 5,000 people at a time.
    According to reports in the Irish Times, “a Dublin-based Muslim group with support from many parts of the world has agreed purchase terms for the six-acre site located close to the Gannon-funded Dart station.”
    Previous reports in the Irish Times stated that the new development, “could put Ireland in a very favorable position in the Muslim world and lead to significant inward investment.”
    The development will include the mosque and support facilities, including a 34-classroom school, conference centre, assembly hall, playground and swimming pool. It has been designed by Paula Gill of architects Conroy Crowe Kelly.
    http://muslimvillage.com/2012/10/06/29654/plan-to-build-84-million-islamic-center-in-dublin/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

And your opinion of this is...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Rather strange that the article is illustrated with a photograph of the Clonskeagh mosque in South Dublin. A drawing of the proposed development, which the article attributes to Paula (should be Pamela) Gill of Conroy Crowe Kelly, would surely have been more informative.

Unfortunately, the only information on the internet seems to be recycled versions of the original article in the Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

hivizman wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the only information on the internet seems to be recycled versions of the original article in the Irish Times.
    Yeah, I was trying to find out some more information about this earlier and there appears to be very little out there - even the Dublin City Council website doesn't seem to have the planning application online so I'd like to know what the Times' article is quoting exactly. Perhaps there's just a lag between the documents being submitted and the information being uploaded - if anyone has more details (like the planning reference number) I'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

hivizman wrote: »
    Rather strange that the article is illustrated with a photograph of the Clonskeagh mosque in South Dublin.
    Yes, It's beautiful :p
    mosque_medium.jpg?picture=50704

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

I do slightly begrudge Dublin getting another mosque while down the country we've got nothing. For the price of this gigantor (with a swimming pool -why?)three or four modest mosques could be built where they are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

gerry gannon :/
    this country breaks my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I dont think the planning application has actually been lodged with DCC yet. I live in clongriffin and the planning notice on the hoarding just says "we are planning to lodge an application" etc. I think the Irish Times jumped the gun a bit. I will take a photo of the notice and put it up here tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I will take a photo of the notice and put it up here tomorrow
    Thanks, I'd like to see it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

blackthorn wrote: »
    I do slightly begrudge Dublin getting another mosque while down the country we've got nothing. For the price of this gigantor (with a swimming pool -why?)three or four modest mosques could be built where they are needed.

Should it not be possible to do both?

One good option is to build a centre that is multi purpose. A school for children, a mosque, a pre-school and a community centre could all be located on the same grounds.

The operation of the pre-school could be funded by the Early Childcare Scheme, which subsidises one year of free pre-school for all children. This has the added advantage of creating employment within the community.

The operation of the primary school is funded by the Department of Education, and is considered viable if there are sufficient children to warrant two teachers. In practice,this means that if there are more than 50 children of primary school age in any area, a primary school could be established. This creates employment for two class teachers, a resource teacher, a caretaker and a secretary. (The tip here is that transfer of existing schools should not be accepted, as the existing staff transfer with the school, which defeats the dual purposes of creating employment and creating a school with an acceptable religious ethos). The cost of building the primary school is funded by the Department of Ed, and the school usually has a large hall that can be used as a mosque during the evening/weekend periods. A small mosque that is permanently available to the school and the community could also be included on the site.

This builds sustainable communities, and the centre of the community is the mosque and the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 Jendrus0

subway wrote: »
    gerry gannon :/
    this country breaks my heart

mine too :(

Advertisement