Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have charged me €150 via DD two months after leaving?

• 06-10-2012 8:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain this? I had a monthly sub with no data limits costing over €40 per month. In august, before I emigrated, I asked could I keep the plan and change the bank details to those of my brother's. They said it was fine.

It wasn't. My brother had to sign up, pay an installation fee and start a whole new sub. Now, 2 months later, I was direct debited €151 just yesterday from UPC. Does anyone know how this couldve been possible and how do I get their filthy hands out of my bank account?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Did you break a contract?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like a cancellation fee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Ask them yourself in the UPC board, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Under the dd scheme you have various rights check here:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer

UPC should have given you advance notice of the amount to be debited. That is a basic requirement of the dd scheme.

You should note this paragraph in particular:
    If it is established that an unauthorised direct debit was charged to your account, you are guaranteed an immediate refund by your bank of the amount so charged where you notify your bank without undue delay on becoming aware of the unauthorised direct debit, and in any event no later than 13 months after the date of debiting of such direct debit to your account

Contact your bank immediately.

By the way giving any company a dd mandate or instruction does not entitle them to unrestricted access to your account. They are obliged to give advance notice - the default is 14 days. It is up to your bank to protect your account in the light of your instructions.

Advertisement