Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dangerous driving at scotch hall

Options
  • 06-10-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

The section of road im talking about is at the car park entrance to SH. The amount of times cars and vans have pushed up through that left lane to the bottle neck merge and nearly hit me or pushed me into oncoming traffic. Its very dangerous and many drivers think they have every right to halt traffic in the right lane to push ahead. I make a point of never being in that lane unless im going to scoth hall. But my common sense is thwarted by morons speeding up the left lane and "bullying" their way to the top.

Im not sure what can be done to stop this. Ideas? Put a barrier up to stop traffic, if you are in the wrong lane, you must wait to be let re enter normal traffic flow?
    Im not sure, but it is very dangerous and gives me endless road rage. :mad:

Section of road Im talking about.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The arrows are instructing drivers in the left lane to merge with the right. Each driver in the right lane should let one car in ahead of them to merge appropriately.

Why you try and block them when it's causing you to drift into onto traffic I don't understand. Just let them merge in as you should wherever two lanes become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

When that junction was first created, the left lane was for turning into the car park only, and was marked as such. This caused huge tailbacks towards the Mary St junction due to the volume of cars in the single outside lane. Made worse if there was a car turning right into the apartment complex (where the school was).

So it was changed, and the left lane is now for turning left and continuing straight on, as indicated by the painted arrows in the lane as one approaches the lights.

As Shiverin' said, there are "merge arrows" directing the traffic towards the outer lane once you go through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

That junction does my head in also . Assholes bullying there way up the Dublin rd at crazy speeds just to get ahead of the traffic in the right and appropriate lane . I will let someone in if the are mannerly and indicate there intention etc but the speeding dickheads can stay there imo .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't find it that dangerous at all really. I deal with it how I was told to by my instructor; if the car in the other lane is slowing down, you speed up to fill the space left. If everyone maintains a steady pace, it's not an issue.

What I would say is the left lane is the one that merges into the right and thus disappears, so obviously there's a need for the left traffic to move at a decent pace so their road doesn't run out :P

As Shiv said, "Each driver in the right lane should let one car in ahead of them to merge appropriately. "

When I started reading, I actually thought it was going to be about people coming in the other direction, moving up the lane to head into SH and then speeding quickly in front of the other lane of traffic, skipping the queue behind them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

I always keep an eye on my LHS wing mirror to see what's happening and I'll speed up slightly to let someone in behind me or slow down a bit if there's a car side by side with me and let them feed in in front of me.
    No big deal either way really, is it?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

When I started reading, I actually thought it was going to be about people coming in the other direction, moving up the lane to head into SH and then speeding quickly in front of the other lane of traffic, skipping the queue behind them...

Ive seen that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

but the speeding dickheads can stay there imo .
    I'd imagine that is what the OP is doing to find themselves facing incoming traffic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A few years back I reported a guy who deliberately came flying up the left hand lane from well back and was alongside me and expected me to give way. I had the correct road position yet he pushed in and tipped my mirror with his 12 year old car. I actually had to submit and let him ahead as there was oncoming traffic and it was either move out or brake. I shouldn't have had to brake but I obviously valued my car far more than he did.

At least he was in front of me so when we pulled up at the lights at Bryanstown I was able to scribble down his reg with ease.

It's not the end of the world if you're a car back in the traffic, that route is on my way home so I'm never in that much of a hurry there, but that junction really brings out the worst in bad drivers.

Tbh, I see that as more of a problem with drivers being idiots than with that junction; there's about ten places between Colpe and West Street that brings out the worst in drivers in similar ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Personally, I believe the issue with the left lane-way and the merging traffic is an issue orchestrated by both drivers. Give way folks.... It costs less in crash repair and liability disputes and shaves about 10 seconds max off your total journey time.

• Advertisement

Its the people that speed up the left lane that bother me, if cars are traveling at a normal pace everything goes fine, Its when cars speed up and push forward, causing others to brake to avoid a collision is what have issue with.

It happens both ways though; I've seen cars in the right lane who were further back than the ones in the left speed up and bull past...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Cars in the right lane have the right of way , if you are in the left lane you wait to be let in . Simple ...

Cars in the right lane have the right of way , if you are in the left lane you wait to be let in . Simple ...

Don't think anyone is disputing that, however common courtesy/responsible road use would dictate that the cars in the right lane not defend their lane so militantly as to risk driving into oncoming traffic rather than just allowing someone out.

Similar concept on a motorway onramp - the people on the motorway have a duty to move to the right or slow down and allow oncoming traffic to merge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

It's not a junction. It's a lane merge. It's ignorant to block users in the left lane from joining the traffic flow as the markings at the Scotch Hall junction indicate that both lanes are for straight ahead. Fair enough lefties speeding up to cut in are driving poorly but it's no worse than a righty obstructing them and forcing them to come to a stop. Courtesy dictactes that the order of the merging traffic is made up of left right left right left right etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Don't think anyone is disputing that, however common courtesy/responsible road use would dictate that the cars in the right lane not defend their lane so militantly as to risk driving into oncoming traffic rather than just allowing someone out.

Similar concept on a motorway onramp - the people on the motorway have a duty to move to the right or slow down and allow oncoming traffic to merge.

Not according to the Rules of the Road, from the National Road Safety Authority, as follows:

“Joining the motorway

When entering the motorway, exercise care and attention, and yield to traffic on the motorway. You must follow the steps below when joining a motorway.
    Use the acceleration lane to build up your speed before merging into traffic on the motorway.
    Signal early to other motorists that you intend to merge.
    As you approach on the slip road, check in your mirrors and your blind spot for a safe gap in traffic in the left-hand lane of the motorway.
    Obey road signs and road markings.
    Do not drive on hatch markings before merging into traffic on the motorway.
    Give way to traffic already on the motorway.
    Adjust your speed as you join the motorway so you match, as near as possible, the general speed of traffic in that lane.
    Treat each lane change as a seperate manoeuvre. Stay in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before attempting to overtake.”

You resurrected a two month old thread for that? That's for those drivers joining - it would have been more useful for you to quote from the POV of those drivers already on the motorway:

It is very important that you understand the purpose of each lane on a motorway. To help explain how and when to move from one lane to another, each lane is given a number. The picture below shows that lane 1 is the lane nearest the hard shoulder. This is also known as the inside lane. On a two-lane motorway, the lane nearest the central median is lane 2 (also called the outside lane). On a three-lane motorway, this lane is lane 3.

Motorway lanes:

Lane 1

The normal 'keep left' rule applies. Stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

Lane 2

On a two-lane motorway, use this for overtaking only and move back into lane 1 when you have finished. You may also use this lane to accommodate traffic merging from the left.

On a three-lane motorway, you may stay in this centre lane while there is slower moving traffic in lane 1.

Speaking of dangerous driving at shopping center car parks, I was moving past Southgate today when a woman came driving out one of the pedestrian crossings. Some feat of driving to fit the car through the barriers, but just drove right down the path and onto the road as if it was a genuine exit :eek:

Christmas driving is a bread of stupidity all on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Didnt wanna start a new thread, I head home for lunch everyday and have noticed that from the entrance to scotch hall upto wheaton hall (and beyond) the traffic is mental heading out of the town. Anyone know what is causing it? I thought it was that ridiculous junction at bryanstown turn of but the traffic seems to be on by that aswell. Ive noticed this 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks and it was never like this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Road works at the Boyne Valley hotel junction (new traffic lights going in), or trucks turning into Glanbia are possible causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Taxi drivers are always pulling up at stupid speeds in the left lane at scotch hall. I swear, for men who spend the most amount of time on their road and it being used to make their living, some (not all) are literally risking the lives of those they bully out of the way.

Personally, I'll admit to being that guy who is in the left lane at the lights without the indicator on if there is some boy racer type/someone who races up behind me.
    Lights go green, if there is something in front i will not put my indicator on straight away and take my time turning into the car park and watch them flip out behind me. I dont do this all the time however, but feel like some shouldn't be as aggressive when behind me at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Not directly related, but I always try to let aggressive drivers, impatient drivers etc thru when possible to do so safely. Only and only because what if it was a genuine emergency?... Just in case. And if they were taking advantage of my courtesy and consideration, I am sure they won't get away with that forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I try to get into lane when I can @Scotch Hall, but having said that you have every right to go straight on and merge safely with right lane traffic...
    I find it hilarious watching people in the right lane accelerate to twice their speed because they think someone is gonna get ahead of them and perhaps take 4 seconds away from their life and bruise their ego... twats!

kormak wrote: »
    I try to get into lane when I can @Scotch Hall, but having said that you have every right to go straight on and merge safely with right lane traffic...
    I find it hilarious watching people in the right lane accelerate to twice their speed because they think someone is gonna get ahead of them and perhaps take 4 seconds away from their life and bruise their ego... twats!

I'm in an Audi. I clearly have right of way over a punto. :D

Advertisement