Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger hair shaving brushes.

• 06-10-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭

Where do they get the hair for these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Chinese Badgers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question.Are they shaved or killed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, there's actually a shaving forum on boards.ie here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

Plenty of people on it use old style razors and shaving brushes (incl myself) so you'll likely get a more informed answer on it...perhaps as a mod to move your thread to the other forum.

Off hand they are farmed badgers but not sure if badger is killed or not, at a guess i'd say perhaps yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I'd pay real money to see someone try and shear a badger!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_brush#Sources_of_brush_hair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd pay real money to see someone try and shear a badger!

So would I.But all things are possible.

kneemos wrote: »
    So would I.But all things are possible.

You might reconsider that if you ever come across one!

Even a cheap synthetic shaving brush and cheap shaving soap will gives you such a better shave then slapping on Gillette with you hands. Much cheaper too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Now I'm wondering about moleskin trousers...

Nobody farms badgers.. they'd burrow out :)

Badger hair is used in brushes, flys for fishing, sporrans and some other uses but in all its very small quantity. The badgers would be dead and skinned. Irish and British badgers should be handled with extreme care because of tuberculosis.

Nobody farms badgers.. they'd burrow out :)

Badger hair is used in brushes, flys for fishing, sporrans and some other uses but in all its very small quantity. The badgers would be dead and skinned. Irish and British badgers should be handled with extreme care because of tuberculosis.

They are protected in Europe - most of the stuff comes from China where they are a pest and regally culled - from my googling this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Now I'm wondering about moleskin trousers...

What about moleskin notebooks :eek:

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gah ... this reminds me of when I found out Mince pie didn't have the moo cow type mince in it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The question pops up a fair bit on shaving forums..

I remember this particular thread from Badger & Blade: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/40248-Badger-Farm

That thread goes off in all sorts of directions, links wise.. and at least some of the brush providers are upfront about the fate of the animal.

I'm under no illusion that the animal is killed, but having read various links, the hair is a by-product for the provision of meat, in fairly poor areas of China, mainly. I have no problems with that.

'Farms', Channel 4 did a report on animals in China and I do remember seeing caged badgers, the cages more or less being the same size as the animal, sadly.

Knots, a site I've not purchased from, yet.. but one I've browsed and mooched a fair bit. Worth a visit.

http://www.emsplace.com/

Advertisement