Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get more outta UPC

• 06-10-2012 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey All,

I have been a customer of UPC for over two years and not that I expect anything more (for free) than what I pay for 63 euro for 25mb + basic channels. (no movies or sports).

But... Does anyone know cold you talk your way into getting free sports or movie package by suggesting cancel your contract?

I was talking to an UPC customer service agent and he suggested I this tactic but he couldn't give me anymore info and how to go about this....

I would love to get free movies/sports even for a trial period etc....

thx :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Hey All,

I have been a customer of UPC for over two years and not that I expect anything more (for free) than what I pay for 63 euro for 25mb + basic channels. (no movies or sports).

But... Does anyone know cold you talk your way into getting free sports or movie package by suggesting cancel your contract?

I was talking to an UPC customer service agent and he suggested I this tactic but he couldn't give me anymore info and how to go about this....

Keep dreaming tightarse, pay up or forget about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Hey All,

Sky will give you your current package half price for 3 months if you saw you are cancellling as you can't afford it. They usually offer you extra packages at half price for a 3 month period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hey All,

Call and ask to be put through to the cancellations department, then say you want to cancel because you got a better offer from Sky for digital pack inc. movies and sports.
    The agents get commission for keeping you as a customer, so they'll make you a good offer to stay. I think I got 1 free month of movies & Sports and a cheaper monthly price on the digital package too.

You've nothing to lose by trying!

P.S, Just be aware by accepting any offer,you'll probably be put into a new 12 month contract with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try "I want more, and I want it free"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I phones sky and told them I wanted to cancel my package as all my tvs had freeview anyway. They offered me a fantastic deal with my phone line ad unlimited wifi. I'm practically gettin my phone and Internet for free. Only yesterday they rang me to offer me half price movies for 3 months - when I agreed the person tried to apply it to my account…the way my account was set up (I don't know what way) but the discount was bringing the movies much less than half price and he was only able to make it work if it was effective until the end of April.

So I'm now paying £62 for all sky channels inc movies (that's with 2 sky boxes multiroom and HD), my phone line with free calls and unlimited wifi…so I'm a happy camper :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Never you mind how I get the most outta my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

Yea just ask to be put through to the cancellations department they will definitely do a deal for you.We pay €67 a month and get 100mb internet a home phone with free calls and the basic plus channels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hey All,

you could try and drop to just interweb for €33 or so and torrent like a leech

not sure if they still do the phone line for free - worth considering
    (IIRC if you drop TV you have to pay €7 but it's €7.50 for the phone line )

you will get about 14 basic TV channels - fuzzy but watchable

a second sky box or freesat box will get lots of other channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Long Time Reader

Call and ask to be put through to the cancellations department, then say you want to cancel because you got a better offer from Sky for digital pack inc. movies and sports.
    The agents get commission for keeping you as a customer, so they'll make you a good offer to stay. I think I got 1 free month of movies & Sports and a cheaper monthly price on the digital package too.

You've nothing to lose by trying!

P.S, Just be aware by accepting any offer,you'll probably be put into a new 12 month contract with them.

great thx,

this and the other advice given so far is great. I'll get to work on this asap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kidnap Craig Doyle.

Ring UPC and tell them you're tired of putting up with ordinary broadband and want free stuff in exchange for Craig's freedom.

Wait.......

I predict a Ruthless People type situation developing where UPC don't want him back because they have him insured for millions and you and ol' Craig have to hatch an ingenious plan to get your own back on the bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Long Time Reader

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Kidnap Craig Doyle.

Ring UPC and tell them you're tired of putting up with ordinary broadband and want free stuff in exchange for Craig's freedom.

Wait.......

I predict a Ruthless People type situation developing where UPC don't want him back because they have him insured for millions and you can ol' Craig have to hatch an ingenious plan to get your own back on the bastards.

I figure next Halloween I'd have my very own Craig Doyle skin-suit. "Rub the lotion in Craig"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You ring up and say you want a little something. The reps have a bit of discretion and will give people stuff to keep them happy. But if ya dont ask ya cant get.

If they tell ya to fcuk off then ya tell them your upset that they dont value your custom and will have to have a think about how much you value their service.

For sports movies, ring up and ask about it and its price and what ya get. Then say "ahh no its too expensive and I dont know if its worth it". They will probably offer you a couple months free to try it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vampire tap in next door neighbours cable

or give your neighbour a coupla quid to get an extra multiroom point installed, then run the cable to your gaff

or do the reverse and sell cable to your neighbour to finance your addiction to the goggle box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I saw some programme on Channel 4 about 8pm some weeknight months and months ago. It was some show giving tips on people saving money. One of the tips was that, on average, 75% of those that call tv subscription providers, telephone companies etc got a discount on their package when threatening to leave. Supposedly these businesses have a "negotiation department" of some sort that you are put through to and they have authority to come to payment plans of some sort.

Never tried it myself but thats what the programme said.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Keep dreaming tightarse, pay up or forget about it

Last time I had sky movies and sports it was at a fúcking stupid price, there's being a tightarse and then there's not being an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

vampire tap in next door neighbours cable

can this actually still be done??

Ah god bless my student days when we had people almost fall out of second story windows to get at that cable.:D

Firefox11 wrote: »
    can this actually still be done??

Ah god bless my student days when we had people almost fall out of second story windows to get at that cable.:D
    yes

But there really isn't much point since all the digital channels apart from RTE1 are encrypted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Should the thread be posted in the 'Scamming' forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

yes

But there really isn't much point since all the digital channels apart from RTE1 are encrypted :pac:

I never thought I could imagine something worse than no TV. You just proved me wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I have upc by the balls. all their cables and a box for the road are on the side of my house, with a cable also running under my drive way for broadband for the road. We always had discounts for these boxes from ntl etc. UPC then took over and said we had to pay full price.

"Ill rip all the wires and off my house"

....You can keep your discounts so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Should the thread be posted in the 'Scamming' forum?

We've got a scamming forum?

Holy sh*t! Where? Where? Where?

Advertisement