Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apple seed germinated in apple, normal?

• 06-10-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

My daughter today ate an apple and found that 2 seeds inside were already germinated (sprouted) in the core. Is this normal?
    how long would an apple have to be picked for this to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

can happen, apples can germinate readily but you would generally get a better germination rate if the seeds were exposed to cold for a length of time to break their dormancy.

maby these apples were exposed to a slightly colder cold storage than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Plant them.
    We planted seeds from a pink lady and it's about ten inches tall now. Girls are very excited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's probably too late to plant them; they'd get fried by a cold night soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

it's probably too late to plant them; they'd get fried by a cold night soon.

Little pot in the kitchen window and they'll come on great. Then harden them off next summer. Nothing ventured- nothing gained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Am I right in thinking that they probably wouldn't be true to their parent tree?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes; in the same way that a child is not a clone of either of its parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

They wont be the same as the parent and the seedling when it matures will probably be more like a cooking apple. The performance of the plant in apple production terms will probably be less too. Saying that they can make a good addition to a hedgerow and I have one that I grew for sentimental reasons, it turned out to be a very sweet cooker but sadly very few apples every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I have just put some apple seeds into the fridge in an attempt to germinate them. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so how did they work out?

Advertisement