Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Bridger, is the British army a training school for criminals ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I would have thought it was a training school for soldiers, but then I'm a bit naive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

What about all the people committing crime who were never in the Armed Forces? What's their excuse?

A lot of the problems arise from the lack if support veterans receive when they return home from overseas, many spiral into a life of drink and drugs and all that comes with. The mental injuries received overseas far outweighs the physical ones we hear about on the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Oh anecdotal evidence, the best kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

That's ridiculous tbh.
    Child molestors & murderers can be from any profession, race, creed & sex.
    How many men & women went through the British army without sexually abusing prisoners of war or children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I see that Mark Bridger the main suspect arrested for the disappearance of April Jones is an ex British soldier. However Bridger wouldn't be the first ex Brit arrested for horrendous crimes as seen in the links below. Now it has to be said that the criteria for joining the Irish Defence Forces is much higher than the Brits and hence the Irish army isn't a breeding ground for the likes of Bridger and other Jeremiah Kyle show thrash that many of them seem to be. Basically, the British army will take anyone. Surely it's time the British govt did something to see the public are protected from Bridger and others instead of training them to be more violent ?

" Mark Bridger, a former soldier who was born and brought up in Surrey, has lived in the mid–Wales town of Machynlleth since the late 1980s "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9583240/April-Jones-profile-of-former-soldier-Mark-Bridger.html

An estimated 20,000 veterans are in the criminal justice system, with 8,500 behind bars, almost one in 10 of the prison population.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops

" Military police investigate Afghan child abuse claims "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9021936/Military-police-investigate-Afghan-child-abuse-claims.html

" Exclusive: Secret Army squad 'abused Iraqis' "
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-secret-army-squad-abused-iraqis-1854749.html

" Hereford SAS soldier guilty of child abuse charges "
    http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/local/county/9372745.Hereford_SAS_soldier_guilty_of_child_abuse_charges/

in any army, apart from the salvation, you are trained to kill. Some soldiers deal with it better than others. plenty of former Irish soldiers became murderers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Soldiers are trained both physically and mentally to kill other people. There shouldn't be any real surprise when some of them become unhinged and use their training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know four people who used to work in Xtra-Vision. Of those four guys two of them were arrested for possession of cannabis.

Xtra-Vision - Training Ground for Dopers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder whatever happened to McArmalite?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

RE Bridger - there hasn't even been a trial yet.

You're assuming guilt before evidence is presented, therefore your premise is flawed.

There shouldn't be any real surprise when some of them become unhinged and use their training.

I doubt Mark Bridger used any 'training' to kidnap and murder a small child.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    in any army, apart from the salvation, you are trained to kill. Some soldiers deal with it better than others. plenty of former Irish soldiers became murderers.

And bikers! :eek::eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know four people who used to work in Xtra-Vision. Of those four guys two of them were arrested for possession of cannabis.

Xtra-Vision - Training Ground for Dopers!

Did they give out free dvd's when they were stoned and stocktake like a mofo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I thought the army had come out and said he was never in the forces?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Did they give out free dvd's when they were stoned and stocktake like a mofo?

Nah. They just spent most of their wages on crisps and coke, listened to music and kept putting Coen Brothers movies on to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

I would have thought it was a training school for soldiers, but then I'm a bit naive
    1 in 10 prisioners in England are ex Brits, turns out a fair few criminals doesn't it ??

" An estimated 20,000 veterans are in the criminal justice system, with 8,500 behind bars, almost one in 10 of the prison population. "
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/se...tnumber-troops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Any country with any army or force, has its percentages of eventual turned into criminals.
    Not going to attack one country in particular just for the sake of gaining an opportunity to get a dig in at a particular one I might have a dislike of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It had been reported that Bridger was a former soldier, but the Ministry of Defence said today that he had never been a member of the armed forces.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

If he is guilty I'd say it wouldnt be the army training people to be like this but people like this who tend to have some fascination with the military. Probably due to the old "spoils of war" mentality that has been associated with armed conflict throughout history. Convenient excuse to indulge their evil side.

Casillas wrote: »
    RE Bridger - there hasn't even been a trial yet.

You're assuming guilt before evidence is presented, therefore your premise is flawed.
    Fair point actually.

1 in 10 prisioners in England are ex Brits, turns out a fair few criminals doesn't it ??

" An estimated 20,000 veterans are in the criminal justice system, with 8,500 behind bars, almost one in 10 of the prison population. "

Read my previous comment.

• Advertisement

What about all the people committing crime who were never in the Armed Forces? What's their excuse?

A lot of the problems arise from the lack if support veterans receive when they return home from overseas, many spiral into a life of drink and drugs and all that comes with. The mental injuries received overseas far outweighs the physical ones we hear about on the news.
    The victims of the lovely little Tommy's can confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Almost 100% of male Finnish-born inmates of prisons in Finland have served in the Defence Forces. Should I be scared to go back there?:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are you just going to regurgitate your first post to anyone who disagrees with you? Maybe debate a bit rather than quoting the same links, AH isn't your blog.

The victims of the lovely little Tommy's can confirm that.

Regardless of that, do you not see the need for proper support and treatment for returning soldiers, or are you more than happy for it to continue the way it is so you have the opportunity to post Brit bashing threads?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's no surprise that people who abhor violence would be less likely to enlist.

And you have to take into account the number of ex-servicemen
    http://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/23202.aspx
    The Royal British Legion provides financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, and their dependants. Currently, nearly 10.5 million people are eligible for support and thousands of calls are received for help every year.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I wonder whatever happened to McArmalite?:pac:
    And how are your ' friends ' Fratton Fred, Getz and Tac Foley and other Paisleyites such as tredyvicar/whitelines ? Now could you adress the OP please :)

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I thought the army had come out

If only. Love a man in uniform, me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

So ninety percent of convicted criminals are not ex soldiers. What's their excuse?

Regardless of that, do you not see the need for proper support and treatment for returning soldiers, or are you more than happy for it to continue the way it is so you have the opportunity to post Brit bashing threads?
    Interestingly but typical, I haven't seen you or any of the other Brit army groupies sympathising in the slightest with the victims of the Brits ? My first sympathy will be with the children and adult victims of the Jeremy Kyle show thrash that make up it's ranks.

Like I stated in the OP - the criteria for joining the Irish Defence Forces is much higher than the Brits and hence the Irish army isn't a breeding ground for the likes of Bridger and other Jeremiah Kyle show thrash that many of them seem to be - Maybe if they appilied the Irish DF's criteria they'd have less Mark Bridger's and so on ?

Interestingly but typical, I haven't seen you or any of the other Brit army groupies sympathising in the slightest with the victims of the Brits ? My first sympathy will be with the children and adult victims of the Jeremy Kyle show thrash that make up it's ranks.

Like I stated in the OP - the criteria for joining the Irish Defence Forces is much higher than the Brits and hence the Irish army isn't a breeding ground for the likes of Bridger and other Jeremiah Kyle show thrash that many of them seem to be - Maybe if they appilied the Irish DF's criteria they'd have less Mark Bridger's and so on ?

LOL@ our soldiers are better than your soldiers schtick :D

I'm no fan of the military, in any country but some people join to support their families, or just need the work. Not everyone has the officer class credentials you seem to be pining for...

old hippy wrote: »
    LOL@ our soldiers are better than your soldiers schtick :D

I'm no fan of the military, in any country but some people join to support their families, or just need the work. Not everyone has the officer class credentials you seem to be pining for...
    Never stated or inferred that all in the Irish DF's were of the officer class, but I get your point.

Is there any particular reason for your not joining the Irish Army?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason for your not joining the Irish Army?
    I was in the FCA ( Reserve ) in my time, or the " sandbaggers " as the regulars called us back then :D

I don't think it needs to be stated that sympathy lies with the victims, but in this case the 2 sides are victims at the end of the day. Soldiers do not have the support needed at home when they return from overseas which leads to serious problems, do you agree?

The Defence Forces have undesirables as well, and a number of soldiers have gone on to commit serious levels of crime after leaving the DF, again stemming from the lack of support made available as well as some just being plain evil.

If you actually cared for the victims of these soldiers you would see where the problem lies and the need for it to be addressed, instead you just keep spouting your anti-Brit ramblings. Why not quote figures from other armed forces?

Rascasse wrote: »
    The MoD and the Sun, not exactly reliable sources of info at an embarassing time for the British army as we have seen countless times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You could apply this logic to any profession who have many thousands of members in it. There will always be a % that do wrong.

even more moot seeing as he wasn't in the army.

/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement