Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish naturalisation after De facto visa

Options
  • 06-10-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I could not find much details after checking INIS.gov.ie website.

When you are on a Stamp 4 de facto relationship visa (working and thus paying taxes at the same time), after how many years are you entitled to apply for naturalisation?

Standard adult application is 5 years, however spouse of Irish citizen is 3 years. Non-EEA spouse of Irish citizen often gets a stamp 4 or stamp 4EU.

I suppose de facto relationships do not count in the spouse category for application but has anyone had any experience about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Alan Shatter said in a PQ reply a while ago that he was planning to amend the law to give civil partners the same status as spouses for the purposes of naturalisation, and until such time as that was done, he would use his discretionary power to treat civil partners the same as spouses for the purposes of naturalisation. I don't know if that's actually being followed in practice though.

Presumably, in order to avail of it, one would have to be not only a de facto partner but a full civil partner as well. Which means it could only apply to de facto partners of the same sex. Don't know if that helps you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ledamac wrote: »
    I suppose de facto relationships do not count in the spouse category for application . . .
    You suppose correctly.

The standard residemce requirement laid down in the Act is five years out of the last eight, but the Act gives the Minister power to modify this in certain cases, one case being that of the spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen. The Minister has exercised that power, so the residence requirement for spouses/civil partners is two out of the past four years.

However the Act gives the Minister no power to modify the requirement in the case of de facto partners of Irish citizens, so the standard requirement applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dylan00

Hi there, Am currently on a student visa from a non EU/ non EEA country and i have been with my Irish fiancee for 4 years already,she have come to with me to see my parents 2 years ago in my home country and we still together,but we are not living together as she is saving to buy a house and we were looking to get the stamp 4 can you please advice me as we are not living together yet would that cause a problem,we have pictures,Both of our family is happy with us together and we have friends who know we are together,and we still crazy in love with each other and we were going to open a joint account in the coming days.Is that a problem that prob that we are not living together??
    Thanks
    Appreciate for the reply

Advertisement