Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coding Language fo Students

• 06-10-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get the TYs to bit of programming this year. I have used C/C++ at college but maybe things have moved on a bit since then. Just wondering if any of you have any opinions or insight into what to use based on your own experiences.

I was half thinking of using Code Academy so any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get the TYs to bit of programming this year. I have used C/C++ at college but maybe things have moved on a bit since then. Just wondering if any of you have any opinions or insight into what to use based on your own experiences.

I was half thinking of using Code Academy so any feedback would be appreciated

Did you ever use scratch? It's free to use very colourful and is used in primary schools so your TYs shouldn't have a problem with it. There is a ty module in scratch but I'll have to find the address for you. I did C in college and that wasn't very exciting. If I were to use a language like that I would use Java.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I used Scratch with my TYs last year. It's very simple to use but they can do lots of different things with it. It's free to install so they can put it on their home computers as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

+1 for Scratch, it's great fun. There's a competition for schools too each year through scratch.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thanks for the replies folks. I have heard of Scratch. Is there any actual coding in it? I was put off even thinking of it as most of the courses for it are geared at Primary level and I want to challenge them a bit. But it seems as if I may have misunderstood Scratch?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks. I have heard of Scratch. Is there any actual coding in it? I was put off even thinking of it as most of the courses for it are geared at Primary level and I want to challenge them a bit. But it seems as if I may have misunderstood Scratch?

Its drag and drop so it doesn't look like coding (compared to a Java, C) but it is exactly like any other language! I'm a secondary teacher and I went to one of the primary courses and I have a background in IT and I found it challenging! I wouldn't use C as its not at all colourful and can throw a lot of errors which could put kids off. If they use scratch they can see what they're doing and it doesn't throw any errors! I know if I was a student I'd prefer scratch to C! There's also certification from ICS for completing 6 out of 10 modules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Well it's drag and drop so it's really simple to get started but introduces them to the idea of programming, shows them how loops work and things like that.

Have a look at http://scratch.ie/post-primary/resources

You could possibly use it as a starting point before moving on to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

I'm teaching a 3 month TY module and have decided to go with basic html and css. Its attractive, doable within short time frames and is a nice introduction to 'programming'. The concept of having your own webpage is a major incentive for the students. So far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Java can be drag and drop. Is drag and drop really that big a plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

As someone teaching myself from scratch (lol) I've been using a combination of all of the above.
    I started with scratch as I attended a course for it. Really liked the concept but struggled with challenges to motivate myself as an adult with it.
    I used code academy to cover a large part of the basics in javascript. I only after to practise applying the knowledge and I will go back.
    I am now writing my own website from scratch using html with the aid of codeacademy and google where required.

For me (as an adult) the big challenge is having something to work towards as opposed to just trying to learn. I got an idea for a "book" for maths that I would like for my students so I am using that to teach myself the required html, css and javascript to make it look the way I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

You could also look at python. Much more user friendly than c++ or java for beginners and a proper programming language.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[Not a teacher, just happened by the thread.]

Purists will tell you that if you're teaching people about programming, you should use a "proper" programming language. I don't necessarily agree, but if it was me, I certainly wouldn't be teaching something that's of no real practical use, like Scratch or any of the other "teaching" languages.

I like the idea of teaching kids how to write HTML and CSS, it's simple yet practical, and a gateway to JavaScript, PHP and Perl, MySQL and beyond. It's how I started out after a basic grounding in BASIC in secondary and PLC oh-so-many years ago, and I'm still at it 15 years later.

Course some might argue that that's a recommendation for BASIC. :)

Sorry to resurrect this post but I found this fantastic video which may be of interest to the people here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc&feature=youtu.be

Sorry to resurrect this post but I found this fantastic video which may be of interest to the people here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIu9yen5nc&feature=youtu.be

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

SQL queries and creating databases with oracle could be a way to go. Not too difficult. Also could get some of them to try mock Microsoft/Oracle certified exams exams. On a side note the amount of jobs in this area is unreal.

Or even Microsoft Access. Get them to write the code instead of getting access to automatically do it. Same with the queries.

Another thing you could do is install something like wordpress and let them customize it.

In C++ or Java get them to make a few small applications with a UI

Advertisement