Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot connect camera via FireWire to Windows XP computer

Options
  • 06-10-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to connect a Hasselblad camera via FireWire to a Windows XP machine.

This is after a fresh install of everything on the computer. I've also updated Windows to SP3 and installed all the subsequent updates. I then installed the camera's software.

When I insert the FireWire card into the slot, I hear the familiar low/high 'bing' sound telling me the computer has acknowledged the card.

IWhen I then connect the camera via cable to the card and turn it on, I hear the low/high bng sound telling me the camera has been acknowledged.

The problem is, there is a second stage in the connection process that isn't happening.

I know that all elements are working perfectly , as in not damaged.

Could this be a Device Manager problem? If so, how would I check?

This happened once before and I had to reset the machine (a Dell laptop) to factory state. A pain!

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dinarius wrote: »
    I'm trying to connect a Hasselblad camera via FireWire to a Windows XP machine.

This is after a fresh install of everything on the computer. I've also updated Windows to SP3 and installed all the subsequent updates. I then installed the camera's software.

When I insert the FireWire card into the slot, I hear the familiar low/high 'bing' sound telling me the computer has acknowledged the card.

IWhen I then connect the camera via cable to the card and turn it on, I hear the low/high bng sound telling me the camera has been acknowledged.

The problem is, there is a second stage in the connection process that isn't happening.

I know that all elements are working perfectly , as in not damaged.

Could this be a Device Manager problem? If so, how would I check?

This happened once before and I had to reset the machine (a Dell laptop) to factory state. A pain!

Thanks.

D.
    You could try uninstalling the device through device manager or updating the driver (start>right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware tab>Device manager). Are there any unknown devices listed under device manager?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Nick,

In Device Manager, under IEEE 1394/Imaging Devices, Hasselblad Digital Camera is listed, and it's got a yellow triangle with an explanation point in it. So, something is awry.

If I right click on Hasselblad Digital Camera and choose Properties, I get.....

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

.......I Uninstall the Hasselblad entry and run Troubleshooter having Windows look automatically for a driver. I get the 'uncertified' message and ignore it. But, still no joy.

!!!!!!!!

I was just about to post the above when, at the fifth time of asking, it installed the driver correctly.

Working now.

Jeez, computers drive me nuts!

Thanks Nick! ;)

Still having a problem........!

If I disconnect everything, shutdown, reboot and start again, the camera doesn't connect properly and I have to uninstall/resinstall in Device Manager to get it to work.

For what it's worth, Hasselblad camera does not appear under IEEE in Device Manger, but under Imaging Devices, which is immediately under IEEE in the list.

Any thoughts? This is so frustrating.

Thanks.

ps. If I turn off the camera and turn it on again, with the software open, it doesn't connect the second time. i.e. I only get one connection after the resintall of the driver.

If I disconnect everything, shutdown, reboot and start again, the camera doesn't connect properly and I have to uninstall/resinstall in Device Manager to get it to work.

For what it's worth, Hasselblad camera does not appear under IEEE in Device Manger, but under Imaging Devices, which is immediately under IEEE in the list.

Thanks.

ps. If I turn off the camera and turn it on again, with the software open, it doesn't connect the second time. i.e. I only get one connection after the resintall of the driver.

Have you checked the Hasselblad (quite an ironic name "hassle" ;)) website for newer drivers? What kind of firewire card are you using?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Thanks.

Have you checked the Hasselblad (quite an ironic name "hassle" ;)) website for newer drivers? What kind of firewire card are you using?

Nick

Have never had a problem with the card. This problem happened before after an upgrade to Service Pack 3. I did a factory restore on that occasion and turned off Updates. Worked fine.

Ive got SP3 installed again, but I'm trying to avoid the nucleur option a second time.

Will check the Hasselblad site, but I'm not hopeful.

Wonder if FireWire card manufacturers provide drivers? Card is called BestConnectivity, as far as I can make out.

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I found this link to drivers. (It's the 1394a I have) Any thoughts on whether they're kosher and which I might download. Lots of hits for BestConnectivity, but the don't seem to have a website.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?q=Bestconnectivity+IEEE+1394a+FireWire&si=7ac2eb2b1d504dcf4ca9b0b9a2637d85&st=1349547604&os=6&gqm0=Bestconnectivity+IEEE+1394a+FireWire+Windows+XP

• Advertisement

Can someone please tell me under which category I would find FireWire drivers in the following link? (column on the right of the page)

http://xpdrivers.com/microsoft/_2_135761.cfm?gclid=CMKy56Sn7rICFcWL4Qodp2QAlg

Many thanks!

D.

Try the drivers for the digital camera here. Seems as though you must register with them which is a pita but it is worth a shot :)

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

That's the site I use for all my Hasselblad needs. The software I was having a problem with was downloaded from there.

Since I don't use the computer for anything else except image capture, I went for the nucleur option and did a system Restore and reinstalled the software.

During the installation, I was prompted "Should Windows go online to search for a driver" (I think!) and I chose, "Yes, this time only"

Anyway, the software installed and the driver is listed as 'Hasselblad' (but with no details) in Device Manager. I know from experience that if I now update to Service Pack 3 again, the driver will be dumped and it will be replaced by a MSFT driver dated 2001!!

I've only just discovered (at least I think I have) the folder in which the software stores the drivers. So, I presume I could dump the MSFT driver (If I update to SP3 and have a problem) and browse to the correct one? I think it's in C: Programs Files/Hasselblad/INF/Inf.

Thanks for your help.

D.

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

That's the site I use for all my Hasselblad needs. The software I was having a problem with was downloaded from there.

Since I don't use the computer for anything else except image capture, I went for the nucleur option and did a system Restore and reinstalled the software.

During the installation, I was prompted "Should Windows go online to search for a driver" (I think!) and I chose, "Yes, this time only"

Anyway, the software installed and the driver is listed as 'Hasselblad' (but with no details) in Device Manager. I know from experience that if I now update to Service Pack 3 again, the driver will be dumped and it will be replaced by a MSFT driver dated 2001!!

I've only just discovered (at least I think I have) the folder in which the software stores the drivers. So, I presume I could dump the MSFT driver (If I update to SP3 and have a problem) and browse to the correct one? I think it's in C: Programs Files/Hasselblad/INF/Inf.

Thanks for your help.

D.

Yeah Windows can do this, you can try pointing to the Hasselband driver by doing the following:
    Right click hasselblad camera in devie manager>Update driver. Then choose "I will specify driver location". Browse to the inf location you mention above and click ok. With any luck it will detect the driver and install the correct one :)

Nick

Nick,

I couldn't bear looking at basic Windows XP, so I updated to SP3 again.

Of course, the MSFT driver was there when I fired up the camera and the camera wouldn't work.

I uninstalled the driver (I writing this out in case I have to refer back to it! :o) via Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.

I then switched the camera off and on again. The camera appeared listed in Device Manager with an exclamation mark set in a yellow triangle.

The Found New Hardware Wizard appeared.

I chose "Yes this time only option." when asked about connecting to Windows Update, followed by "Install the driver automatically."(Recommended) etc.......

That worked and the driver is listed in Device Manager as Hasselblad.

The problem is that if I switch off and on the camera, I hear the beep sound, but it doesn't connect properly, and to make it connect, I have to go through the process again. Very annoying.

Also, browsing straight to the INF/Inf folder achieves nothing. Nor does pointing it at the Windows XP folder within the INF folder.

I could live with this, but I'd like it to start normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Nick,

I couldn't bear looking at basic Windows XP, so I updated to SP3 again.

Of course, the MSFT driver was there when I fired up the camera and the camera wouldn't work.

I uninstalled the driver (I writing this out in case I have to refer back to it! :o) via Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.

I then switched the camera off and on again. The camera appeared listed in Device Manager with an exclamation mark set in a yellow triangle.

The Found New Hardware Wizard appeared.

I chose "Yes this time only option." when asked about connecting to Windows Update, followed by "Install the driver automatically."(Recommended) etc.......

That worked and the driver is listed in Device Manager as Hasselblad.

The problem is that if I switch off and on the camera, I hear the beep sound, but it doesn't connect properly, and to make it connect, I have to go through the process again. Very annoying.

Also, browsing straight to the INF/Inf folder achieves nothing. Nor does pointing it at the Windows XP folder within the INF folder.

I could live with this, but I'd like it to start normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.
    Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? It seems ridiculous to have to use such a "work around". The problem is possibly their driver, you never know, they may be able to give suggestions :)

Nick

Nick,

I've got Hasselblad on the case........

Meanwhile, I know that it runs like a train if I connect it to my desktop's FireWire socket. This is a powered connection, so the camera fires up immediately. I don't even have to turn it on.

The laptop, the machine I'm having the problem with, is connected to the camera using a FireWire 1394a express card, inserted in a socket in the side of the machine.

Can I get a powered hub for this connection? If so, what do they look like? A link to an example would be much appreciated.

It would be great to avoid this hassel and avoid having to chage the camera battery as often.

Many thanks.

D.

Since my camera works perfectly when connected to my Vista x64 DELL desktop, I thought I'd load Vista x64 onto the laptop to see if that helped matters. Big mistake! :rolleyes:

Even though it's an OK machine, I'm getting memory errors and no connectivity with the camara whatsoever - when I turn on the camera, the computer doesn't even make that 'bing' sound. Not even the USB sockets work! I ran a diagnostics program on the DELL site and got a shed load of memory errors and a notice about replacing a part - presumably memory?

I've also discovered that I no longer seem to have the get out of jail card of reverting to Windows XP by pressing Ctrl/F11 during startup. The Vista installation must have wiped it.

And I don't have a Windows XP CD...........:(

I know, I know, this damned machine was working with basic XP, and I should have left it alone. Silly me.

So, question is.....anywhere I can get bog standard XP to load onto it?

Secondly, if I do get it, what the cleanest way to install? i.e. how can I wipe everything and have nothing on the computer but Windows XP, my camera's software, a web browser and nothing else?

Many thanks, as always.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

So, question is.....anywhere I can get bog standard XP to load onto it?

Ask your friends if anyone has got a Dell OEM Windows XP CD you can borrow, they're not exactly gold dust. ;)

Just make sure the edition (Home or Professional) matches your COA license sticker and it will work with your product key.

Torqay wrote: »

Ask your friends if anyone has got a Dell OEM Windows XP CD you can borrow, they're not exactly gold dust. ;)

Just make sure the edition (Home or Professional) matches your COA license sticker and it will work with your product key.

Torquay

Thanks for that. I've put out a few requests. But, I'm willing to consider any source, if you get my drift. ;)

D.

Finally sorted! :)

I had given a computer to friends a while back and I borrowed a Windows XP CD from them.

I booted from the CD and did a slow format, followed by an install of XP. Took almost 3 hours, but ran without a hitch.

After the installation, I realized there was no sound and I wasn't being prompted to connect to the internet. So, I installed the drivers, on the separate utilities DVD, that had check marks next to them. That sorted those issues.

I then inserted the FireWire card. It installed without a hitch. So, I downloaded both the Hasselblad and Canon software. The Canon software needed .NET Framework 3 to be installed. Otherwise, it ran fine.

Finally, both cameras connected! Phew! :P

I now have the camera software and Firefox installed. Nothing else...and it's going to stay that way! I also have Automatic Updates turned off, and I intend to keep it that way. All my previous problems seemed to stem from SP3.

The computer is now running like a train!

Thanks for all the feedback.

D.

Finally sorted! :)

I had given a computer to friends a while back and I borrowed a Windows XP CD from them.

I booted from the CD and did a slow format, followed by an install of XP. Took almost 3 hours, but ran without a hitch.

After the installation, I realized there was no sound and I wasn't being prompted to connect to the internet. So, I installed the drivers, on the separate utilities DVD, that had check marks next to them. That sorted those issues.

I then inserted the FireWire card. It installed without a hitch. So, I downloaded both the Hasselblad and Canon software. The Canon software needed .NET Framework 3 to be installed. Otherwise, it ran fine.

Finally, both cameras connected! Phew! :P

I now have the camera software and Firefox installed. Nothing else...and it's going to stay that way! I also have Automatic Updates turned off, and I intend to keep it that way. All my previous problems seemed to stem from SP3.

The computer is now running like a train!

Thanks for all the feedback.

D.

Great to hear :) . Sometimes a re-install is the best option ;)

Nick

I want to update to Service Pack 3. (I know this was the cause of my camera connection problems in the past, but I'm hoping that the clean install will prevent any issues) however, I'm having problems. When using Windows Update I'm getting error messages such as Error Code: 0x80244019

A quick Google indicates that Windows Update responds badly to a fresh install.

So, my question is this, I want to download SP3 manually. Is this an OK link? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement