Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Ramsays Ultimate Cookery Course

Options
  • 06-10-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else watching this? I think it's very good. Ramsay isn't at his usual shouting for the camera tricks because there's no one else to shout at and there's no denying he's a world class cook.

There's a book out which, I think, would probably be a very useful companion (obviously part of the plot - see also Jamies 30 minute meals*)

Anyway, you can watch them ad-less here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-ramsays-ultimate-cookery-course/4od

Well worth a look IMO and probably some folk here who'll enjoy it as much as I am.

*not incl 60 mins prep
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm not a fan of him personally but I do find his recipes are fantastic and always works out as it should. His shepherds pie is a staple in our household, and I've been using his method of pan frying duck breasts, among others.

Back to the topic, I enjoy this show very much for it's simplicity. I found myself rewinding certain parts of it just to jot down the recipe. I'll have a flick through his book, and will contemplate whether I should own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Watched it all and found it excellent, this is more what he should be doing instead of that 'reality tv' tripe that he's most famous for.

I really like the lack of faffing about, it doesn't show you him chopping the onion for a minute for example, this way he squeezes a lot in to a short programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I actually think he's an amazing cook but I can't bear the sight of him (especially after finding out he was a cheating rat AND that he cooks dishes offsite for one of his London restuarants and REHEATS them on the premises :eek:). I'll give this series a go though simply because his recipes work and he can actually cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Merkin wrote: »
    I actually think he's an amazing cook but I can't bear the sight of him (especially after finding out he was a cheating rat AND that he cooks dishes offsite for one of his London restuarants and REHEATS them on the premises :eek:). I'll give this series a go though simply because his recipes work and he can actually cook.

As far as I can remember it was only in his "Pub's"(less formal I suppose) that he was using the reheated vacuum packed stuff, heard it was still excellent, like with many things maybe it can benefit from resting for a while after cooking, As an aside I was in a restaurant in Limerick called Del Arte the other day(national chain I think), as far as i could see everything except the pizza was reheated from FROZEN, I wasn't looking forward to it but my main was decent enough for a place like that.

I like Ramseys cooking, I use his Sunday Lunch book quite a bit, that new book is expensive but I might pick it up when its a little cheaper,
    Two of my favorite celebrity chefs are Marcus Wareing and Angela Hartnett, both trained by Ramsey I think, he's obviously doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think it's because he was so bloody sanctimonious on his Kitchen Nightmares programme about reheating stuff that he came across as a total hypocrite. I like Marcus Wearing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I really like the lack of faffing about, it doesn't show you him chopping the onion for a minute for example, this way he squeezes a lot in to a short programme.

Yeah I didn't Really notice until you said it - Everything's squeezed in and all the unnecessary prep like samurai chopping skills are edited out. It simplifies the recipes and you're least likely to be intimidated as you're not expected to chop onions like they do. Which makes the whole show appealing.

I remember making his Beef Wellington, which was featured on the F Word. Prior to that, no way in he'll was I ever gonna cook a BW. But he made it look simple and it turned out poi-fect. Done. Done. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I got the book. It's pretty good. Some of the recipes don't have a pic though which is always a minus for me.

BTW, if you haven't tried Ramsay's scrambled eggs you're missing out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKWsOLR4wOE

I LOVE eggs. Mad about them but I used to think 'a scrambled egg is a wasted egg' until I tried the above. Good Lord. It's magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have the series sky+'d. Thought it was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I am going to add my pennys worth. I am no Gordon Ramsay fan but I was fortunate to have lunch at his Pretus restaurant during the week in London and all I can say is wow. We did the lunch menu £30 for three courses plus 12.5% optional service charge. Before I went there I thought it would be poncey for the want of a better word but it was absolutely sublime... and the staff were excellent.

N.B. I have never eaten at a Michelin Star restaurant before do did not know what to expect but I do like good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As far as I can remember it was only in his "Pub's"(less formal I suppose) that he was using the reheated vacuum packed stuff, heard it was still excellent, like with many things maybe it can benefit from resting for a while after cooking,

I don't know exactly what was happening at Ramsey's place. But lot of the time the tabloids tend to twist the truth. I read a piece once that slated the Fat Duck for reheating vac-packed meals. When the reality was it was sous-vide cooking. There's a chance Ramsey's meals are closer to this than reheating pre-prepared stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 531 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

+1 for the scrambled eggs. They are wonderful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I really enjoyed the show and have them all save on my computer, my wife bought me the book as well and they really go well together, on a regular basis I'll get her to pick 2 dishes out of the book and I'll do those for dinner & dessert.

Advertisement