Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange cloud formation, oct 5th

Options
  • 06-10-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hi, pics were taken in North Galway.
    219.jpg

218.jpg

220.jpg
    In the last picture the dark line across the blue sky continuing the line of the clouds was there - it's not a camera fault. It looked really strange, I couldn't work out what it was. Would love to hear an explanation...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The top pictures appear to be Stratocumulus Undulatus to me.
    The straight edge look in the bottom picture is caused by the weather front.

Edit : You can see this in the satellite picture here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81110952&postcount=52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

planetX wrote: »
    In the last picture the dark line across the blue sky continuing the line of the clouds was there - it's not a camera fault. It looked really strange, I couldn't work out what it was. Would love to hear an explanation...

The dark line is simply a shadow cast by the cloud layer on the air beneath. The usual scattering of the sunlight off atmospheric aerosols, dust, etc. is reduced in the shade of the cloud, hence it appears darker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's a cloaked alien spaceship and it's electromagnetic propulsion system is what is causing the strange cloud formations.

Only messing, but i have to say, i never seen clouds shaped like that before in a rectangular shape, strange rare event i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

zenno wrote: »
    It's a cloaked alien spaceship and it's electromagnetic propulsion system is what is causing the strange cloud formations.

Only messing, but i have to say, i never seen clouds shaped like that before in a rectangular shape, strange rare event i'm sure.

It's normal altocumulus undulatus, but it is occuring right on the edge of the frontal cloud layer, hence the truncated edges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Su Campu wrote: »
    The dark line is simply a shadow cast by the cloud layer on the air beneath. The usual scattering of the sunlight off atmospheric aerosols, dust, etc. is reduced in the shade of the cloud, hence it appears darker.

:o seems obvious now.
    It was cool that the angle of the shadow exactly continued the line of the front though, it looked really weird at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement