Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often should kids be taken out of school for matches

• 06-10-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a son in 5th class and it seems that his whole class has been taken to matches once a week since school has started back, thereby missing in some cases 4 hours of teaching time.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is it a big school or a small one? Normally only the players involved travel to games.
    If it is small then maybe a lot of the boys and girls might be on the football teams. Schools tend to have the boys and girls playing the same day where possible to lessen the disruption to classes.
    The football games are on for the month of September and October generally. About 5 matches is normal enough.
    It might happen that you have 2 matches in a week, but normally only 1. Half of them being away matches and half at home.
    Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume it is Cumann na mBunscol matches at this time of year?As already said, 5 matches is about average.Matches are now generally played during school time to make sure kids can be back to get buses/lifts home in time.

If you don't want your child going, you could say it to the school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

That's the norm if children are on a school team all right. It's usually for a few weeks at a time at different stages of the year, it doesn't go on all year round. The odd time teams end up going to matches twice a week depending on dates that suit different schools in leagues. It's only matches that take place during the day, training is done after school a few days a week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our school the teachers train the hulring/camogie/boy's and girls' football teams on their own time, this time cannot be used as part of the Croke Park hours either.I think team sport is great for any child both socially and physically and I don't think it's a big issue if they miss some desk time to play matches.There are some children who might never join a club or play on a team outside of school, it's fantastic that those children and even those who do ,get a chance to play together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maryk34

My child plays with the school and has been taken out 3 or 4 times this year for matches. I have no problem with this and am delighted the school is giving him the chance to play sports. It's only for a few weeks and am sure the teacher will catch up on any work missed during the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

maryk34 wrote: »
    My child plays with the school and has been taken out 3 or 4 times this year for matches. I have no problem with this and am delighted the school is giving him the chance to play sports. It's only for a few weeks and am sure the teacher will catch up on any work missed during the games.

Those few times we went and played matches were some of the best experiences I had in primary school. As long as the time is made up after then I think everyone should be in favour of it, regardless of what people may think about the sport.

Children can learn so much more from being on a team and winning/losing a match than they might from a maths lesson that would happen during the same period.

Advertisement