Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"You know, like" - No, I don't know, like!

• 06-10-2012 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

What is it with every English-speaking gobshíte on every station using this expression? It's not just English speakers in Ireland. In the US and Britain they are just as bad, as a cursory listen to a British or US guest on the radio will confirm.

"You know" is everywhere as a pause in a sentence, or between sentences. It's not limited to people who make occasional appearances on radio. I can overlook that, but turn off the radio quickly. Almost every professional journalist, lobbyist and politician in Ireland can't resist saying "you know" in at least every third sentence. Seasoned, and otherwise excellent, journalists like Áine Lawlor use it constantly, and I cannot think of a single professional politician who, you know, avoids it. You didn't know, did you!

Is there anybody in Ireland who can speak clearly, directly, crisply and succinctly without "em", "eh", "like" or "you know" being plastered through their speech? Listening to that nasty, bullying Terry Prone individual say "you know" throughout her media appearances may be an indicator of part of the problem. She receives a huge amount of money to train people how to speak in public!

Surely it cannot be that difficult for people in public life to get rid of this inane, vacuous habit of saying "you know" in every sentence? It destroys any good points they have to say and adds nothing to whatever agenda or cause they are pushing.

/rant over

What Are Interrupters (You Know, Like This One) Doing in Our Prose?

And don't get me started on people using "you know, like" in the middle of an otherwise decent conversation in Irish. :mad:

What commonplace expressions in the English language do you hate most?

Can you think of a single public figure who avoids all of the above meaningless hackneyed expressions when talking? I really cannot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Literally, at the end of the day, it's a game of two halves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thinly veiled ''I know lots of words'' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 reality19

Audrey Carville - late of BBC World Service & now occasionally on RTE -- Perfect diction & none of those
    hateful phrases/words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hardly a big deal, like!

Be grand :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

GAA players on tv are probably the worst offenders when being interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Like totes!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

It's our variant of the language known as Hiberno-English.

It developed from direct translations from Irish into English and just kind of stuck with us.

Example (Standard English) Do you know that six people were fired today?

(Hiberno-English) Six people were fired today, you know?

Just a cultural trait and nothing to be annoyed about. It's a part of what makes us - us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

You better avoid Limerick if that annoys you, like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Seanchai wrote: »
    What is it with every English-speaking gobshíte on every station using this expression? It's not just English speakers in Ireland. In the US and Britain they are just as bad, as a cursory listen to a British or US guest on the radio will confirm.

"You know" is everywhere as a pause in a sentence, or between sentences. It's not limited to people who make occasional appearances on radio. I can overlook that, but turn off the radio quickly. Almost every professional journalist, lobbyist and politician in Ireland can't resist saying "you know" in at least every third sentence. Seasoned, and otherwise excellent, journalists like Áine Lawlor use it constantly, and I cannot think of a single professional politician who, you know, avoids it. You didn't know, did you!

Is there anybody in Ireland who can speak clearly, directly, crisply and succinctly without "em", "eh", "like" or "you know" being plastered through their speech? Listening to that nasty, bullying Terry Prone individual say "you know" throughout her media appearances may be an indicator of part of the problem. She receives a huge amount of money to train people how to speak in public!

Surely it cannot be that difficult for people in public life to get rid of this inane, vacuous habit of saying "you know" in every sentence? It destroys any good points they have to say and adds nothing to whatever agenda or cause they are pushing.

/rant over

And don't get me started on people using "you know, like" in the middle of an otherwise decent conversation in Irish. :mad:

Can you think of a single public figure who avoids all of the above meaningless hackneyed expressions when talking? I really cannot.

Ah sure you know yourself like, people are *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

/rant over

Stop making up words godammit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

They have this in other languages too. The French throw in stuff like bon, bas for a pause in sentence for example when thinking of what to say next. I would imagine other languages are similar. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the butchering of the queens English. I do it myself all the time when public speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

reality19 wrote: »
    Audrey Carville - late of BBC World Service & now occasionally on RTE -- Perfect diction & none of those
    hateful phrases/words

You are good Audrey. And dreamy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lookit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

What do I hate? Ah sure, you know yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"i spuz like, d'ye know, at the end of the day, we were put to the pin of our collar, d'ye know like"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

squod wrote: »
    Thinly veiled ''I know lots of words'' thread.

Original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

It destroys any good points they have to say and adds nothing to whatever agenda or cause they are pushing.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Common people shouldn't be allowed air time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Barack Obama. Kevin Myers. Brian Dobson. Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's a nervous thing. Very few people are completely comfortable speaking into a mic or a camera so they resort to default phrases like that.

Anyway, there are far more important things to be worrying about. Have a **** or go out and get laid, you know, like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

It's a nervous thing. Very few people are completely comfortable speaking into a mic or a camera so they resort to default phrases like that.

I get that, but why people who are professionally using the English language in public lifeare repeatedly doing something as amateurism and unprofessional as this is not clear.
    Anyway, there are far more important things to be worrying about.

Clearly, like the Manchester United versus Fulham soccer match.

No it doesn't.

Written by somebody who undoubtedly uses "you know, like" a lot and just can't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Is there anybody in Ireland who can speak clearly, directly, crisply and succinctly without "em", "eh", "like" or "you know" being plastered through their speech? .

Em....eh....ah feck it, I give up. Whats the answer?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Barack Obama. Kevin Myers. Brian Dobson. Vladimir Putin.

OK. Newsreaders are an exception! Thank you. Not so sure about Myers as I tend to turn the station when he comes on.

Dockington wrote: »
    They have this in other languages too. The French throw in stuff like bon, bas for a pause in sentence for example when thinking of what to say next. I would imagine other languages are similar.

Interesting point. I wonder do professional politicians, journalists, radio presenters etc get away with such sloppy and lazy French in France, though.

Casillas wrote: »
    It's our variant of the language known as Hiberno-English.

It developed from direct translations from Irish into English and just kind of stuck with us.

Example (Standard English) Do you know that six people were fired today?

(Hiberno-English) Six people were fired today, you know?

Ahem. Would you have an academic source for that? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

kneemos wrote: »
    Lookit.

I've heard it a few times.What does it mean?

Here;

Professor Terence Dolan, who has just completed a third edition of his Hiberno-English dictionary, discusses the way Irish people use the English language with Stephen Dineen.

For Terence Dolan, an expert of Hiberno-English for over thirty years, the distinctly Irish use of English is alive, well and changing. “One reason I write this stuff on Hiberno-English,” explains Dolan, “is I’m trying to celebrate the Irish use of English, to give it a full grammatical pedigree and to show how it’s used throughout the country and other places too.”

Dolan says there are three main components to Hiberno-English: the spoken word’s grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. The grammar is based on the Irish language. “There’s no have in Irish, so you can’t say ‘I have written the book’ in Irish,” he explains, hence the Hiberno-English: ‘I’m after writing the books’. Translated grammar (from Irish) is the source of and being used instead of while in certain sentences e.g. ‘He came in and me having my dinner

http://www.eolasmagazine.ie/irish-english-explained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

OK. Newsreaders are an exception! Thank you. Not so sure about Myers as I tend to turn the station when he comes on.

I hear ya. Sometimes the biscuit is more important than the wrapper, you know ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

they're called fillers and used in every language, for example in france they often say 'eh bien' when pausing for thought.....it's a natural thing to do so i don't know why you're so annoyed about it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I get that, but why people who are professionally using the English language in public lifeare repeatedly doing something as amateurism and unprofessional as this is not clear.

Clearly, like the Manchester United versus Fulham soccer match.

One more notch added to my profile views. Result.

Anyway, football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

so not only are you a grammer nazi, but you actually made a tred on being one

*tuts*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The overuse of I suppose gets on my wick.

IM0 wrote: »
    so not only are you a grammer nazi, but you actually made a tred on being one

Grammar. Thread.

Here;

Professor Terence Dolan, who has just completed a third edition of his Hiberno-English dictionary, discusses the way Irish people use the English language with Stephen Dineen.

For Terence Dolan, an expert of Hiberno-English for over thirty years, the distinctly Irish use of English is alive, well and changing. “One reason I write this stuff on Hiberno-English,” explains Dolan, “is I’m trying to celebrate the Irish use of English, to give it a full grammatical pedigree and to show how it’s used throughout the country and other places too.”

Dolan says there are three main components to Hiberno-English: the spoken word’s grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. The grammar is based on the Irish language. “There’s no have in Irish, so you can’t say ‘I have written the book’ in Irish,” he explains, hence the Hiberno-English: ‘I’m after writing the books’. Translated grammar (from Irish) is the source of and being used instead of while in certain sentences e.g. ‘He came in and me having my dinner

http://www.eolasmagazine.ie/irish-english-explained

I'm afraid that doesn't support your claim at all.

• Advertisement

Anyway, football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that.

So, if you're Irish, why don't you follow football rather than follow [British] soccer?

How so? We have a distinct way of speaking English, e-mail and ask any English Lecturer in any Irish University.

There's no reason whatsoever for us to learn to speak Queen's English to perfection.

Language doesn't develop that way and it hasn't here.

Take the sand out of your craw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

At our wedding I was a bit nervous doing my speech, when I saw it on video I must have said "you know". " like". God it was cringe city , I totally agree with the op on this one

How so? We have a distinct way of speaking English, e-mail and ask any English Lecturer in any Irish University.

There's no reason whatsoever for us to learn to speak Queen's English to perfection.

Language doesn't develop that way and it hasn't here.

Take the sand out of your craw.

You made a quite specific claim. I challenged it. Your response amounted to: Hiberno-English exists! Nobody denies it exists. However, your claim that "you know, like" is rooted in Irish has yet to be specifically supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

cool. I think this is an incredibly petty fread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

pfft, amateur!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

/rant over

u mad bro?...like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

You dig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

freak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

What about folks merging do-you-know-what-I-mean into one word German style : 'Junotamine' (sounds like it should be a cancer drug) ?

A lady on Marian Finucane yesterday unable to make a statement without tagging it on every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Written by somebody who undoubtedly uses "you know, like" a lot and just can't stop.

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I don't know if I do, as I'm me and as such am not aware of my tics. But there's no way you can infer that I use these filler expressions from my post so your riposte was inane.

And as someone said earlier, there is nothing wrong with filler words. Many and perhaps ALL languages have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

You made a quite specific claim. I challenged it. Your response amounted to: Hiberno-English exists! Nobody denies it exists. However, your claim that "you know, like" is rooted in Irish has yet to be specifically supported.

Jesus get a grip :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

MJ23 wrote: »
    "i spuz like, d'ye know, at the end of the day, we were put to the pin of our collar, d'ye know like"
    Almaviva wrote: »
    What about folks merging do-you-know-what-I-mean into one word German style : 'Junotamine' (sounds like it should be a cancer drug) ?

A lady on Marian Finucane yesterday unable to make a statement without tagging it on every time.

No, you're spelling it wrong, it's "jenowarimean"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

/rant over

If that's all you've got to complain about then you've got it pretty easy mate.
    Get off you high-horse and climb down from your ivory tower and see what it's like amongst the rest of us and you'll find that we've far more important things to be worrying about than 'em, ah, eh, like' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Doesn't bother me how people speak, as long as it's not in Irish.

Ya know, like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement