Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"You know, like" - No, I don't know, like!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

If that's all you've got to complain about then you've got it pretty easy mate.
    Get off you high-horse and climb down from your ivory tower and see what it's like amongst the rest of us and you'll find that we've far more important things to be worrying about than 'em, ah, eh, like' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, like the latest results from a British soccer match. Such a really important thing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

OP

I totally agree with you, but understand that for most, it's a nervous thing. For me, I rarely use it, as in my view, it greatly reduces the impact of what you're saying. Take a pause instead. Innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sonia O'Sullivan is Queen of the 'You know...' Sentence ending. Someone really you tell her how ridiculous she sounds but she probably already knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Seanchai wrote: »
    What commonplace expressions in the English language do you hate most?

I know a woman in her 30's who frequently uses the word "amazeballs." WTF does that mean?

People who say "it goes without saying..." and then say whatever it was anyway.

Any kind of business jargon.

Yes, like the latest results from a British soccer match. Such a really important thing to worry about.

What's wrong with a keen interest in British football?

In your part of Britain, it's genuinely fascinating how Cliftonville are leading the league while the usually all-conquering Linfield are languishing in mid-table. And surely no-one who has even a slight interest in football in your part of the United Kingdom could fail to be amazed at the almost fairy-tale performances of Ballinamallard United. Mind you, they seem to be only holding on for the draw against Coleraine today. Pity, because a win could put them top if Crusaders stay ahead against Cliftonville.

To me, that's definitely more interesting than poking fun at the way some people speak - but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

And surely no-one who has even a slight interest in football in your part of the United Kingdom could fail to be amazed at the almost fairy-tale performances of Ballinamallard United. Mind you, they seem to be only holding on for the draw against Coleraine today. Pity, because a win could put them top if Crusaders stay ahead against Cliftonville.

UPDATE: Ballinamallard Utd win, Cliftonville lose. I think that puts The Mallards top of the league. Not bad for a club that was only founded in the 1970s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

They are fashion followers, not lovers of a sport: that's precisely what's wrong. It's for people who want to fit in to whatever sport is being shown on British tv. It doesn't advance your career. Speaking well, in contrast, will. Ergo, I'd rather emphasise the latter than the former and "you have little to worry about" with worrying about the results of overpaid soccer "celebrities" in another country who wouldn't bid you the time of day on the street.

In your part of Britain...[blah, blah, blah]
    To me, that's definitely more interesting than poking fun at the way some people speak - but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

That's quite possibly because watching a soccer match on tv requires no effort on your part, and thus is your comfort zone, while learning to, like, you know, like, speak properly requires effort so, like, you know, you don't feel comfortable about having somebody observe your laziness.

And in my part of Ireland, football is far more popular and supported than soccer. I'd say football is even more popular here than in your lower socio-economic part of Dublin, you know wha' I mean like bud?

Although I note that in more affluent and educated parts of Dublin, football is also stronger than soccer. And that Dublin won the All-Ireland last year. That must really annoy your garrison game-following insecure self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

American ones are the best "ya hear me"

They are fashion followers, not lovers of a sport: that's precisely what's wrong. It's for people who want to fit in to whatever sport is being shown on British tv.

I don't recall Ballinamallard United being all that fashionable, except maybe in a very small part of Fermanagh.

And in my part of Ireland, football is far more popular and supported than soccer.

Apple Maps, dude? Give it up, willya? :D

Although I note that in more affluent and educated parts of Dublin, football is also stronger than soccer. And that Dublin won the All-Ireland last year. That must really annoy your garrison game-following insecure self.

Hurling first on my street, then Gaelic football, then football, and quite a few rugby players as well. Love 'em all, though I must admit that my own passion was badminton until a knee injury put paid to that.

You see, because I'm actually from Ireland, I can like whatever I want rather than choosing a game for the sake of some kind of fantasy politics. It's only a game. ;)

Still, well done the Mallards today, what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

squod wrote: »
    Thinly veiled ''I know lots of words'' thread.

Wasnt thinly veiled banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Have to kind of agree with Seanchai on this though as seemingly nearly everyone else I'm around takes football so seriously. I just find that annoying. Personally I don't take any interest whatsoever in televised sports let it be football, hurling, GAA, the Olympics, etc, or results much either. Didn't even watch the Ireland v Germany match last night. I've even declined to go out with friends on numerous occasions just out of knowing that the conversations will turn into something related to football, which they nearly always do, as I've nothing at all to say on players or sports results.

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Have to kind of agree with Seanchai on this though as seemingly nearly everyone else I'm around takes football so seriously. I just find that annoying.

Yes, but I'm sure you'd agree that this doesn't give anyone a licence to poke fun at the way other people talk.

Personally I don't take any interest whatsoever in televised sports let it be football, hurling, GAA, the Olympics, etc, or results much either.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just as there's nothing wrong with taking an interest in those sports. Some of my mates are into some or all of those sports, and some have no interest in any of them. Between us all, we all manage. It's all about tolerance and respect for difference, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Have to kind of agree with Seanchai on this though as seemingly nearly everyone else I'm around takes football so seriously. I just find that annoying. Personally I don't take any interest whatsoever in televised sports let it be football, hurling, GAA, the Olympics, etc, or results much either. Didn't even watch the Ireland v Germany match last night. I've even declined to go out with friends on numerous occasions just out of knowing that the conversations will turn into something related to football, which they nearly always do, as I've nothing at all to say on players or sports results.

What does rock your boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Yes, but I'm sure you'd agree that this doesn't give anyone a licence to poke fun at the way other people talk.

It doesn't, not at all.
    And there's nothing wrong with that. Just as there's nothing wrong with taking an interest in those sports. Some of my mates are into some or all of those sports, and some have no interest in any of them. Between us all, we all manage. It's all about tolerance and respect for difference, IMO.

I've nothing against sports or people who take an interest in them, and I'm all for different personalities and interests, I just feel there's too many people that take them far too seriously. People I know who fall into this category; almost every word that comes out of their mouths is something or other related to football. Almost an obsession. Even worse are people who pretend to take a massive interest just to fit in with others who actually do.

Advertisement