Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Damage

Options
  • 06-10-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, my wife bought a board to learn how to surf a while back and a large section of the bottom lining has came off. Just wondered is it repairable with the right glue?

See attached. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That should not have happened if she bought it new bring it back to the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

It was second hand from a surf shop. I might bring it in to them for an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I reckon an epoxy based adhesive should work fine.

Be sure to use epoxy though as foamies are normally made from polystyrene.
    If you use a polyester based adhesive it will dissolve the foam, epoxy is safe to use on both polyurethane and polystyrene foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

hi thomas,
    Im a surfboard repair guy based in Dublin. That board 95% likely to be epoxy as loctite says. If you just want to stick the lamination (the bit thats come away) to the foam, you can apply a load of epoxy to the laminate and stick it on. The only problem is that you may not be 100% sure that the epoxy/laminate mix does not leave any gaps between the underside and the rails. To be sure this doesnt happen, you need to sand down the edges of the rails with 40-60grt sandpaper and once you done the first 'sticky' stage, go around the rails with epoxy and make sure there's no holes. Holes will lead to water in the board. You'll also want to make sure you don't leave any airholes when pressing down, as this'll lead to delamination too.
    Im no pro (but i do alot of repairs), but id be happy to take it and do the surgery for you if you're not over confident yourself. Reach me on <snip>. cheers,Chris

Mod Edit: Use the PM function for exchanging phone numbers please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 coper848

Where can i go about getting supplies to repair my fibreglass board.
    There are two cracks,
    One by the plug for the fin (which was repaired before but has come lose).

And another small hole that i assume can just be filled with epoxy.

But I'm afraid after reading other threads that what i buy may "dissolve" the foam in the board...

Help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

coper848 wrote: »
    Where can i go about getting supplies to repair my fibreglass board.
    There are two cracks,
    One by the plug for the fin (which was repaired before but has come lose).

And another small hole that i assume can just be filled with epoxy.

But I'm afraid after reading other threads that what i buy may "dissolve" the foam in the board...

Help?

Nearly all boards are made using fibreglass cloth. The difference is in the resin and the foam. Basically older boards are made with polyester resin on a polyurethene foam. Newer boards are made using epoxy resin on an XPS foam (expanded polystyrene/little balls). Do a bit of googling to figure out what your board is and how to fix it properly. Lots of good videos on youtube on how to do a semi-pro fix. I use west systems 101 repair pack. Comes with everything you need for about 25 quid. http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-583-west-system-mini-pack-101.aspx It's sold in most marine hardware shops.

It the best one I've used but it does com out an orange/brown sort of colour if you use the filler in the kit. Just in case your worried about that sort of thing.

This is great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrrM4iVPVX4

Advertisement