Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Abroad Expo

Options
  • 06-10-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Anybody go today? What were your opinions? Personally I didn't believe it was worth it. As a construction professional, there was nothing there selling Ontario as a province. It all seemed to rotate around Calgary.

Just my 2c.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Jonty wrote: »
    Anybody go today? What were your opinions? Personally I didn't believe it was worth it. As a construction professional, there was nothing there selling Ontario as a province. It all seemed to rotate around Calgary.

Just my 2c.

It's hardly surprising, seeing as there is a constructuon boom in Alberta at present. Lots of people already want to move to Ontario but not so much to the prarie provinces so thats why there is much more promotion of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

It's hardly surprising, seeing as there is a constructuon boom in Alberta at present. Lots of people already want to move to Ontario but not so much to the prarie provinces so thats why there is much more promotion of them

I totally agree with you on that, but thats not to say that the other provinces are in a bust,

I thought there would be more there is all

Jonty wrote: »

I totally agree with you on that, but thats not to say that the other provinces are in a bust,

I thought there would be more there is all

Nope none of them are in recession but the labour shortages are in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
    I suppose they don't see it as worthwhile because they already have the workers flooding in without advertising.
    Try www.workopolis.com for jobs in general or www.monster.ca good way to see what is available where

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

Was there any sign of jobs in science or R&D at the expo?

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng use this link to see what the prospects are for different jobs in different areas also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 5x5

Did anyone there hear what the new regulations will be with the new two-year visas? i.e. Is the 18 month residency requirement still in effect?
    And are you prevented from applying if you've done the IEC before?

This info hasn't been posted anywhere yet that I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

As a domestic plumber / gas fitter with almost 10 years experience in the field, I was very disappointed with what was on offer at the expo. It all seemed to be geared towards engineers and commercial / industrial trades people.
    It made me wonder if there is work in the domestic / residential sector for immigrant workers at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

7ofBrian wrote: »
    As a domestic plumber / gas fitter with almost 10 years experience in the field, I was very disappointed with what was on offer at the expo. It all seemed to be geared towards engineers and commercial / industrial trades people.
    It made me wonder if there is work in the domestic / residential sector for immigrant workers at all :confused:

You have to remember that it's really only the larger commercial companies that can afford to send representatives off to those shows and help people they hire through the immigration process. A small, domestic set up would only have a handful of workers and maybe a couple of office staff so it wouldn't be practical.

I'm in Newfoundland at the moment so I can only tell you about here but there's plenty of work for all trades from what I've seen. The issue in this provence is pay doesn't really reflect the cost of living. It's something I've learned the hard way but I'll keep that story for another thread.

My advice is check out the likes of craigslist and kijiji. They'll give you a better idea of what's on offer and where. If it's a move you want to make you'll certainly find work and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MILO B

Hear what your sayin.I gave out 10 cv in construction trades
    sector to several large canadian companeis who are empoy tens of thousands of people between the from mining ,IOL AND GAS ,DOMESTIC INDUSTRIAL and where all chatty at the expo and i have a great cv in terms of a trade and diplomas and other certs but i havent had i call or email and i dont expect to either.u know who they wiill hire?people already working who fancy a change!the main reoson for expo?To sell visas and make money.they will skim of the very best of quilified people for certain jobs and move onto the next city and do the same.

I wouldn't panic just yet.
    REcruitmwnt process in Canada is slow at best.
    Its only been 4 days since the expo it will prob take some time to sort through all the CVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MILO B

FAIR ENOUGH.BUT IV BEEN TO EXPO BEFORE AND HANDED CV AND NO JOY.ALTOUGH MY CV WAS JUST AVERAGE
    PREVIOUSLY SO MAYBEY THIS TIME DIFFERENT.LIVE IN HOPE.

Advertisement