Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

• 06-10-2012 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I've had this debate with a friend who is convinced Joe Hart is the best. I think thats nonsense. Its hard to pick but Casillas, Neuer and Buffon are the three most consistent i've seen over the last season or so, I think it's between them.

Best in the world? 195 votes

Casillas
    0%
    Hart
    40%
    PHBDont be at yourselfbyteSeanehDempseyAPMMr.Nice Guyyabadabadofearcruachhomerjay2005eventSappy404ArmaniJeanssMagic PipsFuzzy_Dunlopdfx-Red CrowDamien360scudzillaDancor 78 votes
    Buffon
    12%
    LocoBigContuxyyermandanmirwillbebackXavi6ciano1redzerdrogMagillGillingtonsugarmandaingeanrobjenno86heavyballskennethkironbluedunHawk Wing 2Sanity_SaviourunplayableKERSPLAT! 24 votes
    Neuer
    26%
    VokesKingp35[Deleted User]adoxlooder[Deleted User]FizmanNUTZZQikBaxxtal191dsmythyFearDarkcarlopdahatSK1979gebbeltvercettimonkey9Hank ScorpioIvySlayer 51 votes
    Valdes
    20%
    SickBoyRoddy23iregkDave147youcancallmealciaran76fred funk }{CantGetNoSleepstaker[Deleted User]LeejoPaddyCarShatterProofGodgeBrienmoomanCol200sxKnex*daregoFerris_Bueller 40 votes
    Other
    1%
    GLaDOSmiralize 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Joe Hart has a long way to go before hes considered as good ss Buffon / Casillas but hr certainly has the ability.

I voted other though.....Cech. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Reina, because he can fill in as senior entertainments officer too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No love for Mannone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Neuer
    Honestly I really dont know the answer.

Buffon was the best on his day from list, but not as prolific now.

whoever is picked I think is not much ahead of anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Neuer
    Definitely Buffon. He has honestly been as good as ever recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Neuer
    Voted for Buffon. Casillas is excellent GK but he has made may mistakes for which he never gets criticized for whatever reasons. IMO Buffon is the best GK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't watch enough football from outside UK and Ireland to know for definite. Voted Other for Cech, probably is Buffon but only see him in odd Champions League game. Hart is as prone to mistakes as everyone, rarely looks solid in an England shirt.

Off Topic but one for the future is definitely going to be Jack Butland (although hes not exactly proving it at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Valdes
    No Suarez?

Think it's Neuer myself, could have argued for Cech a few years ago but he has been on the decline for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Jose Enrique

142271041.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Neuer
    The Hart thing is a bit weird to me. He has made mistakes in his career and is clearly not the finished article yet but people are pushing for him to be held up as the best.

I don't think he is much better than De Gea but he seems to get away with a lot in the media. I do pity him a bit. When it comes to the English press, what goes up must come down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Hart
    Valdes shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hart
    So far this season Adler has been the best keeper anywhere in my opinion, and when he is at his best I think he is better than Neuer.

Still Casillas for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hart
    Its been Casillas for me for a good long time now and he is still at the same level and I haven't seen anybody more consistent. I thought Neuer might the man but he has not been great in a couple of games I've seen over the last six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Awful list. On consistency it's Handanovic, 8/10 or > every game, but again such an ignorant list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Awful list. On consistency it's Handanovic, 8/10 or > every game, but again such an ignorant list!

Ignorant list? Get the **** over yourself, I added ''other'' for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Valdes
    I voted Neuer, Im annoyed Cech is not taking Valdes place on that list though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Valdes
    Where is Julio Cesar?

Hart
    Where is Julio Cesar?

Playing for QPR, which explains why he isn't on the list.

Ignorant list? Get the **** over yourself, I added ''other'' for a reason.

You shouldn't start a thread when you don't have near a broad enough knowledge to comment on said topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Neuer
    You shouldn't start a thread when you don't have near a broad enough knowledge to comment on said topic.

hipstercat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hart
    You shouldn't start a thread when you don't near a broad enough knowledge to comment on said topic.
    Are you claiming to be a know-it-all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Neuer
    I voted Buffon.

Casillas loses out because of his pretty ordinary handling skills.

Neuer
    Where is Julio Cesar?

QPR, for a reason. About 3 years ago he was in the top three in the world IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Joe Hart shouldn't really make that list either IMO. Still a huge amount to learn.

Probably Buffon for me, needs no explanation.

As for Valdes being on that list, you might as well have stuck in Massimo Taibi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I voted Neuer, Im annoyed Cech is not taking Valdes place on that list though..

What business would Cech have on such a list?

Anyone voting for valdes, like those who vote for the green party, should have their right to vote removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hart
    Cech up till his injury was on course to being the best in the world, still a great keeper now don't get me wrong. I'd say casillas, neurer is so good at such a young age for a keeper now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

There's a young keeper in Germany meant to be as highly rated as Neaur. Stergen I think his name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't think Joe Hart is out of place on this list. He's the full package imo. Strong in all areas.

It's hard to say. Buffon in his prime was the best but I don't see enough of him now to comment. He had a solid euros so obviously still has a lot of ability.

Spanish and English leagues are the only ones I watch and at the moment, from what I've seen, Hart is the standout performer of those two leagues.

It's probably too soon to put him ahead of the others, but don't think it's a ridiculous claim to say he's the best out there.

Give him another year or 2 before judging him in these terms but he's well on his way and he could be the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Buffon

No it isn't.

And no it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Gordon Stewart of Tynefield City aka 'The Safest Hands in Soccer' gets my vote.

Neuer
    Buffon has made two mistakes in his 12 seasons in goal for Juve. I remember both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This fella must be in with a shout too:

billyfish.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't think he is much better than De Gea but he seems to get away with a lot in the media. I do pity him a bit. When it comes to the English press, what goes up must come down.

This has to be a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hart
    I clicked Casillas but meant to click Buffon.

Buffon is the best 'Keeper I've ever seen by a long way and only Casillas comes close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Neuer
    I'd say Buffon!

• Advertisement

Hart
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    There's a young keeper in Germany meant to be as highly rated as Neaur. Stergen I think his name is.

Close! ter Stegen at Gladbach. I wouldn't put him on the same level as Neuer or Adler but he is very good, and still very young at 20.

Not been an easy time for him recently though because the Gladbach defense has been shocking. I think he has conceded something like 23 goals in all competitions so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Neuer
    born2bwild wrote: »
    Gordon Stewart of Tynefield City aka 'The Safest Hands in Soccer' gets my vote.
    Cut down in his prime.

His son Rick was pretty handy too.

Tubby Morton FTW.

I mean dismissing a keeper like Cesar just based on the club he's at is wrong, Van Der Sar is a good example of a keeper who dropped down a level relative to his previous heights for a couple of years but got right back to the top level at Man U for several years. Not saying Cesar is up there with the very best anymore, think he's been below par last few seasons but is still among the best shot stoppers around if not susceptible to the high ball a bit too often. Keepers from top clubs are often overrated due to obvious lack of action during most league games compared to ones from struggling sides who may face an onslaught for the majority of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I just voted Clint Dempsey. I know he is not on the poll or a goalkeeper but I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Hart thing is a bit weird to me. He has made mistakes in his career and is clearly not the finished article yet but people are pushing for him to be held up as the best.

Hart is light years ahead of DeGea currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Neuer, based solely on that game he played against Manchester United a couple of years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

John O'Shea.

315B69E9E9A7491E94C710CB603781F1.ashx?h=179&la=ar-SA&w=240&rgn=86,15,386,237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Neuer
    Schmeichel was the last great keeper and probably the greatest ever.

On the list I voted for Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thread needs more Doni.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Neuer
    Flip of a coin between buffon and casillas. It came down Buffon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hart
    adox wrote: »
    Schmeichel was the last great keeper and probably the greatest ever.

Roflcopter.gif

Neuer
    I mean dismissing a keeper like Cesar just based on the club he's at is wrong, Van Der Sar is a good example of a keeper who dropped down a level relative to his previous heights for a couple of years but got right back to the top level at Man U for several years. Not saying Cesar is up there with the very best anymore, think he's been below par last few seasons but is still among the best shot stoppers around if not susceptible to the high ball a bit too often. Keepers from top clubs are often overrated due to obvious lack of action during most league games compared to ones from struggling sides who may face an onslaught for the majority of games.

I dismissed Cesar on the basis that he's been crap for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Neuer
    I think Buffon. A few people said they haven't seem him in a while, but as someone who follows Serie A, I think Buffon is in peak form and as good as he ever was.

Who's missing that you could realistically say is the best in the world? The list could be shortened again to 2, Buffon and Casillias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Valdes
    djPSB wrote: »
    Valdes shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

He's probably the best footballing keeper on the planet - distribution and all that.

He suits Barca.

He isn't actually very good at goalkeeping though, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Obligatory, overly-patriotic, ignorant and false Given comment!

• Advertisement
Advertisement