Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best goalkeeper in the world?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Gbear wrote: »
    He's probably the best footballing keeper on the planet - distribution and all that.

He suits Barca.

He isn't actually very good at goalkeeping though, no.

Unfortunately keepers are the ones to stop the ball going in the net

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Other
    I voted Valdes, because fuck logic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Haven't seen every keeper so i voted other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Neuer
    adox wrote: »
    Schmeichel was the last great keeper and probably the greatest ever.

On the list I voted for Buffon.

How to contradict yourself in two sentences!

Neuer
    I dismissed Cesar on the basis that he's been crap for the last couple of years.

He should also be dismissed on the basis that this is a thread on the best goalkeeper in the world and there has never been a time where he would be involved in that discussion. Decent enough in his prime alright, but was never anywhere near the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gbear wrote: »
    He's probably the best footballing keeper on the planet - distribution and all that.

He suits Barca.

He isn't actually very good at goalkeeping though, no.

:pac:

Obviously only joking, Valdes is a good footballing GK. Best I'm not sure, Neuer, Reina even De Gea might have something to say about that, but definitely one of the best and suits Barca.

But as a goalkeeper he is suspect at the highest level for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Neuer
    Tricky position to judge. Very hard to find a keeper with the whole package.
    Hart is an amazing shot stopper but has a bad habit of parrying it back into the danger area, his distribution is nothing to write home about either.
    Casillas ain't great under a high ball.
    Neuer can be error prone but is also an unbelievable shot stopper and strong in the air.

I would go with Buffon myself, he has been very consistent for a long time. It's a position that experience plays a big part in.

I've high hopes that De Gea will be one of the first names mentioned when discussing this in a few years time.
    He has everything else but a strong presence in the air, especially under crosses.

Neuer
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Tricky position to judge. Very hard to find a keeper with the whole package.
    Hart is an amazing shot stopper but has a bad habit of parrying it back into the danger area, his distribution is nothing to write home about either.
    Casillas ain't great under a high ball.
    Neuer can be error prone but is also an unbelievable shot stopper and strong in the air.

I would go with Buffon myself, he has been very consistent for a long time. It's a position that experience plays a big part in.

I've high hopes that De Gea will be one of the first names mentioned when discussing this in a few years time.
    He has everything else but a strong presence in the air, especially under crosses.

De Gea is a brilliant goalkeeper. He's raw enough at the moment obviously being so young, but he's going to be a great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Roman Weidenfeller :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Neuer
    i find ppl really underate Valdes
    top class keeper
    Buffon would be the best for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Neuer
    MD1990 wrote: »
    i find ppl really underate Valdes
    top class keeper
    Buffon would be the best for me
    Part of the problem is he has so little to do at times that he won't often stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Neuer
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is he has so little to do at times that he won't often stand out.
    true
    but he saves a lot of 1 on 1's at vital times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Neuer
    monkey9 wrote: »
    How to contradict yourself in two sentences!

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its Buffon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hart
    Casillas & Buffon have been the most outstanding keepers in the world for a long time. I voted for Casillas in the end.

I'd say for around 3 seasons, Cech was right up there too in Mourinho's Chelsea era, but he just isn't the same as he was.

Also, I know he 79 this year, and is a million miles away from being "the best keeper in the world", but on his day, Brad Friedel is a f*cking wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hart
    People suggesting Joe Hart is the best keeper in the world, gave me a good giggle if nothing else. The man isn't even the best stopper in England.

It's a tossup between Buffon, Casillas, Neuer and Lloris. Buffon was number 1 for a long time, but Casillas has now claimed that crown.

Steklenburg at Roma also deserves a mention, as does Julio Cesar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hart
    Forget the fact that he is awful under crosses, has poor positioning, and has limper wrists than Elton John.

Hart is english. None of the other guys on the list are english. Don't you know this makes him the best? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Remember when John O' Shea went in goals for United a couple of seasons ago?
    He played great. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Hart
    Casillas for me, I really hope the people voting for Hart are WUMs/Trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hart
    Genuinely shocked that anyone doesn't think it's either Casillas or Buffon. Like I understand how for outfield players it's easy to favour different types and have different opinions, Roandlo vs. Messi, Gerrard vs. Lampard, but keepers are a relatively simple type of player to judge.

Hart? Valdes? De Gea? Come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Buffon
    Valdes is atrocious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Neuer
    This has to be a joke?

No it isn't. Hart is better at handling crosses, De Gea is a better shot stopper. I think that De Gea is getting an incredibly hard time from the press and a raw deal from Fergie. Any mistake he makes is jumped on.

The reality with Hart is that there is a huge media push to name him best in the world. His mistakes aren't highlighted as much as anyone else's, the Real match is a case in point. Anyway, like I've said before, no English player remains a media darling forever so I expect this to change soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Valdes is atrocious

Just badly beaten at his near post. I don't rate him in this company at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Honestly I really dont know the answer.

Buffon was the best on his day from list, but not as prolific now.

whoever is picked I think is not much ahead of anyone else.

What's a prolific goalkeeper? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hart
    What's a prolific goalkeeper? :confused:

Rogerio Ceni :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Rogerio Ceni :cool:

Would've gone for Chilavert myself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Buffon
    I don't think Hart is yet, but I think he will be at some stage in his life. Probably Casillas right now for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Chris Bennion...thanks to his brilliant saves, it's an additional visit to Tolka for me...and only insiders know the reason :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Cech all they way!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I like the Stoke keeper Begovic I think he is very under rated and is up there with the best.

Would say the best is Buffon tho, his defence seems to ooze confidence when hes between the sticks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement