Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought a cb400 Vtec 2.. Am I being paranoid?

• 06-10-2012 6:45pm

So yea, I was driving it home there and opened it up a few times.. Just feels like it's going through the revs way to fast when it hits vtec. Quite unlike the cb400 Vtec 1 I'm used to. The bike is definitely accelerating pretty good but it doesn't seem to be relative to the ridiculously loud sound the exhaust is suddenly making. It actually sounds like I'm revving the engine out of gear.

So is it even possible that the engine is flying too fast through the revs and all the power isn't making the wheels? The logical side of my brain says no way. My friend who has a cb400 vtec1 said the same thing.. He was like "is that engine connected to the wheels after 6500?"

So either his vtec1 isn't performing or mine is broken.. Or maybe the clutch isn't fully open? How long would it take for a clutch to burn out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

So yea, I was driving it home there and opened it up a few times.. Just feels like it's going through the revs way to fast when it hits vtec. Quite unlike the cb400 Vtec 1 I'm used to. The bike is definitely accelerating pretty good but it doesn't seem to be relative to the ridiculously loud sound the exhaust is suddenly making. It actually sounds like I'm revving the engine out of gear.

So is it even possible that the engine is flying too fast through the revs and all the power isn't making the wheels? The logical side of my brain says no way. My friend who has a cb400 vtec1 said the same thing.. He was like "is that engine connected to the wheels after 6500?"

So either his vtec1 isn't performing or mine is broken.. Or maybe the clutch isn't fully open? How long would it take for a clutch to burn out?

Is it possible it's restricted ? Sounds like it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Maybe the clutch needs adjusting. Could be on the way out.

Will it accelerate up a hill in top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

clutch sounds like a good call alright. Can do a rudimentary check on if its slipping, by letting the clutch out while holding the front brake (or better, front wheel pushed up to a wall) - you're hoping that it just stalls practically immediately

Great answers thanks. I'll test the clutch thing now in a while, just woke up.. So first gear against wall with some rev. See if I can get the clutch out.

Unfortunately it's about an hour to the closest hill so can't really check. And I have to assume it's unrestricted since it's in VN. Like everything over 170cc, the bike is effectively illegal here anyhow to all but a few government folk so I guess some mechanic would have derestricted it at some point if it were.

So things to do today.. Clutch test. 2nd/3rd gear pull comparison next to the vtec1. Check how it would be restricted and take my underused tools to it to check. Wash and take a photo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sounds like clutch slip.

• Advertisement

Took it to the mechanic round the corner who owns one and he adjusted the cable and played with something down round the engine.. Think it's fine now so maybe the cable a tad tight pulling the clutch in. Accelerating all the way through second gear it sounds steady now. Couldn't test the full gear range properly yet because of traffic.

49498642.jpg

No more advice needed for now I guess.. Just was shltting myself a bit last night. :)

Advertisement