Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour d'Afrique 2013 12,000 km Cairo to Cape Town

• 06-10-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey everyone, I just thought I'd share with ye all a little bit about the trip that I am about to undertake. Some of ye might find it interesting...

On the 10th of January I will set off from Cairo to Cape Town on a 12,000 km cycle that will take 4 months to complete. The Tour d'Afrique is an annual event with competitors from all over the world talking part, some in the race competition and some just for the expedition, I fall into the latter category! 9 months ago my longest cycle was about 30km so I have put myself immediately into the deep end!

I'm trying to raise funds and publicity for suicide prevention charity Pieta House over the next few months and during the event.
    If you would like to follow my preparations and my trip you can have a look at my website www.onyerbikeinafrica.com or follow the facebook page www.facebook.com/onyerbikeinafrica

Cheers,
    Philip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Will you be funding the entire trip yourself? and donating all charitable donations to the charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OnYerBike in Africa

Well the trip costs about 12,500 euro which I funded myself, that does not include bike, flights or tent. I'm lucky though to have some good sponsors... the Cycle Superstore covering the cycle gear and Vayu paying for my bike.
    All other money raised will go to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tough old cycle to cram into 4 months. I assume you're supported so cycling unloaded? Enjoy being asked for money every day for four solid months by the locals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

In 2007 I bumped into the group & support truck in Southern Namibia while MTB-ing, This is what you can expect:
    223399.jpg

I will be back in Cape Town before you finish. Your welcome to contact me if you need assistence down there.

Enjoy!

Yeah fully supported, the trucks carry all the gear so it is just a case of getting from A to B in one piece! Will be cycling 122km average a day so will be more or less depending on the terrain.
    Hey Straatvark, thanks for that, that's a pretty cool pic, Namibia looks like a desolate spot but suppose that's what I'm in for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Best of luck with it, onyerbike.Hoping to do it myself one of these years. Are you bringing a CX or MTB ?

Bringing a Giant Tcx cyclocross, did a bit of research and decided to chance the cx, I will suffer on the off road days but I hope to fly along quick enough on the paved roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Seemingly the unpaved sections are getting shorter each year, so might not be too bad

Yeah fully supported, the trucks carry all the gear so it is just a case of getting from A to B in one piece! Will be cycling 122km average a day so will be more or less depending on the terrain.
    Hey Straatvark, thanks for that, that's a pretty cool pic, Namibia looks like a desolate spot but suppose that's what I'm in for.

Keep your eyes open - you will proove yourself wrong.. ;)

Looking forward to discuss this further next year in Cape Town over a 'Tafel' (beer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

:Fair play to you Philip,
    Thanks for distracting my buddy yesterday it allowed me to catch him at the finish line:D
    I'll sort you out with a sponsor in the next few weeks.
    Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

:Fair play to you Philip,
    Thanks for distracting my buddy yesterday it allowed me to catch him at the finish line:D
    I'll sort you out with a sponsor in the next few weeks.
    Best of luck with it

Cheers, he thought he was going to escape your clutches! But we were obviously chatting too much. Cheers...

Straatvark, look forward to that beer, might have a story or two to tell then...

Straatvark, look forward to that beer, might have a story or two to tell then...

Hi Philip

I did a random check tonight - thought the Tour d'Afrique already finished, and see it was your last day in Nam today.

How is life/still on the tour?

http://tourdafrique.com/2013/05/last-day-in-namibia-2/

EDIT: Ahh, i see you changed your mind about Nam... Told you so :)
    http://www.onyerbikeinafrica.com/blog.html

Advertisement