Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths troubles?!

Options
  • 06-10-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having trouble with maths in a maths heavy course?! It's been 14 years since I sat my leaving and I've been plunged into trigonometry, quadratics and logs! And the scientific calculator :rolleyes:

Are there any good maths books that would give me a better foothold?

One of the lecturers has recommended Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud - I've looked and he has a foundation maths book as well but it's pricey. I don't want to go forking out a load of money for something that might not be any good to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What math genres are you having trouble with?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Maths tutor here.

If you're looking for a good budget option, buy this book second hand for £0.29+£4.00 delivery:
    GCSE Maths Higher Level

It's well written, got 29 chapters including all the stuff you want like trigonometry, quadratics and logs.

Stroud's Foundation Maths is very good too, is a bit more advanced than the GCSE book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Maths tutor here.

If you're looking for a good budget option, buy this book second hand for £0.29+£4.00 delivery:
    GCSE Maths Higher Level

It's well written, got 29 chapters including all the stuff you want like trigonometry, quadratics and logs.

Stroud's Foundation Maths is very good too, is a bit more advanced than the GCSE book.

Would this book be suitable for the leaving cert course.? I'm having alot of trouble with trigonometry atm

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Would this book be suitable for the leaving cert course.? I'm having alot of trouble with trigonometry atm

The GCSE book covers more than half of the Leaving Cert Higher Level maths course, yes it would help a lot with trigonometry but wouldn't cover everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement