Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballinasloe horse fair

• 06-10-2012 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Anyone go to the horse fair? I was at it today & left feeling sick,tiny terrier pups,obviously under 6 weeks old being dragged around with baling twine,sellers claiming that the pups are 4 months old & 'minature',litters of pups & poultry wedged into cages,older dogs tied to every available post shivering & looking terrified,dogs with their ribs sticking out & some with terrible skin conditions,pups with bellies bloated with worms.
    That was just the dogs & poultry,I wont even get started about the horses,donkeys & goats. There was some very healthy,well looked after animals there but the bad far outweighed the good.
    No sign of any animal inspectors & no point reporting anything to the guards. How did anyone else find it & any idea how people get away with such cruelty in the middle of a busy town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Were the ISPCA not there? I was always under the assumption that they attended this every year and claimed as many animals as they could :confused: Pity if they weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

maybe they were there,I didnt see anyone but that does not mean they were not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

That's exactly why I would never and could never go!! The ISPCA are supposed to have a presence there but clearly you didn't see them and if that was going on, they either weren't there or weren't doing anything. It's disgusting and disgraceful. You should have reported the dogs at least to the guards because it's illegal for anyone to be selling them, last week at a local car boot sale some fella was selling puppies out of his boot, he was immediately asked to leave by the lady running the thing (I think after being told by a few stall holders but at least she acted instantly), by the time I went to tell her he had already been told, this should be a priority at the horse fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Its like the Galway Races, when its a big event, they just stand by have a small presence in the corner by the library and turn a blind eye to the endless crutely that is going on with dogs, ponies, horses, ferrits, birds, rabbits and everything else.

I do like to go on the basis that i bring 200 to spend on dogs to that young minorities are dragging behind on twine and offer to buy them for very low prices (get as many as possible) and get them to better homes. Yes theres an argument that im feeding the industry but i feel they will continue regardless and this way i know the homes they go to.

dont even mention that amount of mange and flies the poor pups have there. Its a puppy farm that thing. one giant legal puppy farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

I bought a pup there a few years ago,she was a nervous wreck,tail only docked that day,fleas,worms. she still wees if you make a sudden move around her & freaks out if you put a lead on her,her first 8 weeks must have been terrible if she is still so nervous 3 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    You should have reported the dogs at least to the guards because it's illegal for anyone to be selling them

Sorry, but it is not illegal to sell dogs at a fair. If you can find a quote to the law that says otherwise feel free to post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yes it is Magenta. Section 23 of the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act, 1965.
    If any person carries on in a public place the business of selling animals as pets he shall be guilty of an offence under this Part.

If you want a link you can google it, easily found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

People who handed money over for mangy dogs complaining about the people selling mangy dogs, really?? pot, kettle . . . . and so on and so forth.

For future reference, don't go and spend your money at events you have a problem with ethically, then run to complain about it on the internet, just don't go in the first place.

Mod hat on:
    This thread has the potential to become highly defamatory towards various parties - locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement