Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Blu ray - Early 2013

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Enterprise-Season-One-Blu-ray/57323

this review of enterprise on blu-ray.com doesnt favour well with me. apparently much of the sfx were just upscaled from STANDARD DEFINITION.

so whats the point in upgrading to blu if the effects are just upconverted?

i realise the show isnt as lucrative for cbs as tng is, but still, the fact that the effects have just been upconverted has made me decide not to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Enterprise-Season-One-Blu-ray/57323

this review of enterprise on blu-ray.com doesnt favour well with me. apparently much of the sfx were just upscaled from STANDARD DEFINITION.

so whats the point in upgrading to blu if the effects are just upconverted?

i realise the show isnt as lucrative for cbs as tng is, but still, the fact that the effects have just been upconverted has made me decide not to buy it.

The cg sfx would look poo in 1080p though. Upscaled sd shots prob make sense, & have the live action stuff all 1080p

EnterNow wrote: »
    The cg sfx would look poo in 1080p though. Upscaled sd shots prob make sense, & have the live action stuff all 1080p

why do upscaled sd effects make sense?

take this shot for example:

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s1review/review21.jpg

detail is muddy at best, very soft image. lackss detail. everyhting you wouldnt expect from a blu ray really.

i dunno, maybe it looks better on a hd screen.

why do upscaled sd effects make sense?

Because imo, putting the Enterprise CG effects in 1080p would only serve to expose them for what they are. Models & miniatures translate very well to HD provided they are filmed correctly in the first place, because they are real. TV show cg effects though, I can't see translating well to 1080p...the 'information' just isn't there to begin with...it's like putting a Playstation 1 game on a 1080p tv...it doesn't make it look any better whatsoever, & in fact imo makes them look worse because of the filtering/processing needed to make the image fill all the pixels.

How do they get around the problem? They remake the game & stick a HD badge on it...that would just be too expensive to do for ENT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

johnmryan wrote: »

Now thats more like it. Why did they choose that other yoke, instead of this?

Theres alot of talk of Season 4, I think I gave up on it before then, so maybe I should revisit it on the whole, and stay tuned for Season 4? If nothing else, I'll get to admire the lovely Hoshi.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Because imo, putting the Enterprise CG effects in 1080p would only serve to expose them for what they are. Models & miniatures translate very well to HD provided they are filmed correctly in the first place, because they are real. TV show cg effects though, I can't see translating well to 1080p...the 'information' just isn't there to begin with...it's like putting a Playstation 1 game on a 1080p tv...it doesn't make it look any better whatsoever, & in fact imo makes them look worse because of the filtering/processing needed to make the image fill all the pixels.

How do they get around the problem? They remake the game & stick a HD badge on it...that would just be too expensive to do for ENT

Ah ok, I see what youre saying!!

So, what would be the deal then for a remaster of DS9 or VOY?

Did DS9 or VOY use CGI?

It would break my heart to see either of those shows merely upconvert their effects.

Kinda makes buying blu pointless imo

syklops wrote: »
    Now thats more like it. Why did they choose that other yoke, instead of this?

Theres alot of talk of Season 4, I think I gave up on it before then, so maybe I should revisit it on the whole, and stay tuned for Season 4? If nothing else, I'll get to admire the lovely Hoshi.

Yeah, start from the beginning. There are still a few gems hidden amongst the bad eps in earlier seasons. Season 4 is great though, and youll be happy you stuck it out.

Ah ok, I see what youre saying!!

So, what would be the deal then for a remaster of DS9 or VOY?

Did DS9 or VOY use CGI?

It would break my heart to see either of those shows merely upconvert their effects.

Kinda makes buying blu pointless imo

DS9 had a blend of models/miniatures & CG. Most of the pre-war stuff was models afaik, with the more complex battle scenes being CG. I'd be very surprised if the CG shots were pure HD and no just upscaled.

Voyager was mixed too. But like DS9, they won't want to have a mix of upscaled & hd special effects, they'll want a uniform look & that will mean upscaling I'd say.

ENT was fully CG.

I don't think it'd put me off buying them per se, the live action stuff will all be proper HD don't forget. We were spoiled with TNG as it was all real model work which looks class in HD

Star Trek: Enterprise, Season 2 on blu ray is up on amazon.co.uk at a preorder price of just 24.95 sterling. Must be a mistake! But get your preorders in before the price increases if you intend on buying it. At amazon, you are charged the price you see when you preorder, even if the price increases between now and release date. Happy days!

Advertisement