Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job sharing at second level

• 06-10-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of applying for job sharing next year and just wondering if anyone here has experience of it.
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know in my school it has suited a few people and not suited a few. It seems to work best if you live quite close to the school and it also suits some subjects better than others. If you have senior classes it can be a problem as they have 5 periods a week and are usually spread over 4/5 days. I know one person currently job sharing and she has Monday off every wee, 2 half days and 2 late starts...it suits her perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

We have one person job sharing at the moment. Since her subject is english, she has to be in every day but she's finished at lunchtime every day. She's one of the senior teachers in the school though (she has an A post) so the principal is probably more inclined to accommodate her in the timetable than the average teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

RealJohn wrote: »
    We have one person job sharing at the moment. Since her subject is english, she has to be in every day but she's finished at lunchtime every day. She's one of the senior teachers in the school though (she has an A post) so the principal is probably more inclined to accommodate her in the timetable than the average teacher.

The fact that her timetable is only 18 hours to begin with makes it easier for timetabling. Depending on subjects and school size job sharers can be a nightmare to accommodate.

You would be very lucky to. Get five mornings and luckier again to get 2 full days off. Unless sharing classes is an option. But in general thats not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Evaleigh

Thanks to you both. That helps. I think I will apply for it and see what happens. The school mightn't give it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nailvarnish

I would love to do the same but I wonder what the criteria for it being granted is? Is it up to the school/dept? How does it work out financially I'm wondering. I know that ur gross is halved but surely ur paying way less tax so ur pay wouldn't b halved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

i have covered part of a job-share in the past the teacher had her hours spread out over the five days and could be on first thing in the morning, off till after break and off again till after lunch .. don't know how she stuck it. think she applied cos she had been sick a lot the year before and just wanted a chance to regroup. she was lucky though that she lived closeby so at least she could go home. funny enough i (as the newcomer) had a better timetable with mainly mornings and one full day
    nailvarnish re the pay thing i know she said she found it financially worth while because as you said even though her gross was halved, she was paying less tax so she reckoned it was more like 1/3 less rather than 1/2 if that makes sense. she thought it totally worth her while

Thanx a mill happywithlife. Great info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi nailvarnish. I'd agree with happywithlife on the pay thing. I haven't done job share myself but a couple of my friends have and they said they had roughly 60-65% of their full time net pay because of the reduction in tax, pension and pension levy deductions.

If you live near the school it can work out OK, but if you live far from the school and spend a considerable amount on petrol for commuting you may find a big difference as you are still in school all day (unless you get your classes blocked and a day off) and still paying the same for petrol but with a lower wage.

Brilliant to get such sound advice guys! It's not on the cards for next yr but hopefully soon. People don't seem to be taking the job share option as much anymore. Financial I'm sure. I'd love to know whether I would have an entitlement to it/does permission get refused often. If anyone knows whether it's school mngmnt or dept decision I'd b grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tosh999

You have to apply to your BOM in the New Year. They make the decision. The main criteria is that the granting of the job share doesn't have a negative affect on the students education.

• Advertisement
Advertisement