Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fined £150 for throwing apple core out of car window in to hedge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

So throwing a fag butt on the street is ok :confused:

It's not, but yea it's a joke he was fined!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Stupid decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

And here's me thinkin all the time that its good to throw things like that out into nature - to feed the birds etc. I wouldn't be throwing out litter tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If the argument that it's biodegradable held up people could throw waste food out anywhere they cared because it's 'biodegradable'. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

It's not, but yea it's a joke he was fined!

Ok sure I'll take that out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

No one has considered the fact, that had said core bounced, it could have shot up and took someone's eye out or an old lady searching in the hedge for her lost bus pass may have slipped on it and injured herself badly.

Think on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The real argument is, was the apple from an indegnious specie of apple tree? If not them there it may pose a problem to the native trees, a crime which is execution under the 1740 act of parliament, which states "one may not f.uck an imported apple core, out of ones window when propelling themselves in a internal combination engine propelled carriage."

Cybercubed wrote: »
    No one has considered the fact, that had said core bounced, it could have shot up and took someone's eye out or an old lady searching in the hedge for her lost bus pass may have slipped on it and injured herself badly.

Think on.

Take a Granny Smith to the noggin and it's good night:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Clearly not a Star Trek fan or he'd know that a core ejection is something not done lightly.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

How'd ya like them apples??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hopefully that'll learn him. Litter is litter, smart arse excuses don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Hopefully that'll learn him. Litter is litter, smart arse excuses don't work.

An apple core isn't litter?! :confused:

An apple core isn't litter?! :confused:

Are you asking me or telling me? ;)

As far as I'm concerned it is litter, same as a banana peel, cigarette butt or chocolate bar wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Wonder what'd happen if he threw an iPhone out the window

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So basically all apple trees are illegal now?

Apple would probably sue him.

antodeco wrote: »
    So basically all apple trees are illegal now?

Yeah, that's what we are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It does seem a bit mad but where do you draw the line.

An apple core,
    5 apple cores.
    a burger and chips from a take away
    the trash from a restaurants food.

its all biodegradable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

I often throw compostable items out through the car window, only if there's a ditch though and I always make sure there are no cars behind me or obviously no pedestrians around. I see no harm in it?

Is faeces biodegradable? Wouldn't mind be able to throw a few turds out the window at some of the tossers I see while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Are you asking me or telling me? ;)

As far as I'm concerned it is litter, same as a banana peel, cigarette butt or chocolate bar wrapper.

I'm saying it's not litter.

How is throwing an apple core out of a window all that different than an apple naturally falling naturally from a tree onto the ground?

Similarly, I wouldn't consider a banana peel to be litter, so long as it's not dropped in a public pedestrianised area.

Of course cigarette butts and plastic wrappers are litter.

Maybe I'm missing something with the apple core. But, like he said,

"To me an apple is biodegradable. There are insects and various things in the hedgerows that can benefit from it.
    In the countryside, where there are hedges and probably more apples in the hedge than my apple core, I didn't feel that it was anywhere close to litter."

I absolutely agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Clearly not a Star Trek fan or he'd know that a core ejection is something not done lightly.:):):)

This is actually the funniest thing I've read tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

He was nothing more than a Jobsworth.
    Pity the butt didnt land on the road and was run over by the officers car. Evidence obliterated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Blay wrote: »
    If the argument that it's biodegradable held up people could throw waste food out anywhere they cared because it's 'biodegradable'. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

You are missing the most important point with this...Ok, an apple tree is minding it's own business growing in nature naturally and the apple grows to it's full size and weight and nature all alone drops the apple onto the ground, so do you think the apple tree should be prosecuted ?. Nature is nature so it was obviously the dumbest thing i ever heard in my life to fine a person for throwing a part of nature back into nature. Sometimes I think certain people out there are mentally unable to understand the basic functions of life and nature.

How is throwing an apple core out of a window all that different than an apple naturally falling naturally from a tree onto the ground?

Similarly, I wouldn't consider a banana peel to be litter, so long as it's not dropped in a public pedestrianised area.

"To me an apple is biodegradable. There are insects and various things in the hedgerows that can benefit from it.
    In the countryside, where there are hedges and probably more apples in the hedge than my apple core, I didn't feel that it was anywhere close to litter."

What if he threw it on a footpath or a urban road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Apple would probably sue him.
    heh heh..i dont pay to much attention to stupid laws meself..i dont litter..or throw rubbish out of car windows..f..kers tossing fag buts out windows or on paths piss me off..but i do and will continue to throw apple cores banana skins into hedgerows when i see fit..i wouldnt do it in town or urban areas but yes in hedgerows yes its grand..

Get sued by Apple I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

According to US Federal law (trivia quiz question) what two things can legally be thrown from a moving vehicle.

Try not to google folks....

MadsL wrote: »
    According to US Federal law (trivia quiz question) what two things can legally be thrown from a moving vehicle.

Raccoons and wombats?

• Advertisement

Looks and abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Everything you said can also apply to my theoretical Irish wolfhound. Is it ok for me to dump his body into a ditch and let it biodegrade?

A politician and a banker ?

One is water I believe..the other I'm not sure..something that is on fire maybe?:pac:

syklops wrote: »
    Everything you said can also apply to my theoretical Irish wolfhound. Is it ok for me to dump his body into a ditch and let it biodegrade?

That's a ridiculous comparison imo.

zenno wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous comparison imo.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19846121

"Cyril Falls, 53, who is a teacher at Bangor Academy, County Down, said he thought it was OK to throw the apple core because it is biodegradable."

Local council needs reeling in.

it takes months to decompose. he should have known better.

on the subject of apples- the Ra ambushed an RUC patrol in the eighties and killed all four of them. one of the Ra threw away an apple at the scene and he was caught by the bite he taken out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What if he threw it on a footpath or a urban road?

If it lands on footpath some young fella plays thinks hes Messi and starts kicking it till it lands on the road where it dissappears under a car wheel.

Besides theres no room on the paths because they are full of dog ****e!

If it lands on footpath some young fella plays thinks hes Messi and starts kicking it till it lands on the road where it dissappears under a car wheel.

Besides theres no room on the paths because they are full of dog ****e!

What if he threw an apple core covered in dogsh**e out the window?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it takes months to decompose. he should have known better.

That raises another question..what time period for decomposition is acceptable? Could you throw a can out the window? Sure it would take longer than an apple to disintegrate but given enough time it would decompose and but it is technically 'biodegradable'.

Easist thing for everyone is just to outlaw all littering, means less bureaucracy in deciding what is/isn't acceptable littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I get the idea that it's wrong to throw out a load of rubbish like a sack of apple cores. But one core.

I'd have no trouble throwing it out. In a couple of days most of it would have been munched on by nature. What's left will degrade and make the soil better.

If it was more than an apple core, like the remains of a take away, I'd understand. But it was just an apple core.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Why?

There is a very big difference from an apple falling from a tree or thrown out compared to the disposal of the body of a dog which can decay and inflict a disease, but i suppose the humble apple-core is compared to this ?. Look, if you want to be politically correct go ahead but i just don't see the connection.

One is water I believe..the other I'm not sure..something that is on fire maybe?:pac:

Water is indeed one of the them.
    Now the other anyone...??

Raccoons and wombats?

Wait a second....Wombats? Geographical distribution of quadrupeds is not your strong suit is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

That is an utterly ridiculous sentence.

Was the person who charged him an arsehole or just an idiot? Surely the person administering the fine has some sort of personal discretion over the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What about 2 apple cores? A bag of them?

Saying an apple core is fine means one can argue..why the leftovers of the chicken you had for dinner isn't ok to throw out on the street or into a field. People would inevitably abuse such a judgement and could legally throw cuttings from trees and grass into a random field or onto the street...they're biodegradable remember. That might seem a bit unrealistic but the only thing that stops people doing things like that is the rule of law not their own sense of morality.

Those in charge of a country have an important thing to consider when making laws;

Lowest common denominator--cater to them.

It doesn't mean that.

Would you think it was appropriate to fine him 100,000 pounds and imprison him for 5 years? Course not. that's stupid. So you'd have to agree that there is such a thing a proportionality. In which case you'd have to agree that it's personally reasonable to let someone chuck and apple core and not say it's comparable to throwing out a bag of rubbish or the exxon valdez.

Now if we had a chronic problem with apple cores. If there were mountains of them and they were causing a huge hazard, then yep, throw the book (or core) at him.

Then again, i'm looking at how much time I've spent arguing about the proportional response to throwing an apple core out a window and realised that I should have something, anything better to do on a Saturday night.

hurpederp wrote: »
    That is an utterly ridiculous sentence.

Was the person who charged him an arsehole or just an idiot? Surely the person administering the fine has some sort of personal discretion over the situation.

I see you considered the wider issues involved with the case:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

At least it werent a bananee

zenno wrote: »
    There is a very big difference from an apple falling from a tree or thrown out compared to the disposal of the body of a dog which can decay and inflict a disease, but i suppose the humble apple-core is compared to this ?. Look, if you want to be politically correct go ahead but i just don't see the connection.

Do you want a discussion or do you want to fling insults?

A fox dies in a hedgegrow, there are various insects and small animals that benefit from it and it is bio-degradeable. So what is wrong with me dumping a dogs body into a hedge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

What about 2 apple cores? A bag of them?

Saying an apple core is fine means one can argue..why the leftovers of the chicken you had for dinner isn't ok to throw out on the street or into a field. People would inevitably abuse such a judgement and could legally throw cuttings from trees and grass into a random field or onto the street...they're biodegradable remember. That might seem a bit unrealistic but the only thing that stops people doing things like that is the rule of law not their own sense of morality.

I think we all accept there's no damage an apple core is going to do in that ditch, the judgement had to ignore that it was an apple and would rot and view it as any other piece of litter.

Those in charge of a country have an important thing to consider when making laws;

Lowest common denominator--cater to them.
    when they start prosecuting those who let their dogs sh1t on pavements we'll talk. Dead animals are not good for the water in the ditches or those that drink it

Boombastic wrote: »
    when they start prosecuting those who let their dogs sh1t on pavements we'll talk. Dead animals are not good for the water in the ditches or those that drink it

How many people drink ditch water?:pac: Maybe down in Cork or such they do but up here in the Pale we live to a higher standard:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement