Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fined £150 for throwing apple core out of car window in to hedge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

syklops wrote: »
    Do you want a discussion or do you want to fling insults?

A fox dies in a hedgegrow, there are various insects and small animals that benefit from it and it is bio-degradeable. So what is wrong with me dumping a dogs body into a hedge?

SYklops me oule flower i'm not sending you an insult, I just think that disposing of an apple core into a ditch or another greenery area from which it grows naturally and then being fined for it is nuts imo. The dog thing...well you are right of course but getting fined for disposing an apple-core into the natural habitat is quad-stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

did it happen in the orchard county?

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Blay wrote: »
    How many people drink ditch water?:pac: Maybe down in Cork or such they do but up here in the Pale we live to a higher standard:pac:

Where do you think your water comes from? The tap:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

If I drop an apple core under a wild apple tree in autumn, is it still littering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Throwing one apple core in a ditch is littering? silly stuff. Cant believe there is an argument about it on here tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Rynox45 wrote: »
    If I drop an apple core under a wild apple tree in autumn, is it still littering?

if a fat girl falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear, do the trees laugh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Do you throw your leftovers from dinner out onto the street too..at what point is littering wrong? If an apple is ok, why not a weeks worth of waste food?
    There in bold. Thats your answer. What the guy did was to conscientiously throw an organic piece of fruit into a place where it will not cause an eye sore and will actually fertilise the hedge. Sending it to landfill is much more harmful. Some discretion within the law is not unthinkable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When I'm walking through town and I've finished an apple/pear/banana I always end throwing it into a flower bed as I think it makes the most sense, it's compostible and saves money on landfill fees for the local council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sorry

That one's rotten to the core.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Why?
    Apples and dogs are different;)
    Different in scale, health risk, aesthetics, social acceptance, smell, ...different...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cyril Fails

But who decides what is acceptable and unacceptable? Why an apple and not leftovers from dinner? They're organic items too..they'll decompose. Distinctions breed ambiguity, easiest thing is to ban all littering..take the apple core home with ya ffs, would ya throw it into someone's garden? No..so why do it on the roadside?

Heaven forbid that a bureaucrat would have to make a common sense decision! :rolleyes:

Next you'll have everyone pay a shedding dead skin tax :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Grayson wrote: »
    I get the idea that it's wrong to throw out a load of rubbish like a sack of apple cores. But one core.

I'd have no trouble throwing it out. In a couple of days most of it would have been munched on by nature. What's left will degrade and make the soil better.

If it was more than an apple core, like the remains of a take away, I'd understand. But it was just an apple core.

if it was just one black bin bag full of rubbish it would be no big deal either. let someone else deal with it. i go hiking in wicklow every now and then and the sight of banana and orange peels looks terrible.

How do you phrase a law that states what you can and can't fcuk out of a car window into a ditch?

How about its nothing to do whether its done from a car or not....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Do you want a discussion or do you want to fling insults?

A fox dies in a hedgegrow, there are various insects and small animals that benefit from it and it is bio-degradeable. So what is wrong with me dumping a dogs body into a hedge?

Because an apple core is different to a dead dog. Compare to something similar, like a pear core. Yes, it's ok to drop that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

In some jurisdictions it's against the law to throw a boomerang up a one way street. Not a lotta people know that :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

All the litter officer saw was somebody throwing something out the window, while I have some sympathy for the guy and don't doubt he is being truthful, setting such a preceedent could see anybody who was caught claim it was just an apple core.

From a practical enforcement point of view this is the only sensible outcome.

Fine..how do you phrase a law on what is acceptable litter to dispose of on the street or into a ditch etc whether on foot, in a vehicle or on a bicycle? Give descriptions of items or name every single one?

How about using common sense? :rolleyes:

This is a case of bureaucrats creating work for themselves to justify their job. People cannot be this stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

marco_polo wrote: »
    All the litter officer saw was somebody throwing something out the window

It's a bit like that incident on the Tallahatchie Bridge awhile back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So are we allowed throw bread to the ducks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Boombastic wrote: »
    So are we allowed throw bread to the ducks?

Not if there is butter on the bread. Ducks are lactose intolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dempsey wrote: »
    How about using common sense? :rolleyes:

This is a case of bureaucrats creating work for themselves to justify their job. People cannot be this stupid!

TBH I couldn't give a sh1t about the case or how many apples he disposed of, I just find the debate over the issue interesting.

Who decides what falls within 'common sense'? Either all litter is ok or none is, you can't start saying one thing is ok and another isn't. If it's 'only an apple' then why can't the person take it home and dispose of it properly?

TBH I couldn't give a sh1t about the case or how many apples he disposed of, I just find the debate over the issue interesting.

Why cant you? Common Sense seems to be lost on you

Because it's not a black and white issue. How do you decide what is acceptable litter? One person might be fine with a an apple core being thrown on the street, another person might find rotten potatoes that someone disposed of on the street because they had no room in their bin acceptable. But what about the people who don't want to look at decomposing waste rolling around outside their garden gate? Should they be subjected to littering just because people are too lazy to bring the item home or dispose of it properly?

The 'common sense' argument is just a cop out because you can't adequately answer the question I posed earlier.

You are just creating a strawman argument

One apple core in a ditch is not littering, its obviously not the same as rotten potatoes in a street. Anyone with a brain knows the difference.

Dempsey wrote: »
    You are just creating a strawman argument

One apple core in a ditch is not littering, its obviously not the same as rotten potatoes in a street. Anyone with a brain knows the difference.

I'm not saying it's the same thing, I mentioned the potatoes simply as an escalation of littering. As I said earlier I don't give a crap about whether it was an apple or a pumpkin or his entire fridge of food. I'm just interested in assessing where people set the limits of what is acceptable litter and where it is acceptable to dispose of it...what I've got from this is people don't care as such as long as they can't see it...which is what I would have bet on from the outset.

I'm not saying it's the same thing, I mentioned the potatoes simply as an escalation of littering. As I said earlier I don't give a crap about whether it was an apple or a pumpkin or his entire fridge of food. I'm just interested in assessing where people set the limits of what is acceptable litter and where it is acceptable to dispose of it...what I've got from this is people don't care as such as long as they can't see it...which is what I would have bet on from the outset.

I think an escalation of littering would be treated differently, again common sense stuff :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

marco_polo wrote: »
    All the litter officer saw was somebody throwing something out the window, while I have some sympathy for the guy and don't doubt he is being truthful, setting such a preceedent could see anybody who was caught claim it was just an apple core.

From a practical enforcement point of view this is the only sensible outcome.

They done him without actually verifying what it was he threw??:eek:

Give a man a uniform......:rolleyes:

sorry

This comment ^above^ had me stumped lol so i had to search online to see what this cryptic wording meant and i came across this...

Armagh (GAA) The Orchard County The rich fruit growing country to the north-east of the city of Armagh is known as the "Orchard of Ireland". (The local election district is called "The Orchard")

I must be living under a rock/mountain. :D

zenno wrote: »
    This comment ^above^ had me stumped lol so i had to search online to see what this cryptic wording meant and i came across this...

Armagh (GAA) The Orchard County The rich fruit growing country to the north-east of the city of Armagh is known as the "Orchard of Ireland". (The local election district is called "The Orchard")

I must be living under a rock/mountain. :D

Lovely part of the country for a drive...if it wasn't for all those unsightly apples lying around. Somebody should do something about it, Joe, it's a disgrace Joe! :D

Who decides what falls within 'common sense'? Either all litter is ok or none is, you can't start saying one thing is ok and another isn't. If it's 'only an apple' then why can't the person take it home and dispose of it properly?

I just did a few hours ago and they were a nice set of apples :) She's gone now.

I've read so much about apples tonight i even ended up going into the kitchen and eating one and the last time i ate an apple was 67 months ago so there ye go, this apple debate is good for my teeth, cheers O.P. occasionally grinding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

zenno wrote: »

I just did a few hours ago and they were a nice set of apples :) She's gone now.

I've read so much about apples tonight i even ended up going into the kitchen and eating one and the last time i ate an apple was 67 months ago so there ye go, this apple debate is good for my teeth, cheers O.P. occasionally grinding them.
    xhrist almighty..its a fkn apple core..i dont litter..fag butts thrown out car windows really piss me off..i do and will continue to throw cores and banana skins/pears in to ditches ..not in towns or surburbia yes fruit skins at my discretion will continue to be tossed into hedgerows.and sod the council..lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have always trown out cores of apples and crusts of bread when travelling thinking i was helping the wild, i never ever trow rubbish out,
    but i taught that i was doing for the birds, more so in the cold weather, when there are no fruit, seeds, flowers, snails during cold snaps,
    and i have the habit in a very cold day when travelling to trow out full apples i may have bought at a cheap price, just to keep the birdies alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Clearly not a Star Trek fan or he'd know that a core ejection is something not done lightly.:):):)

I signed in just to sign this. :D

Maudi wrote: »
    xhrist almighty..its a fkn apple core..i dont litter..fag butts thrown out car windows really piss me off..i do and will continue to throw cores and banana skins/pears in to ditches ..not in towns or surburbia yes fruit skins at my discretion will continue to be tossed into hedgerows.and sod the council..lol.
    goat2 wrote: »
    i have always trown out cores of apples and crusts of bread when travelling thinking i was helping the wild, i never ever trow rubbish out,
    but i taught that i was doing for the birds, more so in the cold weather, when there are no fruit, seeds, flowers, snails during cold snaps,
    and i have the habit in a very cold day when travelling to trow out full apples i may have bought at a cheap price, just to keep the birdies alive

They're coming for yis, we don't need no lawbreaking deviants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Do you throw your leftovers from dinner out onto the street too..at what point is littering wrong? If an apple is ok, why not a weeks worth of waste food?
    as a matter of fact, i have made a fine large bird table a few yrs ago, and everything that can be eaten is put on that table, and it is always cleared by birdies, potato skins, bread, meat, veg, cerial, and that which fall off the blackbirds get, and i see the hedgehogs under the table every night during september feverishly feeding to fatten up for winter, i make sure to leave out fatty food for them for month of sept to warm them for winter, i saw about six of them about a month ago, and they live in a corner of my garden where i leave a great home for them, i have wood piled up with greenery covering it for them, so we are helping the envoirnment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Seaneh wrote: »
    When I'm walking through town and I've finished an apple/pear/banana I always end throwing it into a flower bed as I think it makes the most sense, it's compostible and saves money on landfill fees for the local council.

Do you really believe that because its gone next day - that it has decomposed - or that maybe someone has taken it upon themselves to clean up your litter for you.

Tossing food (partially eaten apples, bananas, orange peals) onto roads encourages rats and other pests - you are not helping the plant life.

Depending on where you throw it - it could take months - or even YEARS for an apple or banana to decompose - most wont want to see your lunch on the road side or flower beds til then.

http://www.mountaineering.ie/accessandconservation/viewdetails.asp?ID=5
    "Leave no litter behind; even biodegradable items like banana skins and teabags take years to disappear"

“Roll it back”

The War On Apples in Ireland according to GTA5... i'm only an apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Americans phrase their littering law according to what can be thrown out. Two things clean water (as it is harmless) and
    feathers (on the basis that is impossible to prevent them getting scattered when you transport poultry)
    everything else is considered littering.

Pretty clear imho.

An apple core is natural.. Cooked and since gone off food doesn't occur in nature.

• Advertisement

An apple core is natural.. Cooked and since gone off food doesn't occur in nature.

I was alluding to them both being biodegradeable...which was the crux of the article. As I said earlier..what he actually threw away was of little consequence to me..what I was debating here was at what point people drew the line in littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Cybercubed wrote: »
    No one has considered the fact, that had said core bounced, it could have shot up and took someone's eye out or an old lady searching in the hedge for her lost bus pass may have slipped on it and injured herself badly.

Think on.

It was an apple core he threw out, not a banana skin.thus, no bitchzz gonna be slippin

Have we got to the core of the problem

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What if you took an apple from an apple tree, finished it, then threw it back under the same tree?

MarkR wrote: »
    What if you took an apple from an apple tree, finished it, then threw it back under the same tree?

Simple... You would be arrested and fined. Welcome to Angela Merkels law policy for all E.U countries. Tits only the beginning. And the bells were ringing out for christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I actually can't believe the amount of support for the law on this one.

Stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If it was a genetically modified apple core that he discarded out the window of his car the council would have been correct to fine him. :p

If it was a genetically modified apple core that he discarded out the window of his car the council would have been correct to fine him. :p

That's the thing.. Monsanto if people haven't noticed ... they are trying to convert the farmers to buying their modified seeds and then when this happens monsanto will own them I sh1t you not. Watch this space.

The plan is to remove organic foods and patent all seeds (monsanto) in 5 years every farmer in Ireland will be using monsanto seeds only and say bye bye to organic.

What's that smell ? back in a minute...

Ah it was just the stench of monsanto passing by, not to worry ?.

Until I read this thread, I actually thought it would be legal to throw an apple butt back into nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

If an apple falls in a bush and nobody is around to hear it does it bio degrade .

Until I read this thread, I actually thought it would be legal to throw an apple butt back into nature.

Legal or not...You do what you think is the right thing to do. It is the most braindead fine of an Irish citizen I ever came across. I'll harp this on again... the apples habitat is nature so it should be disposed of in this environment and this guy gets a fine LOL am i living in a different dimension like the twilight-zone ? the laws being attached to some people are down right insane, insane i tells ye. i'm leaving here soon and thank fcuk for that as i can't understand this insane accumulation of braindead laws and forces encumbering us all with no end to it.

My left-over apple will be thrown relaxingly into the greenery and if anyone says boo to me i will plant them beside the apple tree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement