Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man fined £150 for throwing apple core out of car window in to hedge

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

double post error..sorry mod.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blay wrote: »
    I was alluding to them both being biodegradeable...which was the crux of the article. As I said earlier..what he actually threw away was of little consequence to me..what I was debating here was at what point people drew the line in littering.

Do you know the difference between biodegradable and compostable? That's pretty much the crux of the debate. You said earlier he should have brought it home and disposed of it properly. What do you consider to be the proper method of disposal of an apple?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

But who decides what is acceptable and unacceptable? Why an apple and not leftovers from dinner?(I don't need a break down of exactly why..I'm just theorising here) They're organic items too..they'll decompose. Distinctions breed ambiguity, easiest thing is to ban all littering..take the apple core home with ya ffs, would ya throw it into someone's garden? No..so why do it on the roadside?
    The litter wardens dedide. They are intelligent enough to differentiate between one apple core hidden in a hedge and a bag of food waste or an irish Wolf Hound (as mentioned by anothe poster). IIf you take it home it will more than likely end up in landfill where damage is done.

How do you phrase a law that states what you can and can't fcuk out of a car window into a ditch? Do you give general descriptions of acceptable litter or list every single item that you can throw out?
    It has nothing to do with the phrasing of the law but everything to do with those in a position of power having the ability to think rather than being mindless automitons. The police can do it so why not other authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Did the (informer) stop ,retrieve the offending apple core,present it as evidence. Complete with DNA proof to connect defendant.Also a video of the throwing.Otherwise the core may have been taken from his trash can.
    The whole case is based on heresay and unsubstanciated story.

Fxxk you judge,and your informers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I think it's the fluoride doses these judges and politicians ingest daily that is making them and the rest of the population braindead. Have you ever seen an Irish politician on tv that can speak english fluently ? and and and or eh eh eh the the the etc... Fluoride poisoning i'd say, we need a government of people that are not fluoridated that can talk english normally instead of these stammering arse holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

ozmo wrote: »
    Seaneh wrote: »
    When I'm walking through town and I've finished an apple/pear/banana I always end throwing it into a flower bed as I think it makes the most sense, it's compostible and saves money on landfill fees for the local council.

Do you really believe that because its gone next day - that it has decomposed - or that maybe someone has taken it upon themselves to clean up your litter for you.

Tossing food (partially eaten apples, bananas, orange peals) onto roads encourages rats and other pests - you are not helping the plant life.

Depending on where you throw it - it could take months - or even YEARS for an apple or banana to decompose - most wont want to see your lunch on the road side or flower beds til then.

http://www.mountaineering.ie/accessandconservation/viewdetails.asp?ID=5
    "Leave no litter behind; even biodegradable items like banana skins and teabags take years to disappear"
    ha ha..what nonsense!!years to decompose..re read what you wrote and have a think about how silly it sounds..i toss all our left over food out for the swans n seagulls to eat..is this littering? and teabags go into the compost bin..where they break down in DAYS!!...wasting food is a sin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

bluewolf wrote: »
    Have we got to the core of the problem

It's being fleshed out as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Boombastic wrote: »
    So are we allowed throw bread to the ducks?

in some places you cannot as it attracts rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

150 STG IS A BIT STEEP , HOW DID HE LIKE THEM APPLES ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If the argument that it's biodegradable held up people could throw waste food out anywhere they cared because it's 'biodegradable'. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oh FFS.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Are you asking me or telling me? ;)

As far as I'm concerned it is litter, same as a banana peel, cigarette butt or chocolate bar wrapper.

Let me see, uncooked foodsutff that rots and degrades naturally versus chemically enhanced products and plastics. :rolleyes:
    syklops wrote: »
    Do you want a discussion or do you want to fling insults?

A fox dies in a hedgegrow, there are various insects and small animals that benefit from it and it is bio-degradeable. So what is wrong with me dumping a dogs body into a hedge?

See the word in bold ?
    Or maybe you dumped the dying fox as well ?
    How many people drink ditch water?:pac: Maybe down in Cork or such they do but up here in the Pale we live to a higher standard:pac:

He he he...
    Have you ever seen the water in the reservoirs that Dublin and surrounding towns use ?
    Ever see the streams that enter those reservoirs ?
    Who decides what falls within 'common sense'? Either all litter is ok or none is, you can't start saying one thing is ok and another isn't. If it's 'only an apple' then why can't the person take it home and dispose of it properly?

TBH I couldn't give a sh1t about the case or how many apples he disposed of, I just find the debate over the issue interesting.

You are a prime example of our modern society where the ability to use a bit of cop on seems to be frowned upon, mainly I supppose because some like yourself are incapable of arriving at it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jmayo wrote: »

You are a prime example of our modern society where the ability to use a bit of cop on seems to be frowned upon, mainly I supppose because some like yourself are incapable of arriving at it.

You seem to have missed the posts where I stated I didnt care how many apples he threw into the hedge..I was engaging with people on the thread to find out at what point people considered litter unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You seem to have missed the posts where I stated I didnt care how many apples he threw into the hedge..I was engaging with people on the thread to find out at what point people considered litter unacceptable.

No the gist of your posts is that a line has to be drawn and basically anything is thus litter.
    Others have also engaged in the same cr**.

One should use some common sense and discretion in a situation.

If the guy dumped a big bag or box full of rotten apples out, dumped a plate full of cooked food, a mcdonalds half eaten burger then do him for dumping.
    If he fires out one apple core then have the cop on not to do him.

This incident shows why the law and the system can indeed be made to look like an ass.
    Lots of laws need to be interpreted with a degree of common sense.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jmayo wrote: »
    No the gist of your posts is that a line has to be drawn and basically anything is thus litter.
    Others have also engaged in the same cr**.

One should use some common sense and discretion in a situation.

If the guy dumped a big bag or box full of rotten apples out, dumped a plate full of cooked food, a mcdonalds half eaten burger then do him for dumping.
    If he fires out one apple core then have the cop on not to do him.

This incident shows why the law and the system can indeed be made to look like an ass.
    Lots of laws need to be interpreted with a degree of common sense.

I was interested in seeing where the people here drew that line, the law states its drawn at any item, I was engaging with people to see where people on the street drew it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wonder what'd happen if he threw an iPhone out the window
    Apple would probably sue him.

Google would probably thank him and pay the fine! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

goat2 wrote: »
    but i taught that i was doing for the birds, more so in the cold weather, when there are no fruit, seeds, flowers, snails during cold snaps,
    and i have the habit in a very cold day when travelling to trow out full apples i may have bought at a cheap price, just to keep the birdies alive
    In reality you are mostly feeding four legged birdies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Thread reminds me about 2yrs ago in Autumn, I was cleaning my car, which was parked under a tree. I was scooping out leaves that had collected in the gap between the windscreen and top of the bonnet and throwing them on the ground (with the rest of the leaves), when one of my troublesome neighbours came out and started giving me abuse for "littering". He was quite a bell-end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If the argument that it's biodegradable held up people could throw waste food out anywhere they cared because it's 'biodegradable'.
    so what? if its biodegradable its fine to throw it out. if you have any plastic around it you won't be able to throw that out. and no actually if the argument that it was biodegradable held up it doesn't automatically mean people will throw stuff out where-ever they wish because its biodegradable, those who will throw something out will do it anyway, after all they don't believe they will be caught, after all some people don't need laws to tell them what to do they can set their own standards.
    A line has to be drawn somewhere.

yes, anything that isn't biodegradable can't be thrown out. all this litter thing is no more about litter, its about being a money making racket as usual.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

zenno wrote: »
    Simple... You would be arrested and fined. Welcome to Angela Merkels law policy for all E.U countries. Tits only the beginning. And the bells were ringing out for christmas day.

yeah, bloody EU. you are not even allowed to throw your domestic waste in the bog anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Why didn't he just eat the whole thing. No littering and extra food. Nom

Duckjob wrote: »
    Thread reminds me about 2yrs ago in Autumn, I was cleaning my car, which was parked under a tree. I was scooping out leaves that had collected in the gap between the windscreen and top of the bonnet and throwing them on the ground (with the rest of the leaves), when one of my troublesome neighbours came out and started giving me abuse for "littering". He was quite a bell-end.

Yes but you see, today its a few leaves, tomorrow it'll be a tree then a golden retriever then a herd of dead horses... if you follow this threads logic...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

that was one dear apple,
    i hope the person enjoyed every bite,
    its the golden apple.

iiiii llllllllllove aaaapples,
    bbbbbbbbbbbirdies love them too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dempsey wrote: »
    Throwing one apple core in a ditch is littering? silly stuff. Cant believe there is an argument about it on here tbh

People throwing apple cores out of car windows give me the pip. They do not a-peel to me at all as i'm a decent old skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ozmo

Maudi wrote: »
    ha ha..what nonsense!!years to decompose..re read what you wrote and have a think about how silly it sounds..i toss all our left over food out for the swans n seagulls to eat..is this littering? and teabags go into the compost bin..where they break down in DAYS!!...wasting food is a sin..

Not nonsense at all - was even on rte nationwide last month back where they made an appeal for people sticking banana peels and apples into dry stone walls on hill walks to stop doing it - they somehow think it was just going to disappear or animals will eat it- they dont - your litter is being picked up by locals or other walkers - not even council cleaners.

I help organise cleanups for my area 6 times a year - we get a good turnout - we get bag loads of junk from our hedges and trees discarded by people like you.

It doesn't biodegrade easy! really!

(unless you take time to bury it or churn it up into the soil - as if someone is going to do that)

Fine was well deserved.

Apples for birds - during winter sure that's a good thing - but not chucking them in unspoilt countryside or city parks - that's just litter - from my driving through UK - I do think they have much cleaner roads.

(also - I feed birds myself - but in uk, where this happened- its considered feeding seagulls is a bad thing... seagulls attack people during nesting season,are noisy and their excrement is acidic and damages buildings etc - and so local councils there are trying to encourage people not to feed them. http://www.clydebanklive.co.uk/war-on-seagulls/)

“Roll it back”

If you threw an I pad out the window , would that count as an apple ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I threw out so many apple cores at the back of my old workplace an apple tree eventually grew there!

Same thing happened me with some magic beans .

cheers

Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

figs666 wrote: »
    Same thing happened me with some magic beans .

cheers

Jack

The end of that book will have to be re-written. Instead of a magical beanstalk growing, the litter wardens arrest jack and he appears in court:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

WEll I wudda thought that apples were ok, there to be eaten by the birds and the animals. You learn something every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Not nonsense at all - was even on rte nationwide last month back where they made an appeal for people sticking banana peels and apples into dry stone walls on hill walks to stop doing it - they somehow think it was just going to disappear or animals will eat it- they dont - your litter is being picked up by locals or other walkers - not even council cleaners.

I help organise cleanups for my area 6 times a year - we get a good turnout - we get bag loads of junk from our hedges and trees discarded by people like you.

(unless you take time to bury it or churn it up into the soil - as if someone is going to do that)

Fine was well deserved.

Apples for birds - during winter sure that's a good thing - but not chucking them in unspoilt countryside or city parks - that's just litter - from my driving through UK - I do think they have much cleaner roads.

(also - I feed birds myself - but in uk, where this happened- its considered feeding seagulls is a bad thing... seagulls attack people during nesting season,are noisy and their excrement is acidic and damages buildings etc - and so local councils there are trying to encourage people not to feed them. http://www.clydebanklive.co.uk/war-on-seagulls/)

you're talking pure sh1te. an apple butt or a banana skin is hardly unsightly and when they do break down they are adding nutrients to that area. i throw bananna skins and apply buts in my flower beds all the time.

• Advertisement

Fine was well deserved.

jeeze!!ah sure you shouda said it was on nationwide!!!that makes all the diffrence...look i do a hell of a lot of walking and ive never ever ever had a problem with apple or banana peels..its harmless to toss fruit responsible mature a dults do it all the time..just use your discretion...i do notice a lot of white tissue paper when im out??all the time..small squares of white tissue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ozmo

its harmless to toss fruit responsible mature a dults do it all the time..

Noone can stop you - and yes some *Irish* Adults do it all the time - that does not make it any less disgusting or harmless.

Why would Ireland still be in the medieval times mentality that it is perfectly acceptable to discard your uneaten food in the streets?

This would be abnormal and frowned upon behaviour in UK countryside, Northern Ireland or most of Europe for that matter. Who would leave a banana or orange peel on their own lawn?

Some more degrade times - this time more for ground level rather than higher up in the hills where it takes many times longer:

How long does it take to decompose?

Banana Peel - 3-4 weeks
    Orange peels - 6 months
    Apple Core - 2 months
    Cigarette Butts - 10-12 years

Milk Cartons- 5 years
    Paper Towel- 2-4 weeks
    Aluminium Can- 200-500 years
    Plastic Bags- 20-1000 years
    Glass- 1-2 million years
    Plastic containers- 50-80 years
    Foamed Plastic Cups- 50 years
    Plastic Bottles- 450 years

Full list here:
    link

lovely.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

goat2 wrote: »
    that was one dear apple,
    i hope the person enjoyed every bite,
    its the golden apple.

iiiii llllllllllove aaaapples,
    bbbbbbbbbbbirdies love them too

220 bucks @ border control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Noone can stop you - and yes some *Irish* Adults do it all the time - that does not make it any less disgusting or harmless.

Why would Ireland still be in the medieval times mentality that it is perfectly acceptable to discard your uneaten food in the streets?

This would be abnormal and frowned upon behaviour in UK countryside, Northern Ireland or most of Europe for that matter. Who would leave a banana or orange peel on their own lawn?

Some more degrade times - this time more for ground level rather than higher up in the hills where it takes many times longer:

Banana Peel - 3-4 weeks
    Orange peels - 6 months
    Apple Core - 2 months

Milk Cartons- 5 years
    Paper Towel- 2-4 weeks
    Glass- 1-2 million years

Full list here:
    link

lovely.

what if a bird swoops down and eats it?

of course the idea is that food gets eaten, not just decomposed. Even then it hardly takes that long, in a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is faeces biodegradable?
    Yes, it's an essential part of the ecosystem, it's basically fertiliser.

I wouldn't have pointed to the eminent arrival of peak phosphorus and said I was doing the farmer that owned the field a favour.

I mean fruit decomposes in fields all the time, like when it falls of trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

figs666 wrote: »
    If you threw an I pad out the window , would that count as an apple ?

If you threw a Galaxy out of the window, would the court call that an Apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Fruit flies like a banana :)

its harmless to toss fruit responsible mature a dults do it all the time..
    f

Banana Peel - 3-4 weeks
    Orange peels - 6 months
    Apple Core - 2 months

Milk Cartons- 5 years
    Paper Towel- 2-4 weeks
    Glass- 1-2 million years

Full list here:
    link

lovely.
    f.f.s what are you posting all that for?its people like you that has the country in the mess its in....some of your examples are wrong too..plastic bottles is one..they take much longer than 450 years to decompose..the rest of the list ..i just dnt bother reading it t.b.h...il say it once more i dont litter..i bring All my litter home in my day bag..if im in an urban area my apple butts go in the nearest bin.if im in the hills my apple butts/banana skins /bread crusts get tossed discreetly into bushes..NOT up into trees or on paths to be tut tutted by you.but discreetly out of sight..you dont have to reply ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement