Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teat size - when

Options
  • 06-10-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi my ds is 13wks just wondering when to change teat..??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

There are a number of reasons to change teat:-

- usually when they start drinking larger volumes of milk, you move up a size

- if you change to a thicker formula

- if the baby starts getting tired when drinking, ie won't go back to a feed after winding or is taking a long time to drink

- when they get teeth they bite through the teat to get to the milk themselves :D

Some babies can keep to a number 1 or 2 teat and never move on to 3. You don't have to change at all if they're happy as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

my daughter is still on her first teat at 6 and a half months. I do try a faster one every now and again and she just gulps and panics and wont drink the bottle.

With water she will drink it on a fast teat or free flow sippy no problem just wont drink the milk fast. If she she isn't getting it fast enough for her she will let you know:P

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Thanks guys he's on hungrier food since 4wks , and 7oz at 7 wks ...sometimes he won't finish the bottle he's prob had enough maybe ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Play Bunny wrote: »
    Thanks guys he's on hungrier food since 4wks , and 7oz at 7 wks ...sometimes he won't finish the bottle he's prob had enough maybe ...

What teat is he on now? I never used the hungrier formula so I don't know if its thicker than the normal one. You could always try a different teat, if he coughs and splutters he's not ready for them so change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I changed up when my daughter started drinking more and it was taking her a long time to finish the bottle. Also, I never used hungry formula so I could be wrong but I thought because it was thicker you had to use a size 2 teat with it?

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I changed up when my daughter started drinking more and it was taking her a long time to finish the bottle. Also, I never used hungry formula so I could be wrong but I thought because it was thicker you had to use a size 2 teat with it?

Not sure c I used size 1 on dd she was on hungrier food at 4wks... He's on size 1 I think I use to change the teat every couple of mths for hygiene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I use Aptimal hungry formula I don't think there is any difference in the consistency.
    I moved onto no 2 avent teats at around 6 weeks when a previously savage baby started stopping after 4ozs of a 6oz bottle, but would be hungry a couple of hours later.
    Cldnt believe the difference when I changed teats. Looking back she was really having to pull on the 1's so that's what I'm looking out for this time.
    I did try no 3's recently, as she had started leaving a few ozs of formula again. She drank it very very fast (7ozs in 15mins and had a windy pain after.)

kildareash wrote: »
    I use Aptimal hungry formula I don't think there is any difference in the consistency.
    I moved onto no 2 avent teats at around 6 weeks when a previously savage baby started stopping after 4ozs of a 6oz bottle, but would be hungry a couple of hours later.
    Cldnt believe the difference when I changed teats. Looking back she was really having to pull on the 1's so that's what I'm looking out for this time.
    I did try no 3's recently, as she had started leaving a few ozs of formula again. She drank it very very fast (7ozs in 15mins and had a windy pain after.)
    Wow, defo will pick size 2 up, I've only got 2 so will pick up more and change them on all his bottles , tnx girls very helpful ;)

Advertisement