Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona V Real Madrid - Sunday 7th October 6:50pm - Sky Sports 1

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Am i being a bit soft in thinking it's kind of nice that Ronaldo and Messi were the lone scorers in such a high quality, high scoring game?

In terms of the title i think that was a must win game for Real. Can't see them overtaking Barca now.

It's October...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Missed it anyone normal care to sum up the game? I find websites over dramatise this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

PHB wrote: »
    It's October...

Sure is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Missed it anyone normal care to sum up the game? I find websites over dramatise this game.

2-2, Messi & Ronaldo scored 2 each. There was chances for either team. It ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

dreamers75 wrote: »

Messi was supreme, Ronaldo was workman like :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Good game played in good spirits.

Madrid really need to sort out finishing. There have been at least 3 Classicos this year where it should have been 3-0 or 4-0 after 25 minutes and they've gone on to be close games or draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I know they won the league last year but Madrid are still missing something in my eyes. Too much individuals on that team. Think Ozil and Alonso would be better off(for themselves) in a different team. Also not a fan of Marcelo.

I predict another year with no champions league trophy. Mourinho never should've taken the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know they won the league last year but Madrid are still missing something in my eyes. Too much individuals on that team. Think Ozil and Alonso would be better off(for themselves) in a different team. Also not a fan of Marcelo.

I predict another year with no champions league trophy. Mourinho never should've taken the job.

I think they are lucky to be in the Madrid team after some of their performances this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think it's fair to say that Madrid have massively closed the gap on Barca over the last 12 months. The last several Clasicos have been incredibly tight and unpredictable. Compare that to before when Barca were winning comfortably and Real had to resort to ultra defensive tactics to get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Am i being a bit soft in thinking it's kind of nice that Ronaldo and Messi were the lone scorers in such a high quality, high scoring game?

In terms of the title i think that was a must win game for Real. Can't see them overtaking Barca now.

I agree. 8 points over the course of 31 games is too much for Ronaldo and co.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

PHB wrote: »
    It's October...

It's also la Liga

[/cynic]

dfx- wrote: »
    It's also la Liga

[/cynic]

Good as they are, Barcelona will still lose a couple of games before the next Classico. Neither team will win all of their games between now and then, but if the gap could be 6 or fewer points by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Barcelona will crumble this season, Falcao will take that defense to the cleaners when they meet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Least we can say when we are old that we had the privilege to witness the best years of Lionel Messi..

The guy is a phenomenal talent that only comes around every couple of generations.

that free kick :eek:..

Messi knew where he was putting the ball.
    Casillas knew where he was putting the ball
    The wall knew where he was putting the ball
    We all knew knew where he was putting the ball

Could anyone stop him/it? ..fcuk no!

messi2.gif

itdfvi99ba6lq.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

First time seeing the free kick.

Great free kick but nothing that only he can do?
    Players score free kicks like that all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Prick! wrote: »

He did it with power and accuracy and he did it in one of the biggest matches for his team in the season.

That's what seperates him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah players score from free kicks all the time, but not consistently. Most direct free kicks in world football are rubbish.

Not long before that free, Ronaldo had one closer in at the other end. Now Ronaldo is touted as one of the best free takers in the world. He blasted his into the wall, yet from further out Messi almost placed his past one of the best keepers in the world.

I would love to see stats for % free's taken and scored. The success rate would be very low, but I'd hazard a guess Messi would be near the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah players score from free kicks all the time, but not consistently. Most direct free kicks in world football are rubbish.

Not long before that free, Ronaldo had one closer in at the other end. Now Ronaldo is touted as one of the best free takers in the world. He blasted his into the wall, yet from further out Messi almost placed his past one of the best keepers in the world.

I would love to see stats for % free's taken and scored. The success rate would be very low, but I'd hazard a guess Messi would be near the top.
    Messi had another free after that from roughly the same position, and blew it over the bar, I wish his fansboys would calm down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Messi had another free after that from roughly the same position, and blew it over the bar, I wish his fansboys would calm down
    He scored one like it in the last series of Clasicos too. And but for Paplop magnificent save he'd have scored one against Sevilla.

He's definitely one of the more consistent in free takers in forcing a very good save that I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You would be wrong. Barcas conversion rate from free kicks is very low. Messi is not a great free kick taker by any means. Xavi is probably the best free kick taker in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

gimmick wrote: »
    Messi is not a great free kick taker by any means. Xavi is probably the best free kick taker in the team.

His free kick ability has being improving massively though. Scored a few crackers already this season, before the one last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Messi is probably better than Ronaldo at free kicks now tbh
    i personally think Ronaldo deserves the Ballon D'or this year
    Messi scored more this year but Ronaldo scored more important goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MD1990 wrote: »
    Messi is probably better than Ronaldo at free kicks now tbh
    i personally think Ronaldo deserves the Ballon D'or this year
    Messi scored more this year but Ronaldo scored more important goals

Was Ronaldo ever actually good at free kicks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

tolosenc wrote: »
    Good as they are, Barcelona will still lose a couple of games before the next Classico. Neither team will win all of their games between now and then, but if the gap could be 6 or fewer points by then.

Barcelona will drop points, but so will Madrid. The benefit for Madrid in this game is they might not have to win at home in the Clasico to get the head-to head advantage..which is what they won the league by 5 years ago.

Really? What games do you go to?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SantryRed wrote: »
    Was Ronaldo ever actually good at free kicks?

In his final couple of seasons at United he did reasonably well I think, I remember being at a game against Stoke in November 2008 where he scored 2 in a 5-0 win and got another on target which I was pretty impressed by. He got very good at getting them on target anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liam O wrote: »
    In his final couple of seasons at United he did reasonably well I think, I remember being at a game against Stoke in November 2008 where he scored 2 in a 5-0 win and got another on target which I was pretty impressed by. He got very good at getting them on target anyway.

Was that the year he scored the screamer against Portsmouth? I remember him being decent that season but for Madrid, it just seems like hitting and hoping and maybe 1 in 10 troubling the keeper sufficiently.

A free kick can be too close in too. Not surprising that Ronaldo hit the wall as he had less time to get it up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was still a distance out. Ron seems to hit the wall more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I was there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement