Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Gailearai Beag Galway

Options
  • 06-10-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

came across this place in Galway recently.

its basically an antique shop but also sells militaria. it has a small selection of Irish Defence Forces militaria and medals from the world wars.

its not bad considering how thin on the ground militaria seems to be in this country.

http://www.thelatinquarter.ie/listing/an-gailearai-beag.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

I visit there any time I'm in Galway and I have picked up a few nice pieces, but as with everywhere, you really have to know your stuff or you could get burned.
    I really do not think they intentionally sell any fake stuff, but rather they themselves have been conned on occasion when purchasing their stock. For example, I saw this "German air force summer flight blouse" on offer last summer... :eek:

luft1.jpg

luft2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Oh dear. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

maybe they were still being made in POW camps in 1946:).
    I go into a lot of antique and junk shops looking for militaria and its seldom I come across anything at all. If I do it is very often overpriced. I did not get a chance to speak to the woman behind the counter so was not sure if she knew her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

It looks like a cheap ass linen shirt with a few felt patches sown on.

Advertisement