Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horse fair: Dublin City Council to charge €30 a horse casual trading fee

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Vizzy wrote: »
    He probably doesn't know where Smithfield is cos he is living in Nevada USA.( or maybe there is a hose fair in downtown Las Vegas every Sunday)

I lived in Smithfield for seven years, probably got a damn sight closer to the Horse Fair than these people with large brushes of tar and bargepoles.

And no, I don't live in Nevada. Guess again.

WTF is a hose fair anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

It's obvious you have absolutely no idea of what goes on at the Smithfield markets. Perhaps, should you get the opportunity, you should go down and see for yourself what exactly they are all about.
    Until then any further comments or opinions you post in this thread are void.

Actually I've been to the Smithfield horse fairs, not for a few years but i've been.

Is somebody going to show me some proof of what's going on (and how it's linked to horse ownership) or are we just going to resort to scaremongering and nasty terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Actually I've been to the Smithfield horse fairs, not for a few years but i've been.

Is somebody going to show me some proof of what's going on (and how it's linked to horse ownership) or are we just going to resort to scaremongering and nasty terms.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-hold-one-man-in-connection-with-smithfield-gun-attacks-97758-Mar2011/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No,it's not stopping against poorer people having horses, it's about animal welfare. I'd like a really big dog too, but as we are out at work each day it wouldn't be fair on the animal.Hence, I choose not to have a big dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

wrong quote

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-hold-one-man-in-connection-with-smithfield-gun-attacks-97758-Mar2011/[/QUOTE]

One swallow doesn't make a summer. We all about this isolated incidence, I want proof (as I made clear earlier) that there is deep rooted criminality associated with this horse fair, because that's whats being claimed here.
    No,it's not stopping against poorer people having horses, it's about animal welfare. I'd like a really big dog too, but as we are out at work each day it wouldn't be fair on the animal.Hence, I choose not to have a big dog.

That just doesn't make sense? Don't keep a big dog then good for you. Poor people have been keeping horses just fine for years there's nothing inherently cruel to the horse if it's owner is poor so long as it's fed and kept healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

What the phook is thread about? People selling horses in smithfield? I Generally would avoid the area when its going on. Cause its the wild west. Anything goes. Even horses riding poor unfortunate garda. It's mad up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-hold-one-man-in-connection-with-smithfield-gun-attacks-97758-Mar2011/[/QUOTE]

One swallow doesn't make a summer. We all about this isolated incidence, I want proof (as I made clear earlier) that there is deep rooted criminality associated with this horse fair, because that's whats being claimed here.

That just doesn't make sense? Don't keep a big dog then good for you. Poor people have been keeping horses just fine for years there's nothing inherently cruel to the horse if it's owner is poor so long as it's fed and kept healthy.

You really are clueless. It's got nothing to do with poor people.

No point trying to get thru to idiots. I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭apache

MadsL wrote: »
    apache wrote: »
    Just hate people who abuse animals and then turn around and say they love them. They use no saddle and drag the bit cutting into the horses mouth as they use that for balance. Yeah horse lovers allright. Should be illegal.

So banning horse gatherings like this is the way to teach them a lesson eh? How would you know how things are now if you haven't been for 10 years?
    Because as i already said before although i have boycotted this fair for a long time i see the fallout from it. Starving horses on waste grounds with no water or shelter. Ireland has an epidemic on horse abuse. Scummers riding them into the ground not to mention health and safety issues in a closed in area with apartments and shops. It was a different story years ago. Now its full of cruelty. And then their owners get locked up as they usually do and noone is responsible for the horse. Either that or they get bored.
    Wise up and do some research. Maybe take a trip down to the DSPCA and ask them!
    Maybe guess why theres a more visible garda presence there in the past few years.
    You come across holier than thou and smart but you have no common sense.

Because as i already said before although i have boycotted this fair for a long time i see the fallout from it. Starving horses on waste grounds with no water or shelter. Ireland has an epidemic on horse abuse. Scummers riding them into the ground not to mention health and safety issues in a closed in area with apartments and shops. It was a different story years ago. Now its full of cruelty. And then their owners get locked up as they usually do and noone is responsible for the horse. Either that or they get bored.
    Wise up and do some research. Maybe take a trip down to the DSPCA and ask them!
    Maybe guess why theres a more visible garda presence there in the past few years.
    You come across holier than thou and smart but you have no common sense.

Because "boycotting' the fair (were you a big horse buyer previously?) and insulting me is a great way to bring about changes. Good luck with your good efforts in this regard, what were they again? Oh yes. Not going to the horsefair and insulting me. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭apache

Oh if you can't take it don't dish it out. You're pretty good at it! Boo hoo. You live in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh if you can't take it don't dish it out. You're pretty good at it! Boo hoo. You live in cloud cuckoo land.

Where did I insult you or any other poster in this thread? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Only rich people can keep horses?

I think this is clearly a move to get rid of this horse fair. Im not in Dublin much but hasn't there been a move to gentrify the Smithfield area. So obviously no working class types wanted, so get rid of the horse fair.

God, if people aren't hiding animal abuse behind tradition, then they come out screaming the class card. I personally find it quite disgusting to use defenceless animals as a mean to promote an agenda. Why should it be someone's right to own a living creature that they cannot afford to care for properly?
    I'd love a horse. I'd love more dogs. However, as someone who has just come off the dole to go back to college, I can't afford to.
    I'll say it again, horses are expensive at the best of times. When something goes wrong though injury or illness, the costs can be massive.
    I noticed your sarcastic reply to another poster who suggested these young lads help out at an animal sanctuary. What's so wrong about that - at least they may learn something, and see the reality of the consequences of the likes of Smithfield.
    If someone can't afford a €30 fee, how can they be expected to pay for an unexpected veterinary emergency, let alone the regular costs of caring for a horse?

mosi wrote: »
    If someone can't afford a €30 fee, how can they be expected to pay for an unexpected veterinary emergency, let alone the regular costs of caring for a horse?

The €30 fee (and all the other hoops) is to sell a horse, not buy one.

The €30 fee (and all the other hoops) is to sell a horse, not buy one.

Doesn't matter. If the fee is a problem, what are they doing with horses in the first place? €30 is miniscule in comparison to the costs involved in keeping horses

Doesn't matter. If the fee is a problem, what are they doing with horses in the first place? €30 is miniscule in comparison to the costs involved in keeping horses

The proposal is that they bring in a fee, tax clearance and insurance requirements of 6 million.

Which would you prefer, horses sold in front of the DSPCA and Gardai where advice, treatment and confiscations can be made, or sales off the radar out in the estates.

DCC's proposals will not prevent the sale of horses, that much is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

By keeping a horse on the green in your housing estate or on the side of the road, costs can be minimised;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Personal liability insurance to the tune of 6-odd million is not terribly expensive. Big numbers sound scary, but that's probably about sixty or seventy quid a year, max. Yours sincerely, someone who has such insurance.

Personal liability insurance to the tune of 6-odd million is not terribly expensive. Big numbers sound scary, but that's probably about sixty or seventy quid a year, max. Yours sincerely, someone who has such insurance.

Does it cover you for horses in a public space?

• Advertisement

It's actually a fairly standard insurance to have. Most horse shows require exhibitors to have public liability insurance, don't see why it should be any different for Smithfield

It's actually a fairly standard insurance to have. Most horse shows require exhibitors to have public liability insurance, don't see why it should be any different for Smithfield

Which doesn't answer the question I asked, does it?

There is also this question which you ignored.
    Which would you prefer, horses sold in front of the DSPCA and Gardai where advice, treatment and confiscations can be made, or sales off the radar out in the estates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes, amongst a multitude of other things. As others have said, this is neither onerous nor unusual.

Yes, amongst a multitude of other things. As others have said, this is neither onerous nor unusual.

Link to the policy document please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I lived in Smithfield for seven years, probably got a damn sight closer to the Horse Fair than these people with large brushes of tar and bargepoles.

And no, I don't live in Nevada. Guess again.

WTF is a hose fair anyway?

New Mexico maybe ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    New Mexico maybe ?

Jesus. Just a little over a month to work it out, well done. Have you considered becoming a detective with the Gardai?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

A cow is a powerful animal but it doesn't requrie special legislation to own one.

There is no legislation to keep one but you can't sell cattle without the dept of agriculture id card that follows the animal from birth to death. (wouldn't be a bad idea to apply this to horses as well IMHO)

A 30 euro fee will simply move the problem somewhere else, Ballinasloe or some other epicentre of cultural activity.

No-one has a 'right' to own an animal of any kind if they can't look after it properly.

Advertisement