Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new Web Series: "Hunter"

Options
  • 07-10-2012 12:10am

An upcoming web series that will be premiering on the 26th of October.

Hunter, a show about a Teenager moonlighting between being 16, A Private detective, A Vampire Hunter and trying to find out who killed his Mother.

Synopsis:
    When his Mother is killed in a break and entry and a Man confesses to the authorities, false details in his report leads Hunter that the people behind his Mothers death are still at large. A detail he left out in his own statement, 2 bite marks in his neck.

http://www.facebook.com/The.Hunter.Series
    http://www.twitter.com/HunterSeries
    http://www.youtube.com/HunterSeries

Hope you guys check it out and enjoy, rate and comment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fitzy45

Is this trailer made of some sort of test footage, or is it from an actual finished episode?

fitzy45 wrote: »
    Is this trailer made of some sort of test footage, or is it from an actual finished episode?

It's an actual finished episode. We were still figuring it out and it got wayy to dark before we got around to filming. This was a €0 budget just using an iPhone to see how good we could get it to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I really don't want to sound to critical or like a asshole...but

1. I couldn't make out anything
    2. I couldn't hear anything
    3. The dust effect is taken from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    4. Why do the vampires sound like pigs? and have painted faces?
    5. Just kinda...really?

I really don't want to sound to critical or like a asshole...but

1. I couldn't make out anything
    2. I couldn't hear anything
    3. The dust effect is taken from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
    4. Why do the vampires sound like pigs? and have painted faces?
    5. Just kinda...really?

Thanks for the feedback, I agree about the first 2, it's hard to see and hear on a €0 budget with only an iPhone and no professional equipment or lighting. As RE: 3, that is a temporary sfx and 4 is for the dramatics, the demon noises will only be heard during when they feed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's all part of the learning process. You'll at least learn the important lesson that iPhones are no good for film production. :D

• Advertisement

Despite the lack of any budget, you might want to try planning your shots out for a start. There isn't a single interesting shot/angle etc in it. Don't just point and shoot, especially on an iphone. If you are learning and playing around, at least try something interesting. Creativity costs nothing.

Despite the lack of any budget, you might want to try planning your shots out for a start. There isn't a single interesting shot/angle etc in it. Don't just point and shoot, especially on an iphone. If you are learning and playing around, at least try something interesting. Creativity costs nothing.

Thanks for the feedback. The storyboard had a more artistic side to it but the lack of light killed some of the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Thanks for the feedback, I agree about the first 2, it's hard to see and hear on a €0 budget with only an iPhone and no professional equipment or lighting.

Would you not wait until you had some kind of setup worth using?

You could have the best idea/script/concept in the world but footage of this quality will achieve nothing other then give you lessons on what not to do. I suppose that in itself is a worth while lesson but just be aware when putting it up for public viewing its going to get ripped to shreds. Most people will find it too difficult to get over the awful video and audio quality to judge it on any other merits.

Splinters wrote: »

You could have the best idea/script/concept in the world but footage of this quality will achieve nothing other then give you lessons on what not to do. I suppose that in itself is a worth while lesson but just be aware when putting it up for public viewing its going to get ripped to shreds. Most people will find it too difficult to get over the awful video and audio quality to judge it on any other merits.

We are fixing the audio quality as we speak. Next week were scheduled to re voice the video. In addition we still have to film other scenes for the episode which will be of a higher quality.

We'd love to have the professional equipment to make a proper production. What we looked at brought our budget in the €2500 range where it costs €1375 for a Canon 7D, €300 for Audio, €250 for Lighting and then rest for Power generators etc however as a Student Production, we can't stretch it this far. However we are fixing audio by a pro-bono company.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

So then by all means shoot it however you can, but just be sure to have a thick skin about any feedback, because very few people will be able to see past the low standard of footage/audio.

Im not saying dont do any work unless its high quality, everybody has to start somewhere. I certainly have some very questionable work in a number of areas I work in from when I first started, but I wouldnt be putting it online any time soon. Its not very high standard, but it served a purpose of teaching me a number of lessons I use in what I do today.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. By the way filming additional scenes at a noticably different quality really wont do it any favours. Why not just rent the gear you need and do your project justice?

• Advertisement

Splinters wrote: »
    Ah no, learning the hard way is always best I think.
    We are fixing the audio quality as we speak. Next week were scheduled to re voice the video.
    Dubbed voices, this could wander into the realm of so bad, it's good. :pac:
    We'd love to have the professional equipment to make a proper production. What we looked at brought our budget in the €2500 range where it costs €1375 for a Canon 7D,
    A Canon 7D is a pro level photo camera that does video as well. It's not exactly designed for film work even though it can produce excellent results, there's no need to go there straight away.

There are other very capable camcorders much cheaper that would be more than suitable for your needs, budget and skills.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Ah no, learning the hard way is always best I think.

Dubbed voices, this could wander into the realm of so bad, it's good. :pac:

A Canon 7D is a pro level photo camera that does video as well. It's not exactly designed for film work even though it can produce excellent results, there's no need to go there straight away.

There are other very capable camcorders much cheaper that would be more than suitable for your needs, budget and skills.

Can you suggest some cameras that take external mic input with 3.5mm. Also our sound engineer will be helping with the voice overs so that they fix in properly. But again, thanks for the feedback.

Can you suggest some cameras that take external mic input with 3.5mm.
    You should probably be aiming for something that can take XLR inputs for sound, that's what the pros use, or at least something that has an adapter that can be put in the shoe, like my camera. I think just about any camera will take a 3.5 jack.

I couldn't tell you what the best camera is at the moment, usually websites do top ten reviews of current hardware. You're looking for something that will give you manual controls, it would be nice if it could take filters and lens but that's hard to find. Others could probably give you better advice of what to look for.

Tripods and the like are important too, there's some nice guides if you search for home made steadycam.

I agree with everyone regarding the technical issues. However, the acting is also a big issue. There seems to be one single dialogue line that is partially audible, yet it has to be the worst most irritating attempt at acting I've seen in a long time. Get rid of that actor for a start, especially if he is meant to be the lead. This production doesn't seem to have any redeeming features. Detailing in advance that it has no budget is not an excuse, and always makes people assume the worst. There have been wonderful features shot for virtually no money, but the difference is that they had people making them who are knowledgable, educated and creative in their field. I suggest you wait until you are experienced and funded before sharing work of this caliber with the public. It only means you will have tarnished your reputation before you have made it to a good standard of your abilities. When you are experienced in a few years from now, you will look back and regret sharing this online.

Also, the sound effect every time a stake is moved or punch/kick is thrown is pretty dated stuff.

We are researching Cameras and we may be acquiring a Canon 600D. Research shows besides the lack of a headphone jack for audio monitoring, Video quality is the same as the 7D plus half the price. We are then investing in Rode Audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

If your serious about this spend the money now, make it back later, your not going to make decent stuff with crap equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

If your serious about this spend the money now, make it back later, your not going to make decent stuff with crap equipment.

Well, maybe they should just concentrate on producing interesting material.

And work with what they have.

Why not do an entire zombie holocaust movie on I-phone.

You know......Young people giving a testament to the last few days of craziness. How everything has broken down, and no one knows what's happening. They're holed up in their flat, giving an i-phone video diary. There's just strangeness on the streets without, their phones aren't working, the internet isn't working, government assurances to remain calm on the radio eventually go dead - and there's just static, on every station. Nothing but fuzz on the television.

The power fails.

The lights go out..............And they're all alone ....And no one can save them

They're food is running out....They're scared....They start fighting amongst each other. Taking their terror out on each other - it's lord of the flies.

And then........

And then there's bang on the door..........there's something not quite right about it...it's not quite human...........they huss into terrified silence...but the bang gets louder, and louder, and louder,.....it's coming through the door....through the door.

And the scariest thing is not seeing what that thing is. Thumping, louder faster, wood chips breaking.

Jumbled disjointed I-phone footage.

Screaming, Panic.......it's getting louder and louder ...nothing can stop it.

And..........Then

Ye, but that's not the idea he has krd. Plus, you want the lights go out and film it with an iphone? That would be dreadful visually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Ye, but that's not the idea he has krd.

Well, if he wants to shoot Buffy the Vampire slayer, he'll need a little more than an i-phone.
    Plus, you want the lights go out and film it with an iphone? That would be dreadful visually.

No....Visually, in film, it's as important what you don't see, as what you see.

And they could light some candles. A little night vision.

Of course you'd record the sound with mics, and then dub deeper bassier sounds.

They hear boots mount the stairs - it's getting closer - and maybe this happens for days. But on the final day, it stops. It stops outside their door. They hush each other into silence and huddle, and shake.

Then the banging starts - slow inhuman and rhythmic.

Panic mounts - the girls squeak at each other, one starts hyperventilating.

One of the girls finally shouts "Who's there..."

And the thumping stops.

There is a silence....apart from the group reducing their panicked breathing noises to match the silence...and eventually they do.

There is a moment of calm and hope ........anticipating a reply.

Silence.........

In the silence though........there is no reply.

Nothing.

And then the banging on the door starts again.....Low bassy thumps...louder heavier -mocking them----it's coming. Wood chips are breaking - no monster noises or monster moans. Just a thumping.

The girls are screaming...

The door breaks open..........the kids are paralysed into silence - apart from one raspy hyperventilating girl...the only thing you hear.....And then it cuts, Lewton Bus, style to the credits.

You never see the monster, and you never find out what happens.

And you don't need a Buffy budget to do it either.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The fact I have you believing it's going to be like Buffy means were doing our job well. Wait till the 26th. :) That wasn't all we filmed. It's going to be wayy different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

krd wrote: »
    The door breaks open..........the kids are paralysed into silence - apart from one raspy hyperventilating girl...the only thing you hear.....And then it cuts, Lewton Bus, style to the credits.

Not to be pedantic (ok - to be totally pedantic) but for it to be a Lewton Bus
    it would have to be so something innocuous that turns up when they think it's going to be something horrible.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. The fact I have you believing it's going to be like Buffy means were doing our job well.

I think it's more the name of the series that has people thinking that really.

I suggest you wait until you are experienced and funded before sharing work of this caliber with the public. It only means you will have tarnished your reputation before you have made it to a good standard of your abilities. When you are experienced in a few years from now, you will look back and regret sharing this online.
    I don't think that's very fair. The only way he can gain experience is to make the film and put it out there for critique. I don't think anyone starting out is expected to fail and their reputation can't be built without failure.

I think the OP has done the right thing, that is actually having a go. Of course it's going to be terrible, everyones first few attempts are terrible but that's how you learn.
    Also, the sound effect every time a stake is moved or punch/kick is thrown is pretty dated stuff.
    It may be dated but even the big budget films still do it, people expect those sounds. It can be a delicate balance making it sound right but the sound effects used in today's films are still as tacky as they were back in the 80s.

Well we did, let us know what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey not bad!! i know there's lots of places you can improve!! but wayyy better than the first one!! and of course you know where you can improve. was a bit lost with the stickies, but i'm a bit drunk! so, well ya know!

well done

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    hey not bad!! i know there's lots of places you can improve!! but wayyy better than the first one!! and of course you know where you can improve. was a bit lost with the stickies, but i'm a bit drunk! so, well ya know!

well done

:)

Haha, thanks! Watch it tomorrow when your Sober and have another crack. :D

Heads up, were accuring equipment now which next webisodes will be filmed on. We decided on:

The Canon EOS 600D / T3i. The video quality is a ringer to the 7D so there's no point paying more.

Rode Video Mic Pro (Mono). This is because stereo is apparently bad for recording dialogue and we usually add all other sound effects, noises and background ambiance + music in post production. We will have a stereo mic on hand if it calls for it. We will also have a wind shield.

Pro 160-LED Video Camera Light - We have found a large LED light (gekko) that can do it but it will run around 2300 pounds and we definitely don't have that budget.

CowboyStudio Dual Mount Bracket - To avoid noises from the camera lens or if the operator needs to zoom or change focus.

We'll also consider getting a boom pole but when the situation calls for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

We'll also consider getting a boom pole but when the situation calls for it.

I can barely think of any set up that couldn't benefit from a boom pole. You should definitely get one.

Well we did, let us know what you think?

Your certainly improving on the first video you showed us. I'll expect a big jump in production once you get the new kit. How are you doing the editing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Vast improvement, well done! Keep learning and experimenting.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your certainly improving on the first video you showed us. I'll expect a big jump in production once you get the new kit. How are you doing the editing?

Thanks. Can't wait for proper equipment and we plan that the next episodes will be in day light as we move away from the vampire elements for around the next 2 episodes.
    (Will still have vampire action sequences, but kind of how every episode of Buffy opens with her fighting them but the rest of the episode could be something else)

We edit in FCP-X and After effects. A lot of the camera was motion tracked especially in the bedroom scenes and then some was shot on a tripod then in editing add a shaking filter to give it a more fluid look.

Trojan wrote: »
    Vast improvement, well done! Keep learning and experimenting.

Thanks, we are continuing to experiment. Especially doing the fight scenes and where. We were going to film at day and then post production edit to make it look like night time but we will test these video LED lights out and see. I noticed in the latest episode of Homeland they had Carrie run around a field in pitch black barely seeing her so who knows. Maybe seeing nothing is the new black :D #pun

Advertisement