Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

• 07-10-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

FAI-crest-for-news-640x250.jpg

200px-DFBEagle.svg.png

160px-WC-2014-Brasil.svg.png
    Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
    Germany 2 2 0 0 5 1 +4 6
    Sweden 1 1 0 0 2 0 +2 3
    Republic of Ireland 1 1 0 0 2 1 +1 3
    Austria 1 0 0 1 1 2 −1 0
    Kazakhstan 2 0 0 2 1 4 −3 0
    Faroe Islands 1 0 0 1 0 3 −3 0
    Republic of Ireland squad:
    Kieren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Millwall), Darren Randolph (Motherwell)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Sean St Ledger (Leicester), Darren O’Dea (Toronto), Stephen Ward (Wolves), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Paul McShane (Hull)
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke), James McCarthy (Wigan), Keith Andrews (Bolton), David Meyler (Sunderland), Keith Fahey (Birmingham), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Andy Keogh (Millwall), James McClean (Sunderland), Robbie Brady (Manchester United)
    Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (West Brom), Simon Cox (Nottingham Forest), Jon Walters (Stoke)
    Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hanover 96), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Borussia Moenchengladbach)

Defenders: Holger Badstuber (Bayern Munich), Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Benedikt Hoewedes (Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Mario Goetze (Borussia Dortmund), Ilkay Gundogan (Borussia Dortmund), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Thomas Mueller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Real Madrid), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schuerrle (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich)

Probable Starting XI:

Westwood

O'Shea - O'Dea - McShane - Ward

McGeady - Whelan - McCarthy - Keogh

Keane - Walters

Perhaps Kelly to right back and O'Shea in the centre where he usually plays for Sunderland, partnering O'Dea either. A decent chance Keith Andrews will start instead of James McCarthy because Trap likes his experienced players that he can trust. Plus an outside chance of Simon Cox, Robbie Brady or James McClean starting, but Trap has bigged up Keogh in the media and heavily hinted last month that he will start against Germany.

Richard Dunne and Kevin Doyle ruled out through injury. Sean St Ledger pulled a hamstring today and judging by various reports it sounds very unlikely that he will play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This is going to be ugly :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

OP is a Troll : Reported.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Isn't Duff back for his official 100th cap match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    This is going to be ugly :(.

Drew against Germany under Stan prior to them getting to the Euro 2008 final and they only got to the semi finals last time round. Any other straws we can wildly grasp at? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Come on now, McShane won't be playing, let alone playing at centre-back. That would be just asking for trouble. Can't see Keogh starting either. More chance of Cox being put in there, though I'd prefer McClean. Depends if the latter is still in the bad books.

Is Frau Merkel coming to this one? If not we might have a chance. She's a good luck charm for them. isn't she?

• Advertisement

OP is a Troll : Reported.:o

There ya go.
    FAIVerified
    @FAIreland
    Sean St Ledger unlikely to play in Germany match but will report on Mon. James Mc Clean had tight groin after his match. Scan at club on Mon

Andy Keogh, Trapattoni suggested, may start against Germany and the manager has confirmed that he is ahead of McClean when he considers his options. Trapattoni values Keogh's intelligence and his industry. If Simon Cox doesn't start against Germany -- and he shouldn't -- Keogh will be ahead of McClean and Robbie Brady.

Keogh, Trap says, absorbs information quickly, comparing him with Brady. "For example, we make two or three exercise with Brady. He is enough young, in training, he make very well the movement without the ball, on the pitch a little bit less. Keogh the first time when you come in, you clarify with him . . ." and Trap clicks his fingers to indicate he understands immediately. "He is clever, he is technical and he smell the goal also."

I'd like to see Coleman, Wilson and Long start but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Going up to this game with a few of the buddies so hoping for a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My first Ireland game to attend since the Euro's.

A draw would be nice please.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

cant see us getting anything from this, we are going to be doing alot of hoofing in this game and inviting the germans on to us, 2-0 to the germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Reading those squads makes me want to cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Come on now, McShane won't be playing, let alone playing at centre-back. That would be just asking for trouble. Can't see Keogh starting either. More chance of Cox being put in there, though I'd prefer McClean. Depends if the latter is still in the bad books.

Is Frau Merkel coming to this one? If not we might have a chance. She's a good luck charm for them. isn't she?

Doubt it.She will be going to Greece during the week.Que more rioting in Athens when she arrives.You heard it hear first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This is going to get ugly... really, really ugly. I'd say the Germans will play at a canter and will still win by at least 2 or 3 goals.

I would nearly always try to accentuate the positive... but godammit, I'm struggling really badly to see anything positive here. Heading up to the game, so I'm hoping it's not too bad. But can't see any kind of a positive result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I just cannot look at that World Cup Logo without seeing Captain Picard facepalming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland are 8/1 in exchanges for this. Its longest we been ever in my lifetime anyway.

Going to it, but not too confident.

2-0 Germany.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Are their tickets left?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

We always raise our game against the big boys but I can see the German's tearing us apart at times, a win would be a miracle, a draw would be a brilliant result and if we keep it to one or two it would be a good performance .... 2-0 I'd reckon... but it could be an embarrassment, if recent performances are replicated.

Are their tickets left?

Ticketmaster quoted me €100 a ticket, surely they cant be that expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

They will destroy us.

On a side note, are any of that Ireland squad playing in European competition this year? Doesn't look like it.

dan1895 wrote: »
    They will destroy us.

On a side note, are any of that Ireland squad playing in European competition this year? Doesn't look like it.

McGeady in the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

XI:[/B]

Westwood

O'Shea - O'Dea - McShane - Ward

McGeady - Whelan - McCarthy - Keogh

Keane - Walters

That's depessing just to look at.

I don't think Germany will 'destroy' us, but I be honestly amazed if we got even a draw out of the game. I'd imagine Germany will win 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

p.oconnor wrote: »
    We always raise our game against the big boys .

We all thought that. But look at the euros, we got destroyed in every game.. Last campaign we struggled against russia twice. Didnt raise our game at all.

The last time we did was the qualifiers 2010, where in paris, and also Italy home and away, we did lift it and punched above our weight...
    But I think that time has passed. We will struggle. Lets hope for 0-0 draw against Germany. Or some pride in losing.

kitakyushu wrote: »

I don't think Germany will 'destroy' us, but I be honestly amazed if we got even a draw out of the game. I'd imagine Germany will win 2-0.

You can actually spell the word 'massacred' from the back 4 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Going to get hopped off. Especially with McShane, Ward and Keogh starting.

I thought Trap said he was going to freshen things up after the Euro's? This don't look fresh at all. It stinks. Saying Keogh is ahead of McClean in the pecking order is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

p.oconnor wrote: »
    Ticketmaster quoted me €100 a ticket, surely they cant be that expensive??

They are the premium tickets and I believe that's all that's left. Reckon there will be a lot of German fans at this one also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

3-0 Germany. They will piss all over us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

kitakyushu wrote: »

Its infuriating considering he has better options that are not even in the squad.

I can see a Spain type thumping in this one, 4-0 could very well happen. Even the worst of teams in world football don't give the ball away at will like this Irish side do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this will be the beginning of the end for Trap. Even if we perform at out absolute best we'll need to be lucky to scrap a 0-0. This will be the last big Aviva crowd too I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

If I buy a season ticket I'll still get a ticket for this, non premium?

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Reckon there will be a lot of German fans at this one also.

Over checking out their investment ....:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Can't watch this as I'm working. Delighted! We're gonna get hammered.

Expect our supreme manager to not start his best right back, therefore forcing his only decent centre back to right back. Hes also likely to start a poor centre forward on the wing for no real reason. He'll play two defensive midfielders but leave them too high up the pitch, therefore allowing space between them and the defence, which Germany will exploit, a lot.

**** off Trappatoni. **** off FAI squandering massive wages on a clown like him and giving so little in prize money to our national league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Think this will be the beginning of the end for Trap. Even if we perform at out absolute best we'll need to be lucky to scrap a 0-0. This will be the last big Aviva crowd too I reckon.
    Considering the team that Trap will pick we'd be lucky to scrape a 0-3 loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If I buy a season ticket I'll still get a ticket for this, non premium?

Think only ones left are for people to renew, so cant be sold just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

0-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This should be X rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

I genuinely believe this will be a slaughter. Loss of 0-5 or more. High time Trapatoni fecked off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

If we (as soon as we) go a goal down to Germany, I can just see an implosion of the Irish team.

Something that would rarely happen in years gone by, but unlike a year ago, the lack of self belief and team spirit will be our undoing. It's obvious in recent matches that something has changed fundamentally in the Irish dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Whelan's gone off injured in Liverpool Stoke game. If he's out Trap will probably bring Lee Carsley into starting 11...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Nah, he'll bring Green back.

Green returned to our 18 yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

dont think if trap or any coach have much to choose from as in players specially when we have no leaders in field , even if ireland where playing better, we wouldn't beat Germany , take a look ant the players we have, why do we still have keane there, his useless unless the ball dropped to his feet , we need a better pick of players and a leader on the field which we haven't had in long long time
    being relistic, we be lucky if we only beaten 2-0 to germany , if better result be down to luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

dont think if trap or any coach have much to choose from as in players specially when we have no leaders in field , even if ireland where playing better, we wouldn't beat Germany , take a look ant the players we have, why do we still have keane there, his useless unless the ball dropped to his feet , we need a better pick of players and a leader on the field which we haven't had in long long time
    being relistic, we be lucky if we only beaten 2-0 to germany , if better result be down to luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hoping we kick them off the pitch and sneak an undeserved win. One time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

so its luck then
    be a miracle if we see a draw, looking at players we have, can't see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Trap's management has sucked whatever enthusiasm I had for the Irish team long ago.

Same old failing will be exposed.

Ireland 0-3 Germany

Fancy a sneaky €5 on a draw.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ireland 1-0

n4fe38fc36003a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

fry.PNG?1307468855qm_4.gif

Trollface picture isnt BIG enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

My Ireland cherry getting popped...

my missus kommt auf Deutschland, so she's flying over and were going to watch Ireland get decimated, and cost me a beer and breakfast in bed...

craic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hoping we kick them off the pitch and sneak an undeserved win. One time!

even the most ambitious of us LFC fans can't possibly hold any hope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Flood midfield is our only hope, play a 4-6-0 and hope for a 0-0. It will probably be a proper hammering though. Not even Richard Dunne to fall back on. The beginning of the end for Trap, out before Easter when we have no chance of qualifying, new manager plays best players at his disposable and bloods some youth. Everyone's a winner!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement