Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

delad wrote: »
    i still can't believe he hasn't bothered to learn english

In fairness to him, the older you get, the harder it is to learn a new language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'll miss manuela.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Great interview from Trap. Honest and on the money. Cut through Tony O'Donoghue's wailing, crying bull.

We were outclassed. Not his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ha, first time showing the second half goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We really need Denis O'Brien to put the brakes on and ask the question 'Why am i part funding a manager who is tactically obsolete and utterly deficient and losing 6-1 at home?'

Yeah, but how happy is he going to be about paying off that contract to fire him?

About the best hope we have is Blackburn coming in and buying him out.

• Advertisement

Great interview from Trap. Honest and on the money. Cut through Tony O'Donoghue's wailing, crying bull.

But his fault Ireland play the way they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

keith16 wrote: »
    In fairness to him, the older you get, the harder it is to learn a new language.
    for 1.4 million a year id learn a new language and wean myself onto cock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

we now need-a to tink about de pharaoh
    FMCuY.jpg

beginning to get tired of brady trying to vindicate trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'll miss manuela.
    Yeah - so will I. She's s top bird but in an understated kind of way. Whoever comes in next might need some advisor or something...?

I fear we'll see her around in her current position for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

No he has a lot of the blame to take aswell as the players, they bet Faroe Islands 3-0 at home and did that to us here. We were awful and were always gonna lose but we are much better then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

delad wrote: »
    i still can't believe he hasn't bothered to learn english

He was in Germany for a good while and did not bother to learn German either. Just to mention it ;)

About time we let Roy Keane have a go, at least the players wouldn't give up

I don't think he'd be asking for a million quid a year either

Given his abysmal record in management i cannot understand any campaign for him to get a job. We're not bad enough. He got loads to spend at Sunderland and failed. Failed at Ipswich too. Why people are convinced Roy Keane is a good manager is based on his record as a player and his leadership on the field is beyond me.
    He has no man management skills whatsoever and an absymal track record. Bad as Trap is id keep him before id hire Keane

for 1.4 million a year id learn a new language and wean myself onto cock

In fairness to him, he does suck a lot of cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm not too upset with the loss. Germany are top class. We don't have the players to compete. The game just gave Eamonn Dunphy a chance to vent.

Renn wrote: »
    But his fault Ireland play the way they do.

If getting to two play-offs in a row is faulty that's fair enough.
    No he has a lot of the blame to take aswell as the players, they bet Faroe Islands 3-0 at home and did that to us here. We were awful and were always gonna lose but we are much better then that.

So it's his fault O'Dea ballsed up his tackle and conceded a peno that knocked the stuffing out of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just woke up and saw the score, is he gone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Xavi6 wrote: »

Go back to sleep. It's just a bad dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

he has a lot of free time to learn, being an international manager who doesn't go to watch his players club games means that he only works about 10 days a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Not his fault we were outclassed. Not able to motivate his players - his fault. Selecting players out of position - his fault.

Ultimately the performance of the Irish team is just as much his fault as it was because of the quality of the opposition. We were thrashed 6-1 at home ffs. The Faroe Islands put up a better fight. The Austrians put up a better fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Looks like my decision to drink heavily last night and skip watching the match this morning was the smart decision. Still, that's a very bad result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

pffft... wasn't expecting anything else to be honest, speaking with my Da this morning I called 6-0. Didn't expect Ireland to be that abject, Long looked like he just wanted to break someone up. Squad is broken, nothing breaks a squad quicker then having someone on the bench, watching someone worse go on in front of them, or not getting a fair crack at it, it's what made me quit football and its just so blatantly obvious.

There is a very clear absence of fight that was pointed enough about tonight. But when you look at the selection and the way we play the game, its sickening.

McGeady did nothing but try launch the ball, and loose it.
    Westwood did nothing but hoof it.
    Ward did the only thing he knows, hoof.

Granted Walters put in a hard graft, I dont see what the point was, since no one linked up, or attempted to link up once.
    Why bother playing McCarthy, a ball playing midfielder, when you are going to launch it long all the time?

I dont get as flared up with losses, fully expected a German convincing win, just expected a bit more effort. But more so because simply from day one I never liked the appointment and I guess I'm just always in "I told you so mode".

And lets be real here, Zlatan will watch this, and be licking his lips.

A pumped up, bothered Zlatan, is much worse then Klose....much..much..worse

And I still get a good laugh from the Trap faithful....if you want to accept poor quality football, inept tactics and piss poor man management good luck, you get the leaders you deserve, that is an AGE old saying that simply put is never wrong. If you want to accept less then average for the national team, be my guest.

I personally expect more, expect modern and expect expression.

There is a BLATANTLY obvious trend in football in the last five years, which all of you will have seen week in week out watching the EPL< which most posters here do. Long gone are the teams that sit back and hope to nick a goal, and soak up pressure. Gone, because it doesnt work, it simply will not work, EVER>

What has become the most blatantly obvious pattern is developing a possesion based play ( because, you cant get hurt if you have the ball) and try to score goals. Defenses are not as solid and rigid, they are deploying more wingbacks and higher lines, there is space to be exploited. The last team that failed to cop on was Bolton, and look at them now.

Didn't expect to qualify, expected a thumping tonight, but have to say, fully expecting a draw or loss on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

carlop wrote: »
    That's the spirit!

That was a painful, painful 90 minutes but I'm not going to stop supporting the team, even though I expect Tuesday to be absolute misery.

By all means you're free to stop supporting the national team, but I get the impression that you were firmly on the bandwagon during the Euros, and will be again the next time we qualify or get to the playoffs.

Without going through the thread, I'll hazard a guess you were also one of the geniuses calling for McClean to be brought on.

I have always supported any Irish team since I was a kid, however what I actually was getting at was not to get your hopes up, I cannot see us qualifying but maybe things could only get better rather than worse surely. I don't think any player coming on would have made a difference, there is very little skill, commitment, intelligence, pride and tactical awareness in both the team and the Management!

All the early betting on Manuela stepping in as care taker until we can get Stan back.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

I can't believe they are still talking about the match, it ended about 2 hours ago, they really don't need to discuss it that much

You don't have to tell me what fixtures Ireland have played in the past - I know all that. But what you don't seem to notice is the style of play, which is why Ireland are where they are.

They played the same way in the qualifying campaign as they did tonight. It's abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

So it's his fault O'Dea ballsed up his tackle and conceded a peno that knocked the stuffing out of us?

No but it's his fault for starting o Dea and even having him in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Sweden will beat us probably by a couple of goals. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised in the next couple of matches though, at least seven changes are necessary. :D

All the early betting on Manuela stepping in as care taker until we can get Stan back.

To be fair, with her we'd have a decent pair up front

Not his fault we were outclassed. Not able to motivate his players - his fault. Selecting players out of position - his fault.

Ultimately the performance of the Irish team is just as much his fault as it was because of the quality of the opposition. We were thrashed 6-1 at home ffs. The Faroe Islands put up a better fight. The Austrians put up a better fight.

Did you not think the players were motivated at the start of the game? I didn't see too many posts bemoaning the commitment before the onslaught came.

We were thrashed and it is not his fault but the fault of the players who made individual mistakes. I'm not going to berate them though as they were simply outclassed.

The idea of blaming the manager for that performance is just lazy. The tactics and team selection were fine. We were just second best in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Putting aside the scoreline - this has brought back the memories of the Euros. Shocking stuff. It is almost certainly a tactical deficiency. The way the players allowed Germany so much possession without challenges was crazy.

We, Ireland have never had a brilliant side but teams used to fear playing us, knowing that we were tough and would never give an inch. Now, with these containment tactics, we are pushovers.

Crazy selection decisions again. Ignoring the talent who are fit and not in the squad, some of the team selections in terms of form and positional deployment were absolutely bizarre.

Brady has no experience but is absolutely lethal from dead ball situations, which incidentally, seems to be where we are most potent. Hint hint.

Walters, I salute you. Admirable performance and pure dedication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

If we are not going to qualify, we could at least shake things up. Try different formations, different tactics. Trapp might go and say things about sticking with winning teams/formations/tactics but those things aren't winning anymore. Bloody some new players, even if they do lose, they will at least get valuable experience.

I suspect he has lost the Irish squad and they are just not prepared to fight for it anymore though.

Renn wrote: »
    You don't have to tell me what fixtures Ireland have played in the past - I know all that. But what you don't seem to notice is the style of play, which is why Ireland are where they are.

They played the same way in the qualifying campaign as they did tonight. It's abysmal.

I don't care how they play as long as they get results. We don't have the players to play like Germany and do well. The idea that Houlihan or whoever the latest flavour of the month is would have made that result any better is ludicrous.

Are you fúcking joking me? He has lost the dressing room. He has the team in a tactical strait jacket. He doesnt go to 1 premier league game. He doesn't understand the language. He continually falls out with players and good ones at that. We lost 6-1 tonight. Our worst home defeat since 1931!
    He is there for the money and nothing else. His last big pay day. TOD is right to put the heat on him. Its his job to do so.

In true Irish fashion we are 'grateful' to have an experienced man from a top footballing country in a top sporting job on our little island. Our mentality means we blame ourselves first and cant admit we have thrown money away on this one. Traps methods were extinct 2 decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The idea of blaming the manager for that performance is just lazy. The tactics and team selection were fine. We were just second best in every way.

Let me guess.

OJ was innocent as well.:rolleyes:

It didn't matter a jot about the change in formation. Same gameplan. Lob it over our midfield and up to the poor ****er up front.

Did you not think the players were motivated at the start of the game? I didn't see too many posts bemoaning the commitment before the onslaught came.

We were thrashed and it is not his fault but the fault of the players who made individual mistakes. I'm not going to berate them though as they were simply outclassed.

So a managers job of motivating players stops once the refs blows the whistle to start the game does it? Get a grip will you.

Who has selected these players you mentioned that have made individual mistakes time and again tonight? Tactics and selection just fine?????? Germany never came out of second gear. Even before they scored they enjoyed wholesale possession and if they could have been arsed would have scored well before the first.

Fine, you support Trap but at least take off those tinted shades and stop embarrassing yourself with some of your claims of defence.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hearing Lloyd's thoughts after this one

Are you fúcking joking me? He has lost the dressing room. He has the team in a tactical strait jacket. He doesnt go to 1 premier league game. He doesn't understand the language. He continually falls out with players and good ones at that. We lost 6-1 tonight. Our worst home defeat since 1931!
    He is there for the money and nothing else. His last big pay day. TOD is right to put the heat on him. Its his job to do so.

In true Irish fashion we are 'grateful' to have an experienced man from a top footballing country in a top sporting job on our little island. Our mentality means we blame ourselves first and cant admit we have thrown money away on this one. Traps methods were extinct 2 decades ago.

He hasn't lost the dressing room. Look at O'Shea's fantastic interview. He admitted the players were at fault. The rest of your post is Dunphy-style waffle. He does go to games. He probably speaks more languages than most of us around here. He has used tactics that ended our ten year drought from major finals and which have secured two play-off spots in a row. etc

The true Irish fashion is this country being media-led lemmings and buying into the vitriolic endeavour to get a decent, well qualified man sacked in favour of a guy the media previously hounded out of the job.

Fickle, fickle, fickle fans.

It should be harder to get a job over an international team in that case. the sickening thing is that we are grateful for this man in alot of quarters. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Putting aside the scoreline - this has brought back the memories of the Euros. Shocking stuff. It is almost certainly a tactical deficiency. The way the players allowed Germany so much possession without challenges was crazy.

We, Ireland have never had a brilliant side but teams used to fear playing us, knowing that we were tough and would never give an inch. Now, with these containment tactics, we are pushovers.

Crazy selection decisions again. Ignoring the talent who are fit and not in the squad, some of the team selections in terms of form and positional deployment were absolutely bizarre.

Brady has no experience but is absolutely lethal from dead ball situations, which incidentally, seems to be where we are most potent. Hint hint.

Walters, I salute you. Admirable performance and pure dedication.

Nothing would have changed that game tonight. Do you think Trap's tactic was just to give Germany the ball and not try to get it back? It was men against boys. Men against boys.

The idea of blaming the manager for that performance is just lazy. The tactics and team selection were fine.

Well as I said in my post, you get the leaders that you deserve.

And if this is a "general" consensus then we deserve a clueless manager.

In bullet point form
    • Walters up front on his own has no no pace to run into space, where balls where hit
    • Walters has good ball retention, Cox,McGeady and Fahey completely inept at linking, they literally cant do it
    • Two of the biggest centre halves in Europe, comfortable in the air, we lob balls in the air
    • Mertasaker proven to be weak turning and chasing, yet we played to his strength
    • Nobody got near Ozil all night, he pulled the string, Andrews was having a walk in the park
    • No point playing McCarthy with hoof tactics, needed a workhorse to man mark Ozil
    • No communication across the back four, like theyve never played against a fluid frontline,
    • Rues and Muller drifting and moving all night, you'd swear our lads had never played football, couldnt even mark them
    • If your happy with long balls to an isolated front man, enjoy getting thumped.

My father sat during that match calling all the right calls, seeing everything blatantly obvious, and has never played football in his life bar some schoolboy coaching.

It was only an embarassment if you didnt expect it, and I dont understand how anyone didnt expect that in all honesty : /

• Advertisement

So a managers job of motivating players stops once the refs blows the whistle to start the game does it? Get a grip will you.

Who has selected these players you mentioned that have made individual mistakes time and again tonight? Tactics and selection just fine?????? Germany never came out of second gear. Even before they scored they enjoyed wholesale possession and if they could have been arsed would have scored well before the first.

Fine, you support Trap but at least take off those tinted shades and stop embarrassing yourself with some of your claims of defence.

What was he supposed to do about O'Dea's moment of lunacy?

The players he selected had not let him down before. How many mistakes did O'Dea make in a green jersey before tonight? Not many.

The embarrassment is armchair tacticians who don't seem to understand that sometimes a loss is not the fault of the manager. We were playing Germany ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I don't mind losing, heck I knew we would. However, when you are losing 3-0 just stop giving the ball away. Don't lump the ball up the field when you know it keeps coming back.

Block the ball, or at least hassle.

Don't play guys that aren't good enough (o'dea) or guys that can't play a position (cox).

Know who your best eleven are and make suitable choices (holohan, pilkington, Gibson, Clark etc) and leave the rubbish away unless your squad is injury plauged.

Have a plan B.

Finally, try and get the fans back. Play football they like, how that your listening to them by changing styles and the team and finally apologise to all those poor people and families that payed a huge amount of money to watch that rubbish. I fully believe the FAI should refund some of the money back to the fans.

He hasn't lost the dressing room. Look at O'Shea's fantastic interview. He admitted the players were at fault. The rest of your post is Dunphy-style waffle. He does go to games. He probably speaks more languages than most of us around here. He has used tactics that ended our ten year drought from major finals and which have secured two play-off spots in a row. etc

The true Irish fashion is this country being media-led lemmings and buying into the vitriolic endeavour to get a decent, well qualified man sacked in favour of a guy the media previously hounded out of the job.

The only thing fickle is people accepting this rubbish.

Of course he has lost a portion of the players, dont be daft.

All long wanted to do was hack someone, he wasnt happy being left out, and he shouldn't.

Cox and Keogh is clear favourtism for two distinctly less then average players, unable to forge a career for themselves at any club they play for.

As someone who has experienced favouritism in Irish national squads, having to sit and watch someone abjectly worse then me play every game, I can confirm for you, this quickly breaks a squad. Players arnt stupid, they start wavering at poor selections as much as fans and commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I might be wrong here but I am treating any of the trap sympathisers like trolls.

I'm sorry but as the lads were saying, this was coming for a long long time
    And everyone but trap saw it. He hid behind good results from poor performances ( the 2 Russia games, Kazakhstan, Armenia etc) and now finally it has come to haunt us. I am an Ireland fan but this was gutless tonight and the book stops with him.

It is a horrible state of affairs that the future of Irish football is held ransom by a massive payoff and an idiotic decision to extend his contract by another 2 years. We are stuck with him and there is nothing we can do about it.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well as I said in my post, you get the leaders that you deserve.

And if this is a "general" consensus then we deserve a clueless manager.

In bullet point form
    • Walters up front on his own has no no pace to run into space, where balls where hit
    • Walters has good ball retention, Cox,McGeady and Fahey completely inept at linking, they literally cant do it
    • Two of the biggest centre halves in Europe, comfortable in the air, we lob balls in the air
    • Mertasaker proven to be weak turning and chasing, yet we played to his strength
    • Nobody got near Ozil all night, he pulled the string, Andrews was having a walk in the park
    • No point playing McCarthy with hoof tactics, needed a workhorse to man mark Ozil
    • No communication across the back four, like theyve never played against a fluid frontline,
    • Rues and Muller drifting and moving all night, you'd swear our lads had never played football, couldnt even mark them
    • If your happy with long balls to an isolated front man, enjoy getting thumped.

My father sat during that match calling all the right calls, seeing everything blatantly obvious, and has never played football in his life bar some schoolboy coaching.

It was only an embarassment if you didnt expect it, and I dont understand how anyone didnt expect that in all honesty : /

A clueless manager that got us to two play-offs and our first tournament in ten years.

Tell us what you suggest should have happened instead. A lot of people on here are finding fault and not proffering alternatives. I'd love to hear how we should have played instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

we did have a lot of injuries tonight, although i did fancy Germany to win no matter who was playing for us.

the rest of the games for Ireland will be pretty interesting to see if we can get past Sweden or Austria.

I expect Sweden to lose against Germany and us to get a win.

Ha ha ha thats brilliant way to counter my argument :rolleyes: Well i can say as bad as Dunphy style waffle is at this point in time id prefer it to Brady style waffle or Trap style waffle. Wake up from your coma we lost 6-1 tonight and the players are no longer playing for your hero. If Trap is going to these games as you say then what justifies Paul Green or Paul Mcshane's inclusion so?

I dont agree with witch hunts but to be honest his reign shouldnt have came to a witch hunt. He should have been released after the Euro's and the hammerings we got. Thierry Henry's handball vindicated him in alot of ways. Had France beaten us without any ambiguity that night he may have faced a bit of pressure afterwards.

Off topic i thought Tony Kroos was top class tonight the way he conducted himself after his goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Nothing would have changed that game tonight. Do you think Trap's tactic was just to give Germany the ball and not try to get it back? It was men against boys. Men against boys.

I agree to a point. It was the stand-offishness when Germany were in possession that broke my heart. Never seen an Irish team allow so much possession. I counted four seconds of possession for one player before he shot from outside the box for the sixth goal.

Germany were pure class without never stepping on the gas. Neuer in goal is a confidence boost in itself.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The only thing fickle is people accepting this rubbish.

Of course he has lost a portion of the players, dont be daft.

All long wanted to do was hack someone, he wasnt happy being left out, and he shouldn't.

Cox and Keogh is clear favourtism for two distinctly less then average players, unable to forge a career for themselves at any club they play for.

As someone who has experienced favouritism in Irish national squads, having to sit and watch someone abjectly worse then me play every game, I can confirm for you, this quickly breaks a squad. Players arnt stupid, they start wavering at poor selections as much as fans and commentators.

I don't see what's fickle about supporting one of our greatest ever managers. It's loyalty and supporters should have more of it rather than only supporting when we get good results.

He hasn't lost the dressing room. The players were committed at the start of the game.

Cox is having a blinder at Forest so I don't know where that comment on him is coming from. He is a good player and Keogh has done well the last season too at club level. Neither have been let-downs at international level. Tonight Cox was poor yes but he was outclassed like the rest.

We can get second place in this group.

What was he supposed to do about O'Dea's moment of lunacy?

The players he selected had not let him down before. How many mistakes did O'Dea make in a green jersey before tonight? Not many.

The embarrassment is armchair tacticians who don't seem to understand that sometimes a loss is not the fault of the manager. We were playing Germany ffs.

Players never let him down before? How many mistakes has Ward made over the last campaign? Cox on the wing anyone? Lets not even mention the long ball tactic of giving possession straight back to the Germans.

So now O'Dea's mistake is the one catalyst for us getting trounced? Cope on. His tactics is all wrong. Gift Germany that amount of possession and sit in front of your back four!!!

The only embarrassment is that you are too stubborn to admit Trap is not performing in his role. Open your bloody eyes will you. Even Brady(his jail-bitch) is finding it hard to defend him anymore.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement