Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

kincsem wrote: »
    I'll sum up the thread so far.
    "Trapattoni should tell the team to play like Brazil." :rolleyes:

This imaginary notion keeps surfacing and yet we are the ones labeled delusional.....it's a strange one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Wrong.

He gets stick for becoming completely disorientated in his attempts to cover in defence as in the case of the first goal tonight. Himself and Coleman were like slow moving statues for that one.

Yeah, you're right.
    That's what the crowd were giving him stick for.
    My mistake.

Would certainly explain all the shouts around me of " McGeady, your ****in defensive work is terrible" everytime he misplaced a pass.

At the match were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

NIMAN wrote: »

Maybe, but more on the part of the coaches.

I would love to see Irish children stop playing on full size pitches with full size nets when they are Under8 or Under11, it doesn't make sense.

Countries that play proper football play small games with small nets that put the emphasis on nurturing skill, touch, thought, passing etc.

Irish and British coaches still pick players based on physicality and stamina at all levels. This is nonsense.

I think the FAI should start a new plan now and to hell with the way the Brits play the game. Go more continental. Ban playing on full size pitches. Get rid of the old guard of coaches. Embrace the modern systems. Go and watch how the Spanish and Italians and Germans and Dutch do it.

If it takes 20yrs to see the results, so be it. Cos at the minute we have no future playing this way.

That would be like asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas. I agree with you though. Scotland were respectible in the 70s , 80s, up to 98 even - look at them now. We are 2 years away from being where they are now. Whats worse is it will take us a minimum of 20 years to recover while the ex soviets and Balkans etc power ahead of us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

List of players I don't want to see in an Ireland shirt again

Stephen Ward
    Darren O Dea
    Paul McShane
    Paul Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

If I was a betting man, and i am, I would say something like:-
    Faroes 4/5
    Draw5/4
    Us 7/4
    Paddy Power prices are
    Faroe Islands 5/1; Draw 4/1; Ireland 1/3
    You might be a betting man, but are you profitable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Just back from the match.
    Pretty horrific all round.
    Disappointed at the reception for McGeady when he was subbed. Fair enough he was poor, but the reason he seems to get such stick is because he tries to make stuff happen -albeit without much success this evening. The 3 guys in the middle gave the German so much time and space it was ridiculous. They were way more at fault for the 6 goal mauling than McGeady, but he's a handy target for the crowds frustration.

Id say that was aimed at Keogh coming on to replace him,and not at McGeady.

Oh and to the people saying "we should ban kids playing full size pitches" etc.

Direct long ball works, Stoke do it well but they play football too.

Yeah, you're right.
    That's what the crowd were giving him stick for.
    My mistake.

Would certainly explain all the shouts around me of " McGeady, your ****in defensive work is terrible" everytime he misplaced a pass.

At the match were you?

I thought your problem was with the reception he got when he was subbed, not when he misplaced passes?

What was it that they were shouting when he came off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is Ireland in Landsdowne Road. We haven't been beaten by two clear goals in a home qualifier since 1995.

Those predicting a hammering are crazy. We don't get hammered in these scenarios. We absolutely have a chance imo.

You were saying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Right, where to start with this one...

Jonathan Walters, Seamus Coleman and Kieran Westwood (continued to bollock everyone even when it got to 6-0), stand up and leave the room. Nothing that is being said here concerns any of you three and you all proved you're fit to wear the jersey tonight.

The rest of the players didn't have a single bit of interest or fight in that game. The Roy Keanes, the Ronnie Whelan's and the Ray Houghtons would have looked at that game in absolute disgust. We let Germany play their game. We were afraid of Germany. Not only that, but we **** ourselves when Germany came to OUR house? Even Steve Staunton didn't allow that to happen and that was a shambolic reign. Where was the fight? Where was the passion? Trap took it away and it was all placed inside a football with some magical power, similar to when Charles Barkley and co. lost all of their talent in a basketball to the MonStars in Space Jam. That performance made me sick. As John O'Shea said, there's ways to lose a game and that most certainly was not it.

I'm left with Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward, Keith Fahey, Keith Andrews and Simon Cox. Why on earth are these men in the team? It absolutely infuriates me that they don't have to work any harder than the likes of McCarthy and Long and they get all the chances. It's baffling. Trap picked his team from day one and he had his back-ups from day one should a player get injured. Clearly, the likes of Long, McCarthy, Coleman, Clark, Wilson, McClean and Meyler don't feature in his plans and for what reason I have no idea other than the fact that he hasn't a clue what he's doing and he's just making it up as he goes along at this stage. This "we haven't the players" bull**** doesn't stick with me. We have talented (not overly, admittedly) players, but the manager doesn't seem to like talented players. Also, on what grounds does Conor Clifford deserve to be in the squad ahead of established, higher league players such as Chris McCann, Jeff Hendrick and Sean Murray?

I love my country. I punched the air when Andy Keogh scored to make it 1-6. To see that man ruining the fight and the passion that my country's football team was renowned for and made Lansdowne Road, which was a horrible thought for any side in any occasion, a walk in the park is sickening. Call me a drama queen all you lot want, but to see this happening is disgraceful and enough is enough.

I want that man out of the Ireland job and the sooner this happens the better. People say it would be ridiculous because it would be writing off the World Cup campaign. This campaign was a write-off before it even started. Get a new manager in, let him experiment in the friendlies and let him see what the best team is, although that's plainly obvious for everyone to see that it isn't the sloppy kebabs that Trap is fielding every single game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Neeson wrote: »
    That would be a nice result. It should be more like 5 or 6 nil.

Got that pretty much right. As they were saying on here earlier the anthems were shocking. Couldn't recognise the German one at all and our one sounded like something you'd hear on the Falls Road instead of Landsdowne Road.

Oh, and the match was crap as well but that was to be expected!

Paddy Power prices are
    Faroe Islands 5/1; Draw 4/1; Ireland 1/3
    You might be a betting man, but are you profitable?

Well, unlike you i didnt go on oddschecker before i posted but what i will say is that Paddy Power probably hope to make money from gullible green tinted home fan mugs prepared to take 1/3 about 7/4 chances.

I will be on Faroes and draw at those prices.

After tonight, who could back Ireland at 1/3?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

To the people saying that the FAI dont have the money to get rid of Trap,but didnt they get 10-15 million quid for qualifying for the Euros?????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Prick! wrote: »

Constantly fouling the opposition seems to work well too then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Nobody can defend Trap now. He's exactly what we needed after the Staunton era but he's taken these boys as far as he can, and this was the case right after the Euros. Giving him a new contract before the Euros was madness. He has no idea how modern football works and he's too stubborn to change. Conceding 6 at home to any team should be the last straw, but not because of the ridiculous contract he has. I think if we lose on Tuesday (which is a real possibility) he'll be pushed. And if he isn't, let the FAI suffer with half full stadiums for the rest of the campaign. Delaney out, Trap out, and whoever gets the job PLEASE PLAY SOME YOUNGER PLAYERS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

andyman wrote: »
    Right, where to start with this one...

Jonathan Walters, Seamus Coleman and Kieran Westwood (continued to bollock everyone even when it got to 6-0), stand up and leave the room. Nothing that is being said here concerns any of you three and you all proved you're fit to wear the jersey tonight.

The rest of the players didn't have a single bit of interest or fight in that game. The Roy Keanes, the Ronnie Whelan's and the Ray Houghtons would have looked at that game in absolute disgust. We let Germany play their game. We were afraid of Germany. Not only that, but we **** ourselves when Germany came to OUR house? Even Steve Staunton didn't allow that to happen and that was a shambolic reign. Where was the fight? Where was the passion? Trap took it away and it was all placed inside a football with some magical power, similar to when Charles Barkley and co. lost all of their talent in a basketball to the MonStars in Space Jam. That performance made me sick. As John O'Shea said, there's ways to lose a game and that most certainly was not it.

I'm left with Darren O'Dea, Stephen Ward, Keith Fahey, Keith Andrews and Simon Cox. Why on earth are these men in the team? It absolutely infuriates me that they don't have to work any harder than the likes of McCarthy and Long and they get all the chances. It's baffling. Trap picked his team from day one and he had his back-ups from day one should a player get injured. Clearly, the likes of Long, McCarthy, Coleman, Clark, Wilson, McClean and Meyler don't feature in his plans and for what reason I have no idea other than the fact that he hasn't a clue what he's doing and he's just making it up as he goes along at this stage. This "we haven't the players" bull**** doesn't stick with me. We have talented (not overly, admittedly) players, but the manager doesn't seem to like talented players. Also, on what grounds does Conor Clifford deserve to be in the squad ahead of established, higher league players such as Chris McCann, Jeff Hendrick and Sean Murray?

I love my country. I punched the air when Andy Keogh scored to make it 1-6. To see that man ruining the fight and the passion that my country's football team was renowned for and made Lansdowne Road, which was a horrible thought for any side in any occasion, a walk in the park is sickening. Call me a drama queen all you lot want, but to see this happening is disgraceful and enough is enough.

I want that man out of the Ireland job and the sooner this happens the better. People say it would be ridiculous because it would be writing off the World Cup campaign. This campaign was a write-off before it even started. Get a new manager in, let him experiment in the friendlies and let him see what the best team is, although that's plainly obvious for everyone to see that it isn't the sloppy kebabs that Trap is fielding every single game.

I didn't. One of the most meaningless goals in Irish football history. I agree on your points about Trap, but the superfan description isn't gonna go well on here.

Oh God, this is the infected thinking that has us, England, Scotland, Wales and NI where we are.

Stoke wont be relegated from the EPL anytime soon with their version of dinosaur ball, and we wont be far away from 2nd place in qualifying groups either.

Why cant we aim for something better - like Portugal's recent teams, or Denmark's 80s team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Well, unlike you i didnt go on oddschecker before i posted
    I did not go to oddschecker. I knew you were so far off I went straight to Paddy Power.
    If I get Ireland 1/2 somewhere I'll be interested.
    Betfair go Faroe Islands 10; Draw 6; Ireland 1.34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Nobody can defend Trap now.

There are one or two who still do but they are now the footballing equivalent of Comical Ali after the Euro 2012 performance and the first two matches of this WC campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

To the people saying that the FAI dont have the money to get rid of Trap,but didnt they get 10-15 million quid for qualifying for the Euros?????:confused:

They did indeed. So maybe we could give some of that money to the players who got us there. We were in the Euros in spite of Trap and due to some incredible individual performances and an abundance of good fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I did not go to oddschecker. I knew you were so far off I went straight to Paddy Power.

Because of course, the bookies are always right and odds-on shots always win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just back from the game there now. Noticed this in the match program:

imag0888k.jpg

The house of horrors doesn't do justice to what we saw tonight.

Allright, good luck with that 1/2, you will be needing it imho.

Seriously, as a layer I would be something like 3 on the Ireland win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Brady was always the guy who would do his best to defend the Trap.

Even tonight you could see he was disgusted and knows Trap has to go.

And getting back to the argument about Stoke which was used to contradict my idea on how we should teach youngsters to play the game, well off course there is a time and a play for direct football or the odd long ball, but it helps if you can play football as well. You don't need footballers to play that game, just athletes. Its a game based on percentages and maths, about creating chances and maybe taking one the odd time. But when you play Spain or Germany, you get found out cos they learned a long time ago how to play against physical football/hoofball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The 'get rid of [insert name here] brigade' have been freshly drafted from the EPL.

It fills air time and column inches for the media, thus saving a few jobs there at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You saw a performance worthy of what we have been seeing for a few years though, it's just a good team actually took us apart this time and not borats country which was 3 mins from happening.

Oh God, this is the infected thinking that has us, England, Scotland, Wales and NI where we are.

Stoke wont be relegated from the EPL anytime soon with their version of dinosaur ball, and we wont be far away from 2nd place in qualifying groups either.

Why cant we aim for something better - like Portugal's recent teams, or Denmark's 80s team.

Times like these you'd wish barca aren't the team they are.

Everyone should play like barca, tippy tappy.

Barca and Spain aren't common. If everyone played like them the game would die. 2 teams that don't give the ball away. I like seeing a good goal scored from a cross with a header or a good diagonal ball played behind the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Back in the day we used only lose by 2 goals.

Is that it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just drove the 130 miles home from the game. Still not sure what the hell we were watching tonigh. It was a complete horror show.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Brady was always the guy who would do his best to defend the Trap.

Even tonight you could see he was disgusted and knows Trap has to go.

And getting back to the argument about Stoke which was used to contradict my idea on how we should teach youngsters to play the game, well off course there is a time and a play for direct football or the odd long ball, but it helps if you can play football as well. You don't need footballers to play that game, just athletes. Its a game based on percentages and maths, about creating chances and maybe taking one the odd time. But when you play Spain or Germany, you get found out cos they learned a long time ago how to play against physical football/hoofball.

That piece from Brady about how he expected Trap to make changes between the play off win and the euro tournament, and how he couldnt understand why he didnt etc, was interesting. Like he was at a loss as to why no changes etc.

Liam was a heroic character on the pitch in his playing days and i will always respect his punditry. He was just at a loss tonight, like the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

anyone else dreading the Faroes game this Tuesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Just drove the 130 miles home from the game. Still not sure what the hell we were watching tonigh. It was a complete horror show.

Same as the last 4 years tbh, should be of no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's time to get into the League of Ireland lads. St Pat's at least tried to beat Hannover. We had a lot more possession than Ireland had against Germany. We made more of an effort!!

Ireland's lack of passion and fight tonight was a disgrace!

Times like these you'd wish barca aren't the team they are.

Everyone should play like barca, tippy tappy.

Barca and Spain aren't common. If everyone played like them the game would die. 2 teams that don't give the ball away. I like seeing a good goal scored from a cross with a header or a good diagonal ball played behind the defence.

Dont mind Barca. And im not suggesting we can emulate Brazil 1970 either by the way.

But when you look at the skill levels of teams like Bosnia for example you just dispair.

Trap will never set us up to play that way because he thinks, correctly, that we are dinosaurs, just like the rest of the British Isles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's time to get into the League of Ireland lads. St Pat's at least tried to beat Hannover. We had a lot more possession than Ireland had against Germany. We made more of an effort!!

Hannover != German national side.

Some perspective please.

Dont mind Barca. And im not suggesting we can emulate Brazil 1970 either by the way.

But when you look at the skill levels of teams like Bosnia for example you just dispair.

Trap will never set us up to play that way because he thinks, correctly, that we are dinosaurs, just like the rest of the British Isles.

No point expecting trap to play good football.

You don't need to be good passers to be able defend. Which we can't do anymore.

You're just repeating the stuff Dunphy is coming out with on RTE.

Where is the evidence the players have turned on him. O'Shea took the result on the chin and laid the blame at the players.

He chooses the players he does because he sees something in them obviously. I believe in judging people on results and while the loss tonight was a poor result, it is but one result. It is but three points lost. The group is very much alive and we all know he's leaving at the end of this campaign so why make him walk now? It would be silly.

Are you completely brain dead? :mad: The evidence is on the pitch. Look at the work rate tonight. Look at the tackling. how many chances did we have?
    So anyone who goes against your argument is Dunphy-esque? and whats more pathetic and laughable is that this is the second time you've made this argument :rolleyes:

If the Irish players genuinely take this on the chin then i can only assume they have given up the ghost both on this manager and on him being sacked which he should be at once. Its no longer a situation about money, its about pride and Trap has shot ours to pieces.

monkey9 wrote: »

Forget passion and fight for a minute and ask yourself this - can you remember Andrews, McCarthy or Fahy showing for a pass from the central defenders once tonight?

The difference between what we saw from O'Shea and O'Dea and how the germans distributed the ball to their midfielders was just embarrassing.

He is performing in his role. Two play-offs and a tournament qualification is a terrific achievement. If you think this is bad remind yourself of the Staunton era.

During the Staunton era we never got beaten 6-1 at home. Now go learn to be rational and realistic in your opinions. Maybe do some research on the game of soccer before you start posting drivel opinions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

MD1990 wrote: »
    McClean,Long,Foley are players we know who are not happy with Trapatoni
    his treatment of Foley in particular was disgraceful

So what? How did Hodgson treat Rio Ferdinand last week? It happens all the time. You'd swear Trap was the only manager to ever fall out with a player.
    It's professional football, it's a ruthless profession. Foley needs to fcuking grow up.

• Advertisement

Was very sad watching the game. The saddest thing is I was not surprised. What an inept display by the players, who are terribly coached by someone whose tactics do not belong in the modern game.

I do not blame the players. I blame the manager for picking in many cases the worst players for many positions and the sheer tactical inferiority we have over other teams.

Trap must go, and he must go now.

So who else should he have picked tonight?

If I was a betting man, and i am, I would say something like:-

Faroes 4/5
    Draw5/4
    Us 7/4

I'd put my house on us at 7/4 to beat the Faroes!!

I'll sum up the thread so far.
    "Trapattoni should tell the team to play like Brazil." :rolleyes:

Ah would you just cop on now... God above we ask for better then 6-1 at home from a manager on a huge salary with a big cv and due to 'happy village idiot' mentality in this country, we are asking far too much. Go to bed at once and come back when you can make a better argument then that :mad:

I tell you what ill drive up to Dublin and throw you the few pennies next week when your begging on O'Connell St ;)

Right since you ask:

Clarke in for O'Dea

Wilson for Ward

Long for Walters

Houlihan for Andrews

Coleman and McCarthy should have been playing for the past 18 months.

And build bridges with Stepehn Ireland/ Steven Reid

Dude, seriously, stay away from class A at least

Wouldn't have mattered. Yes the players are partially to blame but fact is Trap has either lost the dressing room or has the players in such a counter productive system that they look like a pub team.
    You set a team up to play to their strengths if they are limited but Ireland are playing to their weaknesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just back.

Sh1t atmosphere (even at 0-0).

Coleman getting away with blame isn't on, caught too far up the pitch for second goal.

Sitting off was taken to new proportions tonight.

The German goals were so soft, so fcuking soft. They just didn't even have to earn them.

Just beat the Faroes and give us a few months to mull this over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

nbar12 wrote: »
    anyone else dreading the Faroes game this Tuesday?

No.

• Advertisement

Right since you ask:

Clarke in for O'Dea

Wilson for Ward

Long for Walters

Houlihan for Andrews

Coleman and McCarthy should have been playing for the past 18 months.

And build bridges with Stepehn Ireland/ Steven Reid

I'd agree with bringing in Clark and Wilson but they wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference tonight.
    Long for Walters? Walters was the only player who actually tried tonight.
    Coleman and McCarthy were terrible tonight. And where would you have brought them in over the last 18 months? Up to the Euro's Whelan and Andrews were solid defensively and helped us qualify.
    As for Coleman, O'Shea did well at right back and Duff was locked in right mid.Last season Coleman lost a bit of form and was in and out of the Everton team.
    Trap reach out to Ireland but the guys a complete tit.
    Fair enough with Steven Reid but given all his injuries you can understand how he wasn't picked.

We have limited players. Tonight we had guys who play for Birmingham against guys who play for Real Madrid! And it was one of those nights where Germany were brilliant, everything they did worked, and we were pure muck!
    I still think Sweden aren't great and hopefully Coleman and McCarthy learned something from their schooling tonight and show their real potential in the upcoming games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement