Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I'd put my house on us at 7/4 to beat the Faroes!!

In other words - you are saying you are completely certain we will beat the Faroes despte tonight's performance, is that correct?

You are a gas man.

nbar12 wrote: »
    anyone else dreading the Faroes game this Tuesday?

Yes. Morale is lower then low. Id love to be a fly on the wall where Denis O'Brien was watching the game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Dude, seriously, stay away from class A at least

Mate, 7/4 is a crazy price. Throw those odds on an exchange and see how much money floods on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

noodler wrote: »
    Just back.

Sh1t atmosphere (even at 0-0).

Coleman getting away with blame isn't on, caught too far up the pitch for second goal.

Sitting off was taken to new proportions tonight.

The German goals were so soft, so fcuking soft. They just didn't even have to earn them.

Just beat the Faroes and give us a few months to mull this over.

He wasn't actually. He gets back and gets into a position to try and block Reus's shot. Least he tried to get forward, that was a rarity from anyone tonight.

hopefully Coleman and McCarthy learned something from their schooling tonight and show their real potential in the upcoming games.

Thats the whole point - if they has been tested in the last campaign instead of Kelly/Green, they might have showed more tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Based on Sweden's Euro 2012, they're a lot stronger than us. People say we have a chance but tonight even when we were 2 or 3 down midfield were still going backwards to defence with the ball, breaking with the ball they're incredibly slow.

Sweden and Germany are a step up from what we had in our Euro 2012 group. We won't beat Sweden away and can't see us beating them at home when we've yet to beat anyone of note at home since Holland 2001.

Also it's not as if Greece have unreal players and they put up a much bigger fight in the Quarter Finals

Mate, 7/4 is a crazy price. Throw those odds on an exchange and see how much money floods on it.

And you will have your house on yeah?

In other words - you are saying you are completely certain we will beat the Faroes despte tonight's performance, is that correct?

You are a gas man.

Yes I am.

1. The faroes are ****e.
    2. They almost had their world cup tonight by nearly beating Sweden. It won't happen twice in a row.
    3. We are a wounded animal.
    4. all of the above :)

Remember how it felt watching Ireland celebrate an injury-time winner against San Marino in 2007? Remember the shambolic display on the field and the insulting rhetoric from the manager afterwards?
    A one-time ruler of European football is now insisting things aren't as bad as they were under Steve Staunton, but Giovanni Trapattoni might be wrong about that. He is as ineffective as an international manager now as Staunton was then. We have come full circle.

Recent quote by Richard Sadlier after Kazakhstan game. Looking forward to his latest piece. Pity RTE brought back the drunken ranter instead of him tonight

And you will have your house on yeah?

I will, I've been trying to sell the fcuking thing for the past 3 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If I was a betting man, and i am, I would say something like:-

Faroes 4/5
    Draw5/4
    Us 7/4

7/4? Jesus wept, we'll be around 1/4 with the Faroes 5 or 6/1 and rightly so. If a bookies was to offer 7/4 on us to beat the Faroes they'd be gone out of business after the game.

Thats the whole point - if they has been tested in the last campaign instead of Kelly/Green, they might have showed more tonight.

Key word: "might"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Also saw someone tweet this at 4-0

I'm sitting behind Denis O'Brien in premium level, he just left. No joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It'd be brilliant if we lost to the Faroes. We haven't a hope of achieving anything anyway so might as well give someone something to celebrate.

Yes I am.

1. The faroes are ****e.
    2. They almost had their world cup tonight by nearly beating Sweden. It won't happen twice in a row.
    3. We are a wounded animal.
    4. all of the above :)

We are a wounded animal, badly in need of a life support machine. The Faroes on the other hand have a bit of national pride probably for the first time ever. We have a manager that will play one up front against them and will go long ball. If they snuff that plan out we could have another Astana/Rimini on our hands.

Barlett wrote: »
    Based on Sweden's Euro 2012, they're a lot stronger than us. People say we have a chance but tonight even when we were 2 or 3 down midfield were still going backwards to defence with the ball, breaking with the ball they're incredibly slow.

Sweden and Germany are a step up from what we had in our Euro 2012 group. We won't beat Sweden away and can't see us beating them at home when we've yet to beat anyone of note at home since Holland 2001.

Also it's not as if Greece have unreal players and they put up a much bigger fight in the Quarter Finals

I watched the Swedish game tonight. They were poor.

I'd agree with bringing in Clark and Wilson but they wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference tonight.
    Long for Walters? Walters was the only player who actually tried tonight.
    Coleman and McCarthy were terrible tonight. And where would you have brought them in over the last 18 months? Up to the Euro's Whelan and Andrews were solid defensively and helped us qualify.
    As for Coleman, O'Shea did well at right back and Duff was locked in right mid.Last season Coleman lost a bit of form and was in and out of the Everton team.
    Trap reach out to Ireland but the guys a complete tit.
    Fair enough with Steven Reid but given all his injuries you can understand how he wasn't picked.

We have limited players. Tonight we had guys who play for Birmingham against guys who play for Real Madrid! And it was one of those nights where Germany were brilliant, everything they did worked, and we were pure muck!
    I still think Sweden aren't great and hopefully Coleman and McCarthy learned something from their schooling tonight and show their real potential in the upcoming games.

O'Shea was appalling in the Euro's at right back, would never play him there again for Ireland. Germany weren't brilliant at all, but it was still so easy for them.

The thing about people saying where would certain players be brought in, the fact is a lot of people saw nights like this coming. Between an incredibly stubborn coach, limited tactics, unwillingness to attack and a sinful resistance to blood other players, it was gonna come back to bite us, and bite us really hard. We scraped, and I mean scraped, through qualifying. Just saying we qualified masks a lot of what actually went on during the group, the results of which is bearing fruit right now, and did so tonight.

Yes I am.

1. The faroes are ****e.

Sorry but you are delusional my friend.

Cant you see how equally ****e we are?

We got beat 1-6 tonight ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

WTF is it about Trap giving the cameos to the promising players only when we are utterly gone? Brady tonight, McClean at the dying end of the Spain match, it is almost as if Trap wants to tell the public "I played your favorite and he did nothing."

6-0 down and he brings on Brady, who goes on to take a nice corner for the goal. Not saying he would have turned the match around if he came on at half time but there is zero point in him coming on when we are 6-0 down. Either play these young lads at a stage when they can make a real difference or do not bother playing them at all. In fact, gambling with the likes of McClean and Brady from the start would have been idea. We were going to lose anyway sticking with a more experienced line up, why not gamble these two lads and maybe get a sneaky draw.

We are a wounded animal, badly in need of a life support machine. The Faroes on the other hand have a bit of national pride probably for the first time ever. We have a manager that will play one up front against them and will go long ball. If they snuff that plan out we could have another Astana/Rimini on our hands.

I'm as disappointed as the next man after tonight but we won't lose on Tuesday.
    As bad as tonight was, this group isn't over yet. Sweden haven't looked great and also tonight we saw again that the Kazakhs at home aren't easy to beat.
    We beat the Faroes, then we have a few months to get our **** together.
    (I'm an optimist in case you didn't guess!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Did anyone else find it bizarre how a good section of the crowd celebrated Keogh's goal :confused:

Paully D wrote: »
    7/4? Jesus wept, we'll be around 1/4 with the Faroes 5 or 6/1 and rightly so. If a bookies was to offer 7/4 on us to beat the Faroes they'd be gone out of business after the game.

Dont worry it wont arise - the bookies wont have to offer 7/4 because there are heards of green tinted spectacle mugs ready to line up like lambs to the slaughter to back us at 1/3 so why would they offer 7/4 (even if that is an accurate refelctionm of the team's chances)?

Sorry but you are delusional my friend.

Cant you see how equally ****e we are?

We got beat 1-6 tonight ffs.

We're better than the Faroes for gods sake.

Corholio wrote: »
    O'Shea was appalling in the Euro's at right back, would never play him there again for Ireland. Germany weren't brilliant at all, but it was still so easy for them.

The thing about people saying where would certain players be brought in, the fact is a lot of people saw nights like this coming. Between an incredibly stubborn coach, limited tactics, unwillingness to attack and a sinful resistance to blood other players, it was gonna come back to bite us, and bite us really hard. We scraped, and I mean scraped, through qualifying. Just saying we qualified masks a lot of what actually went on during the group, the results of which is bearing fruit right now, and did so tonight.

Germany weren't brilliant??? They had 8 shots on target and scored 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Corholio wrote: »
    He wasn't actually. He gets back and gets into a position to try and block Reus's shot. Least he tried to get forward, that was a rarity from anyone tonight.

He was poor.

His attack broke down and he was slow to get back.

The closing down for the second goal was abysmal.

Just because he was slightly more anonymous than some of the worse performers shouldn't mean people somehow recall this as him having a good game.

Nobody in the starters but Walters (at a push) deserves to avoid intense criticism.

Germany weren't brilliant??? They had 8 shots on target and scored 6!

They weren't brilliant.

Exactly the problem.

The goals were absolutely schoolboy.

What strikes can we actually give Germany credit for? Kroos?

The first three goals were bad jokes.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Did anyone else find it bizarre how a good section of the crowd celebrated Keogh's goal :confused:

Punters who bet on a 6-1 i reckon :pac: Scoring after that rubbish deserves mild applause at best, there were people dancing ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I know I'm going to get slated for this but I think I've lost the passion following Ireland under Trap. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would say this but I genuinely don't even care about the match on Tuesday. I'm not even looking forward to it, whereas before I would be buzzing about anytime Ireland were playing a match, whether it was a qualifying game or a friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You are a gas man.
    I wouldn't be certain we would beat them, but if I got those odds I would put a sizeable bet on Ireland.
    Fwiw I am up €18k this week (and I can prove it if needed.)

• Advertisement

I'm as disappointed as the next man after tonight but we won't lose on Tuesday.
    As bad as tonight was, this group isn't over yet. Sweden haven't looked great and also tonight we saw again that the Kazakhs at home aren't easy to beat.
    We beat the Faroes, then we have a few months to get our **** together.
    (I'm an optimist in case you didn't guess!)

:) Fair play but under this current regime realism has to surely intervene at some point.

This group is over pal. We are toast if we keep Trapasaurus in the hot seat. His methods are outdated. He has poor communication skills and no plan B. He is overpaid and worse he is over here!

We're better than the Faroes for gods sake.

We will see on Tuesday, but in the aftermath of tonight there is no justification for your brand of confidence.

Hopefully the Faroe players havent seen your posts though ...........

Punters who bet on a 6-1 i reckon :pac: Scoring after that rubbish deserves mild applause at best, there were people dancing ffs!

I was actually happy when we scored until it hit me that I bet on the Germans to win to nil :o

We will see on Tuesday, but in the aftermath of tonight there is no justification for your brand of confidence.

Hopefully the Faroe players havent seen your posts though ...........

They haven't time for web forums, the football and day jobs keep them pretty busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

If I was a betting man, and i am, I would say something like:-

Faroes 4/5
    Draw5/4
    Us 7/4

LOL good lad. Don't start a bookies any time soon anyway. You'd be cleaned out straight away. We'll be about 1/4 at least as already stated and rightly so.

We are shocking yes, I'm not denying it but I have no doubt we'll beat the Faroes

kincsem wrote: »
    I wouldn't be certain we would beat them, but if I got those odds I would put a sizeable bet on Ireland.

Yeah I have taken some reasonably "sizeable" positions in my time too and I am not talking nickles and dimes either.

If you were making a book yourself - ignoring the market - what would you be giving the Ireland win?

• Advertisement

I am 95% confident we'll beat the Faroes.

Just...so bloody what? Everyone will.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    LOL good lad. Don't start a bookies any time soon anyway. You'd be cleaned out straight away. We'll be about 1/5 at least as already stated and rightly so.

We are shocking yes, I'm not denying it but I have no doubt we'll beat the Faroes

1/5 away from home :confused:. 4 days after our biggest defeat since 1931?

Yeah you're right. We are a certainty, 1/5 is generous.

kincsem wrote: »

good lord fairplay, where do you get your tips ha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Is the style of play ugly? Yes. Are we playing badly? Yes. But can we still get out of this group? I say yes.

I applaud your optimism. I don't know what you're basing it on, certainly not the performances in our last two competitive games which genuinely have us looking forward to 2nd last place rather than 2nd.

Interestingly (and unsurprisingly) no European team has *ever* qualified for the World Cup after losing a home game by 5 goals. Ironically Germany were the next best statistic after losing a home game 5-1 to England in 2001 but qualifying regardless.

1/5 away from home :confused:. 4 days after our biggest defeat since 1931?

Yeah you're right. We are a certainty, 1/5 is generous.

Meant to put 1/4 but 1/5 will do. We were playing Germany tonight. Faroe Islands are about ten times worse and I'm probably being kind. You mean to tell me if you were a bookmaker you'd have a side who are littered with part timers as favourites against a team who reached the play offs in the last two qualifying campaigns?

We are a terrible team yes, but seriously we are better than the f**king faroe islands.

There is a reason we are unbackable with the bookies

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »

We are a terrible team yes, but seriously we are better than the f**king faroe islands.

IMO that sort of thinking is somewhat responsible for our current predicament. Echoes of Cyprus in the Stan era??

Yes, ok, we may win on Tuesday, but we are no certainties and anybody like yer man Simon McGurk thinking of having their nuts on us to win at 1/5 needs to see a counsellor quick.

IMO that sort of thinking is somewhat responsible for our current predicament. Echoes of Cyprus in the Stan era??

Yes, ok, we may win on Tuesday, but we are no certainties and anybody like yer man Simon McGurk thinking of having their nuts on us to win at 1/5 needs to see a counsellor quick.

Hardly?

I'm taling about the part-timers Faroe Islands. Not Sweden

Cyprus actually had players with champs league football experience.

Look, I'm under no illusions. We will not come close to qualifying. But we'll beat the Faroe Islands. Having them as favourites is absolute madness

If a bookmaker had them at 1/2 I'd jump on it with no hesitation.

I understand you've lost faith in the team and seriously so have I. Even a win in the Faroes won't mask over anything.

the price quoted was 7/4. Don't be reneging on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

good lord fairplay, where do you get your tips ha?
    I sent you a PM with the details of the wins (actually €17,758), but not my reasoning. The events are not what you would expect, and it is a lifetime best.

I know I'm going to get slated for this but I think I've lost the passion following Ireland under Trap. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would say this but I genuinely don't even care about the match on Tuesday. I'm not even looking forward to it, whereas before I would be buzzing about anytime Ireland were playing a match, whether it was a qualifying game or a friendly

Because of the pointlessness of actually qualifying. If he was playing our best side to the best of their ability we would be in with a great shout to do well in the group and at the WC, especially with the Swedes seemingly being past it. How many more players will he fall out with and sideline before the campaign is out? There is simply no point in qualifying right now under the current set up, at best I hope we finish with a reasonable seeding for the next qualifiers under a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

During the Staunton era we never got beaten 6-1 at home. Now go learn to be rational and realistic in your opinions. Maybe do some research on the game of soccer before you start posting drivel opinions

Are you on crack? During the Staunton era we never made it to two play-offs or a finals. We did get a thumping away to Cyprus which I THINK is a tad worse.

Research what Trap has achieved in the game, lad. Here's a clue: it's more than being a condescending armchair smart-alec.

I listened to Gab Marcotti make the case for Trap staying and I'd respect his opinion more than a fickle 'supporter' like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I remember after the 4-0 v Spain thinking "Well, that's as bad as it gets ", but Trap is really doing his best to break all records.

For a side that is supposed to be about killing the game and keeping the score down we seem to be bloody awful at doing it. It's ironic that our most defensive tactics ever is leading to this uncharacteristic series of drubbings.

To put it in perspective we managed to go from 1971 to 2012 without losing a competitive game to anyone by more than 3 goals. A proud record to be fair for what is essentially just a small team. Now in the space of 5 months we've managed to blot that run twice.

This project is a dead duck. It's a bad position for the FAI to be in, but one of their own making as usual. It's anyone's guess which would cost more, pay Trap off after Tuesday or take the long term hit at the gate as these performances and results become the norm over the next 13 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Are you on crack? During the Staunton era we never made it to two play-offs or a finals. We did get a thumping away to Cyprus which I THINK is a tad worse.

Research what Trap has achieved in the game, lad. Here's a clue: it's more than being a condescending armchair smart-alec.

I listened to Gab Marcotti make the case for Trap staying and I'd respect his opinion more than a fickle 'supporter' like you.

Your logic both confuses and enrages me at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

kitakyushu wrote: »
    To put it in perspective we managed to go from 1971 to 2012 without losing a competitive game to anyone by more than 3 goals. A proud record to be fair for what is essentially just a small team. Now in the space of 5 months we've managed to blot that run twice.

Okay let's put this into perspective. The first one was against one of the greatest football teams of all time Spain - who went on to beat Italy in the final by the same score they beat us - and the second one was against a German side that, according to Didi Hamann, is the best German team in twenty years.

That's why we blotted that run twice. I don't see why that should undo all the achievements accomplished before that. Ending a ten year tournament drought being the notable one.

Key word: "might"

If you dont think getting international experience makes players play better than fair enough, but they would be better players at international level by now if they had been brought in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement