Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Prick! wrote: »
    List of players I don't want to see in an Ireland shirt again

Stephen Ward
    Darren O Dea
    Paul McShane
    Paul Green

Include John O'Shea in that. In every game he falls asleep and is nearly always the cause of a goal. He is far too timid and easily bullied. Poor choice for captain too.
    Clark and St Leger should be given a chance together now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Predalien wrote: »
    We definitely have to get a look at Meyler, the 3 midfielders were very poor at providing cover. I'd like to try Coleman on the right of midfield and perhaps replace McGeady with Brady. One thing I won't blame on the manager is the performances of John O'Shea, he's been far too poor for far too long in an Irish shirt. It's also been obvious for a long time Ward shouldn't start, handy in the squad as he's versatile but no more than that.

I agree completely about O'Shea. Last night was a big moment for him, he was our captain and he was charged with leading our defence. He's never reallt played well for Ireland, but all that would have been forgotten with a big performance yesterday.

Instead he was absolutely pathetic, and showed no leadership qualities whatsoever. I like O'Shea, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and has the makings of a talented footballer (his chip against Arsenal is one of my favourite goals ever) but he has repeatedly failed to step up for the national team.

In the short to medium term we are absolutely fcked at centre back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Anyway, the haters won't know what they've got till it's gone. I'm going to the match later and I'll be roaring the team and manager on - they absolutely can sneak a result.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

Recorded the match and just fast forwarded through the match now and shocking to see how much of the possession the Germans had.

Awful performance, Germany are a quality team and deserve a World Cup with clinical football like that.

As Dunphy said "we are a relegation team". :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

^^^ Funny that he has been posting on other Ireland related threads since the game but has failed to return here, yet was straight in after the Kazak game to take a snipe at posters who had criticised Traps tactics and the performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

My team for Tuesday night and the team that should have played last night.

Westwood

Colman O'Shea Clark Wilson

Brady McCarthy Meyler McGeady

Walters Long

I dont think O'Dea or Ward should wear the green again.Wilson must have been boiling looking at them on the bench.Also Whelan and Andrews add nothing to the team and should be subs at best from now on.

The above team,all top level players playing regularly(bar Brady and Meyler)who have proven that they can actually play.

I agree with the back four alright, but I think Ireland need at least three in the middle.
    But I do think he will play 4-4-2 and we will be again in danger of loosing again, but hopefully manage to scrape a result and hopefully the FAI can see sense and get someone in for march.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

nuxxx wrote: »
    :pac:

Been saying it for a while, Lucky has not got a clue

It's unlikely we'll top the group now. Another bloody play-off looms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's unlikely we'll top the group now. Another bloody play-off looms.

That's a joke, right?

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Fingers crossed Blackburn take the plunge and take Trapp. Its unlikely so unfortunately sacking him is going to cost big bucks.

That team and set up is a shambles at this stage.

They could be begging for Steve Kean back yet :D

• Advertisement

I cant believe we still have looney bins making a case for Trappattoni due to his cv.

A man who was picking Paul McShane over Seamus Coleman the last two years.

"Oh but he won the European cup in 1985"

:rolleyes:

Fact is that other good coaches who are not afraid to evolve and come into the 21st century have Traps methods twigged a long time ago. His tactics place no emphasis on possession and yet when we do get on the ball we have players who are uncomfortable on it. A team who can spray the ball around slaughter us at will without breaking a sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Predalien wrote: »
    He could have fielded a back four of Coleman, O'Shea, Clark and Wilson. All decent Premier League players, two of whom have been nominated for PFA young player of the year in the past. If we are going to let teams have the ball we need better defenders. That means not selecting O'Dea or Ward, it's not rocket science.

Correct - however changing 2 defenders would hardly have made any change to last nights result - maybe 5 instead of 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I agree with the back four alright, but I think Ireland need at least three in the middle.
    But I do think he will play 4-4-2 and we will be again in danger of loosing again, but hopefully manage to scrape a result and hopefully the FAI can see sense and get someone in for march.

Our back 4 was terrible last night. Hope to god Dunney and Sledge are back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I cant believe we still have looney bins making a case for Trappattoni due to his cv.

A man who was picking Paul McShane over Seamus Coleman the last two years.

"Oh but he won the European cup in 1985"

Fact is that other good coaches who are not afraid to evolve and come into the 21st century have Traps methods twigged a long time ago. His tactics place no emphasis on possession and yet when we do get on the ball we have players who are uncomfortable on it. A team who can spray the ball around slaughter us at will without breaking a sweat.

Coleman was terrible last night.

Our back 4 was terrible last night. Hope to god Dunney and Sledge are back soon.

1. Coleman -- out of depth but young enough to improve.
    2. O'Shea -- always falls asleep during games and usually responsible for a goal, too timid and easily pushed around. Big girl's blouse.
    3. O'Dea -- the fact that he is now plying his trade in Canada is enough. Bye bye.
    4. Ward -- out of depth, bye bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Coleman definitely made a few mistakes but was by far our best defender out there last night. O'Shea and O'Dea were dire, and Ward not much better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

With regard to the betting talk re the Faroes game, in my opinion there is only one bet in town. Under 2.5 goals = evens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

carlop wrote: »
    I agree completely about O'Shea ... he was absolutely pathetic...
    I think it's absolutely pointless singling out individuals for criticism - it was just the latest in a long line of absolutely awful team performances.

I would not be at all surprised if Ireland fail to beat the Faroes on Tuesday. Might actually be good thing if the Faroes pick up a point - Delaney would be left with no option but to find a replacement.

I'd absolutely love to see Mick McCarthy back in the job, with Brian Kerr as his assistant.

We need Harry Redknapp - a few strings need to be pulled somewhere to bring the magic back to Irish football and Harry is the man... :cool:

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    We need Harry Redknapp...
    The expensive, high-profile option was tried and it's not working. Better off getting someone cheaper and investing the savings in the domestic/underage setup.

djpbarry wrote: »
    If that Irish team were a step above LOI standard, they'd be playing far better football.

Have a look at the Sligo/Pats match this afternoon - either of those sides would pass Ireland off the park.

Quality of defending is about the same as last night - is this an Irish thing?

The expensive, high-profile option was tried and it's not working. Better off getting someone cheaper and investing the savings in the domestic/underage setup.

Please God do not bring back Brian 5-5-0 Kerr

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

We need Harry Redknapp - a few strings need to be pulled somewhere to bring the magic back to Irish football and Harry is the man... :cool:

No,
    We need youth development.
    We need to stop sending our young players to another country to develop.
    We need to stop spending a disproportionate amount of money on the senior teams manager.
    We need to get rid of a CEO who is the second highest paid football CEO in the world.
    We need to stop paying said CEO 4 times more than the winners of the national league.
    We need to develop the league so that team's who finish outside the top 4 win more in prize money than it costs to enter the league.
    We need not to have trapattoni's press conference on at the same time as a title deciding league match.
    We need the FAI to care about other areas of the sport rather than just the senior team.
    We need investment.

Football in this country is rotten to the core. The sooner people realise that, the better.

We don't need to keep spending silly amounts of money on the senior team.

It was more a reflection of the overall morale in the team then Colemans capabilities as a player. Fact is Trap has lost the dressing room. He is a gonner and quite frankly good riddance to overpaid outdated rubbish

Quality of defending is about the same as last night...
    We both know that's nonsense, but the point is that the approach adopted by both sides is all about quick one and two-touch football.

Now, the likes of James McCarthy, Aiden McGeady, Keith Fahey and Seamus Coleman are good technical players, well above LOI standard. Then there's Wes Hoolahan who, for some absolutley mind-boggling reason, isn't even in the squad. I find it very, very hard to believe these guys are not capable of implementing a passing game at international level.

The point is, I don't buy the whole "we don't have the players" argument. Sure, we're lacking really top-class players at the moment, but we have a number of good premiership-level players who should be a hell of a lot better organised than what we witnessed last night.
    Please God do not bring back Brian 5-5-0 Kerr
    Why not? Ireland were well organised and played decent football under Kerr. And his underage sides were actually pretty attack-minded - he just didn't have the players for a 4-3-3 with the senior side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Walters was the only player that came out of the game with any credit. Thought he worked his socks off and actually did something with the ball at times. Mcgeady cant pass to save his life just clueless.

Just such a disaster performance. But the strange thing was once it went to 3-0 I really felt no dispair as the ther goals went in. UnLike Spain game in Euros I was hoping ref blow it up after 50 minutes, but last night I just lost all hope and in end did not care what score was going to be.

This result has been coming I guess. I honestly thought we put up decent performance maybe even sneak draw, but with some of those performances last night there was no fight, no leadership, no decent play all game.

Faroe Island game wont be pushover either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Leejo wrote: »

We need to get rid of a CEO who is the second highest paid football CEO in the world.
    We need to stop paying said CEO 4 times more than the winners of the national league.

He took a 10% pay cut there a few weeks back, he must really be feeling the effects of the recession now.. Only on €430,000 a year poor fello

I'll never understand how he gets more than €250,000 more a year than the CEO's of the Spanish and Italian football associations

Why not? Ireland were well organised and played decent football under Kerr. And his underage sides were actually pretty attack-minded - he just didn't have the players for a 4-3-3 with the senior side.

He's a bus parker - sorry but I'd just rather watch paint dry than watch Brian Kerr ruin the beautiful game - we would be the Stoke of Internaional football and that would kill me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He's a bus parker - sorry but I'd just rather watch paint dry than watch Brian Kerr ruin the beautiful game - we would be the Stoke of Internaional football and that would kill me...

I would kill to play like Stoke if it meant results.

It would be seriously huge improvement on what we played like last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

What can Trap say to the team that will buoy them for this up coming game against the Faroes? I don't think there'll be one player who is particularly interested in what he has to tell them. They've made their minds up that his stewardship is untenable, as I think most of us have. I'm torn about the game. On the one hand, I'd never root against Ireland but what if something less than a win really did force the FAI to act (even though there's not much evidence that they can afford to in their current state)?

True. Is this how bad things have gotten that there are people on here wanting Kerr back? What great results did he achieve in a game that mattered? His crowning one seems to be 0-0 in the Stade de France. He got some nice results in friendlies but a fat lot of good those did. He actually blew a pretty handy qualifying group, one being contested by a much more vital Irish side than what is now in place. Just goes to show how much bearing a manager can have.

He had a fantastic, historic achievement in that underage WC but please, no more talk of him coming anywhere near the senior side.

• Advertisement

...we would be the Stoke of Internaional football...
    No, we wouldn't. Besides, Ireland are far, far worse than Stoke at present. At least what Stoke do is effective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

In one way I wish we didn't qualify for the euros. I think there'd have been a bit of optimism before this campaign.

The man should be in a nursing home in Italy, he's too old.

Kick a ball up to Walters, what happens then like? Playing for the setpiece and we're not even good at them.

briany wrote: »
    On the one hand, I'd never root against Ireland but what if something less than a win really did force the FAI to act (even though there's not much evidence that they can afford to in their current state)?
    I think they'd have to. Even looking at it from a purely business point of view, there would zero interest in the rest of the qualifiers if Trap stays on - that may well hurt the FAI coffers more than terminating his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I don't remember Kerr teams ever parking the bus unless we were defending a lead?

I do have this vague memory however of seemingly endless passing of the ball among the back four and keeper regardless of the score. Utter crap to watch (but at least we had the ball).

briany wrote: »
    What can Trap say to the team that will buoy them for this up coming game against the Faroes? I don't think there'll be one player who is particularly interested in what he has to tell them. They've made their minds up that his stewardship is untenable, as I think most of us have. I'm torn about the game. On the one hand, I'd never root against Ireland but what if something less than a win really did force the FAI to act (even though there's not much evidence that they can afford to in their current state)?

If the F.A.I. can afford to pay Trap 1.5 million a year and Delaney 430 thousand then they have too much money.

I would kill to play like Stoke if it meant results..

Issues:
    Irish kids will grow up looking at such crap and think thats how to play football.
    People will not pay in to watch.

It would be seriously huge improvement on what we played like last night.
    No matter what team was put out last night Ireland were going to take a beating by a couple of goals from a top class side - In olden days we could have let the grass grow a bit, stopped watering and narrowed the pitch, but alas the wonders of Landsdowne Road seem to have gone :(

Issues:
    Irish kids will grow up looking at such crap and think thats how to play football.

No matter what team was put out last night Ireland were going to take a beating by a couple of goals from a top class side - In olden days we could have let the grass grow a bit, stopped watering and narrowed the pitch, but alas the wonders of Landsdowne Road seem to have gone :(

Stoke play some nice stuff aswell as playing direct. They actually have a tall target man aswell, unlike Ireland. Stoke don't play aimless long balls.

And are you saying people would pay in to watch performances like last night?

Stoke play some nice stuff aswell as playing direct. They actually have a tall target man aswell, unlike Ireland. Stoke don't play aimless long balls.

I'm thinking Crouchy might have an Irish great grandparent - he looks pale enough

Issues:

No! Are you saying Faroe Islands are better than us then? Because they only conceded 3 away in Germany.

No! Are you saying Faroe Islands are better than us then? Because they only conceded 3 away in Germany.

Please add here the algorithm used to decipher this meaning...

• Advertisement

No matter what team was put out last night Ireland were going to take a beating by a couple of goals from a top class side -

England are high in the fifa rankings, and beat the worst team in international soccer by the same margin as we lost.

Losing by 2 or 3 is understandable, not by conceding 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

sandt wrote: »
    Well after saying that you obviously got to show us the proof......

Solemia.PNG
    http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15384
    3% of €170,500

kincsem wrote: »

Sure how much have you lost? :D

Sure how much have you lost? :D
    €4,319,770 today

Where did u get a 75-1 from??

Where did u get a 75-1 from??
    Betfair. 75 is 74/1. I tried to bet €200 but only €182 taken at 75s.
    I woke at 16:15 to find the horse had won.
    I tipped the horse at 3 am on the morning of the race on the Betfair forum / Horse Antepost / ***L'Arc de Triomphe 2012*** thread and after the race put up an abbreviated summary of my analysis (for anyone interested.) 07 Oct 12 03:18; 07 Oct 12 23:58
    http://community.betfair.com/horse_antepost/go/thread/view/94098/29061313/larc-de-triomphe-2012

Betfair. 75 is 74/1. I tried to bet €200 but only €182 taken at 75s.
    I woke at 16:15 to find the horse had won.
    I tipped the horse at 3 am on the morning of the race on the Betfair forum / Antepost / ***Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe*** thread and after the race put up an abbreviated summary of my analysis (for anyone interested.)

You should post your losses too ;)

You should post your losses too ;)
    see post #1347 above

You've lost 4m today?

• Advertisement

You've lost 4m today?
    If it keeps you happy, then yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement