Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I got the impression Hendrick was more box-to-box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

kitakyushu wrote: »
    What a night! Went in expecting the worst. Came away with a draw and a new future world class centre-back called Paul McShane.

To his credit, he did well on Koller that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Pro. F wrote: »
    If you are saying that S Reid, Fahey, McCarthy, Gibson, Meyler, McClean and Coleman are not streets ahead of Green and Keogh in their respective Irish team positions then you are lying.

To describe playing those players instead as a risk that might leave us more open is nonsense.

I'm not comparing them to Keogh and Green, you are. I am comparing them to the first 11 and making the point that there is not a ton of difference between some of the players. Therefore making wholesale changes is a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

TaosHum wrote: »
    To his credit, he did well on Koller that night.

Except the goal. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can't have Ward playing left back. Germany are known for their ruthless right wing.

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm not comparing them to Keogh and Green, you are. I am comparing them to the first 11 and making the point that there is not a ton of difference between some of the players. Therefore making wholesale changes is a risk.

You responded to my post where I compared them and disagreed with it. If you want to compare different players to the ones I have chosen to discuss then don't quote me as if you are talking to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    :confused: Don't get your quoting my post from last night but....I'd say Meyler over Fahey. Probably needs that little bit more grit.

Well you mentioned what we'd do with the midfield, I just posted what I thought the whole team would be

You responded to my post where I compared them and disagreed with it. If you want to compare different players to the ones I have chosen to discuss then don't quote me as if you are talking to me.

Why are you comparing players who are not in the team with other players who are not in the team?

Why are you comparing players who are not in the team with other players who are not in the team?

Stop pretending you can't understand a simple point. Green in the centre and Cox and Keogh on the wing have been selected in the past ahead of the other players I mentioned and there is a good chance that they will be again soon. That is why I am comparing them. Fúcking obviously.

Stop pretending you can't understand a simple point. Green in the centre and Cox and Keogh on the wing have been selected in the past ahead of the other players I mentioned and there is a good chance that they will be again soon. That is why I am comparing them. Fúcking obviously.
    Stop man.
    Isn't Green injured? He won't be playing for a while. And Keogh has hardly had a start in the last few years.
    For the record, take the chip off your shoulder too man.

• Advertisement

Stop man.
    Isn't Green injured? He won't be playing for a while. And Keogh has hardly had a start in the last few years.
    For the record, take the chip off your shoulder too man.

Trap has said that Keogh is ahead of McClean in his thinking - link. There is also Cox who Trap has played ahead of McClean and Coleman on the wing.

Green is close to recovering or recovered, I'm not sure. It still doesn't change the point I made since I wasn't just talking about who Trap is going to play against Germany, but who he has chosen to play in the recent past as well.

There is no chip on my shoulder. You are just pretending you can't grasp the simple point I made that you originally responded to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I drop in to see if there's any interesting discussion going on and I see this ****. Jesus christ, stop sniping at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

craggles wrote: »
    I drop in to see if there's any interesting discussion going on and I see this ****. Jesus christ, stop sniping at each other.

What else is there to do. Let them at it. Sure it beats going on about how sh1t our national football squad are and how Trap should be taken out and shot. :pac:

Trap has said that Keogh is ahead of McClean in his thinking - link. There is also Cox who Trap has played ahead of McClean and Coleman on the wing.

Green is close to recovering or recovered, I'm not sure. It still doesn't change the point I made since I wasn't just talking about who Trap is going to play against Germany, but who he has chosen to play in the recent past as well.

There is no chip on my shoulder. You are just pretending you can't grasp the simple point I made that you originally responded to.

I'm not "pretending" anything lad. If you can't deal with someone contradicting your opinion on a discussion forum then don't bother posting.
    My point still stands that the players who are not involved are not head and shoulders above the others. If they were then we'd see them play at a higher level.
    That's my opinion, you have a different opinion. Nothing to get your feathers ruffled over.

I'm not "pretending" anything lad. If you can't deal with someone contradicting your opinion on a discussion forum then don't bother posting.
    My point still stands that the players who are not involved are not head and shoulders above the others. If they were then we'd see them play at a higher level.
    That's my opinion, you have a different opinion. Nothing to get your feathers ruffled over.

You have changed what you are saying a few times, so no you aren't just contradicting my opinion (which you would be perfectly entitled to do), you are trying to fudge the issue because you know what you said is stupid bollocks.

S Reid, Gibson, McCarthy and Fahey are head and shoulders above Paul Green in the centre midfield. To deny that is retarded.

Coleman and McClean are head and shoulders above Keogh and Cox as wingers. To deny that is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Robbie Keane up front on his own against Germany, jaysus :o

You have changed what you are saying a few times, so no you aren't just contradicting my opinion (which you would be perfectly entitled to do), you are trying to fudge the issue because you know what you said is stupid bollocks.

S Reid, Gibson, McCarthy and Fahey are head and shoulders above Paul Green in the centre midfield. To deny that is retarded.

Coleman and McClean are head and shoulders above Keogh and Cox as wingers. To deny that is retarded.

I've made the same point all along. None of the players you mentioned are that great. All of them would be out of their depth against Germany.
    We haven't got great players. We only have one player playing Champions League football. So the players Trap picks need to fit the team system as opposed to looking good individually from time to time with their clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Trap has said that Keogh is ahead of McClean in his thinking - link.

I think that's the most depressing thing I've ever heard. Ever.

I've made the same point all along. None of the players you mentioned are that great. All of them would be out of their depth against Germany.
    We haven't got great players. We only have one player playing Champions League football. So the players Trap picks need to fit the team system as opposed to looking good individually from time to time with their clubs.

You are talking absolute bollocks. The players I mentioned are far superior to Green in the middle and Keogh and Cox on the wing.

Trap's system does not affect it because Green, Keogh and Cox (on the wing) have not done anything noteworthy in his bullshìt system anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

523666_10151192811689914_1212935389_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Very strong possibility of three in central midfield and hopefully nullify Ozil. Come on Ireland!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19888886

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Target Ozil and Schweinsteiger just says to hell with this and slams one into the net. The joys of being German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

I have played soccer at a decent level and i now coach underage. I have watched soccer all my life but I am missing something....In a match like this Robbie will be playing up front on his own while Long warms the bench....Robbie is our top goalscorer but not from playing on his own up front...playing in a lower standard league..while long has looked impressive so far for west brom

what am i missing here (apart from punctuation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I have played soccer at a decent level and i now coach underage. I have watched soccer all my life but I am missing something....In a match like this Robbie will be playing up front on his own while Long warms the bench....Robbie is our top goalscorer but not from playing on his own up front...playing in a lower standard league..while long has looked impressive so far for west brom

what am i missing here (apart from punctuation)

To quote Trap:

"Shane Long is idiot No, is no baby."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I've been banging this drum for a while.

We need to be a team in every sense. We need every player making a contribution. Robbie Keane doesn't do that anymore, especially not as a lone striker.

Shane Long is 25 now.

Now is his time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Very disappointed by the probability of Keane playing the lone striker role. The Euro's showed his inability to do so. Quite frankly, the form of his last half dozen appearances shouldn't warrant a starting role at all. Preference would be for Long to fill that role. His start to the season has been good and as some earlier pointed out, he is 25 now and should be much more than a bit part player in this squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Can't ever remember this much pessimism before such a big home game.
    I can't remember the last time that we played at home where the opposition were as low as 2/5 to win at the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I've been banging this drum for a while.

We need to be a team in every sense. We need every player making a contribution. Robbie Keane doesn't do that anymore, especially not as a lone striker.

Shane Long is 25 now.

Now is his time.
    5 goals and 1 assist for 600 minutes of football this season. He is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Who said we are overachieving because he have one player in Europe. We could start a team full of Premiership regulars but Trap likes to play players who are inferior. The team below for example is far superior to the likes of Armenia and Slovakia who we scraped past. How anyboy could say we overachieved is laughable. If Trap put out his best players in their best positions i would be alot more confident of getting out of this group. Sadly i can see us finishing 4th in this group but i hope im wrong.

Westwood

Coleman Clark O Shea Wilson

Gibson McCarthy Whelan

McGeady McClean

Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Who said we are overachieving because he have one player in Europe. We could start a team full of Premiership regulars but Trap likes to play players who are inferior. The team below for example is far superior to the likes of Armenia and Slovakia who we scraped past. How anyboy could say we overachieved is laughable. If Trap put out his best players in their best positions i would be alot more confident of getting out of this group. Sadly i can see us finishing 4th in this group but i hope im wrong.

Premiership is the best league in the world! Pretty much explains why the Irish job is a poisoned chalice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

ush wrote: »
    Premiership is the best league in the world! Pretty much explains why the Irish job is a poisoned chalice.

In fairness the Prem probably is (depthwise at least) the best league in the world. However if you're assembling a first XI with players from the English Championship and MLS then you shouldn't go into any game expecting much.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Love the Eamon Keegan reference ha ha! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

5 goals and 1 assist for 600 minutes of football this season. He is the obvious choice.

Shane Long has 3 assists and 2 goals and he played about 450 mins of football and he is a big reason why his team are top six at the moment. Choice is obvious alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

In fairness the Prem probably is (depthwise at least) the best league in the world. However if you're assembling a first XI with players from the English Championship and MLS then you shouldn't go into any game expecting much.

Our players are making up the numbers in the premiership, thanks to our geographical proximity and cultural compatibility with the UK. We don't produce inherently better players than nations with similiar populations. Whoever mentioned the current lack of European football amongst Irish players had a valid point.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Keane sits out training, expected to be ok though.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/9078/
    Keane sustained the knock following a tackle from Paul McShane in training yesterday but he is still expected to line-out as a lone striker against Joachim Loew's side.

Fuck sake Mcshane :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

McShaaaannnne!!

McShane couldn't hit him hard enough when he was at it. Long should be in. Keane should sort himself out at least. Hit the gym, etc.

You are talking absolute bollocks. The players I mentioned are far superior to Green in the middle and Keogh and Cox on the wing.

Trap's system does not affect it because Green, Keogh and Cox (on the wing) have not done anything noteworthy in his bullshìt system anyway.

I'm not saying Green or Keogh should be playing man!

I'm not saying Green or Keogh should be playing man!

You disagreed with my posts when I criticised Trap for selecting them ahead of Steven Reid, Gibson, McCarthy, Fahey, McClean and Coleman. You said Trap would be taking a risk by selecting them over the players he knows. Which is complete bollocks.

dsmythy wrote: »
    McShaaaannnne!!

Reminded me of this (McFrrrry!) :)
    social-500x263.jpg

and since I'm in a BTTF mood, welcome to Dublin, George
    mario%20gomez%20and%20george%20mcfly.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Reminded me of this (McFrrrry!) :)

and since I'm in a BTTF mood, welcome to Dublin, George
    mario%20gomez%20and%20george%20mcfly.JPG

Mario/George isn't in the squad .

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=137

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Mario/George isn't in the squad .

Great Scott! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lol McShane, never a dull moment

You disagreed with my posts when I criticised Trap for selecting them ahead of Steven Reid, Gibson, McCarthy, Fahey, McClean and Coleman. You said Trap would be taking a risk by selecting them over the players he knows. Which is complete bollocks.

Trap doesn't select them ahead of those players.
    Reid has been injured on and off for years. Gibson has self selected not to play and the others are part of the squad, bar MacLean due to injury.
    So, you are the one talking utter bollocks. You are criticisng Trap for not using Fahey and McCarthy!? They are in the team against Germany for Gods sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

playing keane the full 90 or even upfront on his own is BS! If we had a full strength team Id have some degree of optimism for even a draw. But there are so many things going against us now, some unfortunate i.e. injuries and a lot of them due to Trappatoni. Even if by some miracle we got to the W.C Id fear another Euro's, best thing IMO is that Trapattoni goes, sooner rather than later, even if thats due short term poor results...

Trap doesn't select them ahead of those players.
    Reid has been injured on and off for years. Gibson has self selected not to play and the others are part of the squad, bar MacLean due to injury.
    So, you are the one talking utter bollocks. You are criticisng Trap for not using Fahey and McCarthy!? They are in the team against Germany for Gods sake.

You are lying and falsely portraying the situation. I'll go through them one by one.

Reid: has lots of injury problems, but he has also been fit to play plenty of times and Trap has never attempted to contact him after he made the gaff about Reid possibly never playing again when he was in the middle of negotiating a new club contract.

Gibson: Trapattoni has selected Green ahead of Gibson numerous times. Russia at home last year and bringing Green on against Spain in the Euros are two that spring to mind.

McCarthy: Trap selected Green ahead of McCarthy on numerous occasions as well and people defended it with the retarded "he knows the system" argument then too. The fact that Trap might finally be seeing sense now does not change my original point.

Coleman: has been overlooked constantly while Cox and Keogh have got games on the wing.

Fahey: has had Green play ahead of him numerous times as well.

McClean: Trap has played Cox and Keogh ahead of McClean at different times and he has said both are ahead of McClean in his thoughts now. I provided you with a link earlier, well done on not reading it.

I'll give you credit for your brazen lying about the situation even in the face of the irrefutable evidence we all have from seeing what players Trap has chosen in the past.

I think everyone here thinks ye 're both chatting a load of bollix. Dear lord.

Neeson wrote: »
    I think everyone here thinks ye 're both chatting a load of bollix. Dear lord.

What have I said that you disagree with?

You are lying and falsely portraying the situation. I'll go through them one by one.

Reid: has lots of injury problems, but he has also been fit to play plenty of times and Trap has never attempted to contact him after he made the gaff about Reid possibly never playing again when he was in the middle of negotiating a new club contract.

Gibson: Trapattoni has selected Green ahead of Gibson numerous times. Russia at home last year and bringing Green on against Spain in the Euros are two that spring to mind.

McCarthy: Trap selected Green ahead of McCarthy on numerous occasions as well and people defended it with the retarded "he knows the system" argument then too. The fact that Trap might finally be seeing sense now does not change my original point.

Coleman: has been overlooked constantly while Cox and Keogh have got games on the wing.

Fahey: has had Green play ahead of him numerous times as well.

McClean: Trap has played Cox and Keogh ahead of McClean at different times and he has said both are ahead of McClean in his thoughts now. I provided you with a link earlier, well done on not reading it.

I'll give you credit for your brazen lying about the situation even in the face of the irrefutable evidence we all have from seeing what players Trap has chosen in the past.

First off, got off your high horse with your "lying" bull****. You sound like a child.
    Listen lad, during the time period you are talking about we qualified for the euro's and reached a play off for the world cup, so please tell me where Trap's selections put us at such a disadvantage during those campaigns?
    And don't try to tell me that if these lads played in the Euro's we would have performed better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

First off, got off your high horse with your "lying" bull****. You sound like a child.
    Listen lad, during the time period you are talking about we qualified for the euro's and reached a play off for the world cup, so please tell me where Trap's selections put us at such a disadvantage during those campaigns?
    And don't try to tell me that if these lads played in the Euro's we would have performed better.

Holy sh1t, did you watch the games? It was pretty fcuking obvious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement