Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Germany - 12/10/2012 - 19:45 - RTE2/SS2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cgpg5 wrote: »
    He had paid his money for a ticket and had every right to leave when he wanted. It was blatantly obvious that the second half was going to be a horror show anyway

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Felexicon wrote: »
    I think you'll find changing the manager is one of the most important aspects of it!!!
    No one here is making any reference to teams of 10 or 20 years ago. It's just blindingly obvious that the team is not performing under Trap and a change needs to be made before it's too late

Not performing relative to what?
    Too late for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kippy wrote: »
    Too late for what?
    Relative to what any group of professional footballers should be able to do when given clear instruction.

Before it's too late and a number of young Irish players feel so alienated by their first taste of the international experience that they turn their backs on it for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Too late for what?

If things keep going the way they are going we will be lucky to finish third in the Group.
    What will that do for our group seeding in the next competition ?

Also the longer he continues the less chance of getting some young lad from NI or Scotland like McClean or McCarthy declaring for the Republic in the future.
    I won't count McGeady in that list.

The longer he stays around, the harder the job for the next guy to try and restore some smeblance of a team to the individuals that would still be part of the setup.

We might not have the great players of the past, but ffs other managers are more capable of getting some players of a lesser calibre to play as a team.
    He persists in playing players who are substandard to others and he persists in alienating half decent players.
    You can't even accuse him of playing a boring brand of negative defensive football, since the defense and particularly the midfield defense is a bloody shambles.
    The only out ball is a long hoof up the pitch which just invites the opposition back on the attack.

People say Trapatoni claims we don't have any decent players in the team.
    Well he is kinda right on that score.
    And guess what, he is one of the big reasons for that because he ignores anyone with a bit of fooking talent. :mad:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

noodler wrote: »
    Right, well he has proven in worth in previous qualifiers - might be difficult now that he is in Toronto.

Anyway, my point was more on the likes of Coleman, McCarthy which I thought would have been fairly obvious.

I was just highlighting that sometimes one performance is enough to see if a player is up to it or not. I would consider his performance on Friday to have been that bad, harsh I know.

I'd be soft enough on Coleman and McCarthy because they should have been integrated better a long time ago. Won't judge them after being thrown in at the deep end. McCarthy for instance should have been first choice for the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You left at half time 2-0 down?

Yip and I would say I was fully vindicated in doing so. Germany hadn't got out of first gear and were comfortably ahead, if they were to up it in the second half we were in for a hammering.....and that's what happened!

Tbh it was a free ticket, I wouldn't pay to go to The Aviva for an Ireland international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Agreed, although the fact that he's playing for one of the worst teams in Canada would have been a hint at his total lack of suitability for international footbal.
    Predalien wrote: »
    I was just highlighting that sometimes one performance is enough to see if a player is up to it or not. I would consider his performance on Friday to have been that bad, harsh I know.

I'd be soft enough on Coleman and McCarthy because they should have been integrated better a long time ago. Won't judge them after being thrown in at the deep end. McCarthy for instance should have been first choice for the last two years.

How do you justify him playing well in both Macedonia games last campaign? And the Russian game?

There may well be a serious decline in his ability from playing long-term in Toronto but lets not pick and choose who to lambast here. We can't say O'Dea should never play for Ireland again based soley on the Germany game whilst give everyone else a free pass.

If O'Dea is not to be 3rd/4th choice CB anymore then it will and should be based on more than just Friday's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Pro. F wrote: »
    No they weren't. O'Shea, O'Dea and Cox were worse than either of them. Everybody except Westwood and Walters played poorly anyway. There was huge disruption in every area of the team and we know Trap's tactics are not conducive to good performances so there was always going to be problems.
    Criticising those players for struggling in that situation is fùcking stupid.

Criticising players who didn't play well is stupid? Fair enough then :rolleyes:

And whatever clamour you think was around for Coleman at fullback, none of it was coming from me. I've been calling for him to be used on the wing. I can accept trying him out at fullback, but his first game there being against Germany is obviously an error.

Yes, I'd have him on the wing too. He's a poor defender.

St Ledger was drafted in during competitive games. The idea that a team has to remain the exact same during a qualification campaign is ridiculous.

That's not what I said.

You think Duff and McGeady played every minute of every competitive game?

Nope.

A young attacking winger/fullback hybrid making his debut at fullback against Germany is a bad situation. Deny that if you want, it only shows that you are talking out your hole.

Who else should he have played then?

Other managers would have worked through it somehow. When Trap falls out with so many players and publicly makes so many gaffs in his communication then the he gets the blame for these problems. Believing that Trap did all that was reasonably possible to sort things with Wilson when all the evidence points to the opposite is ridiculous.

Wilson didn't turn up. If he had and played he would have positioned himself to make the first 11 in competitive games.
    I do fault Trap for his communication for sure, especially with Foley and Fahey recently. Those sort of communication breakdowns seemed to have increased since Brady left the scene.

For a debut at fullback, with two centrebacks what were completely lost, in a team that was completely disrupted and disorganized, against one of the best teams in the world, he did fine. You are bullshìtting again.

No, he was terrible defensively, just like the rest of the back four.
    Keogh made three appearances during the qualifiers. If you think those opporunities would have made Coleman much better on Friday, then fair enough. I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Criticising players who didn't play well is stupid? Fair enough then

Criticising those players more than other players and failing to take account of the circumstances is stupid yes. What you are saying is stupid.
    That's not what I said.
    Clarify what you meant then.
    Who else should he have played then?

As I said, I'm okay with sticking him at fullback. But if he was in contention to be a backup fullback when injuries struck, then he should have been played there before. Up until now Trap has been using McShane to cover for when O'Shea and Kelly weren't available, and sometimes even when they were available. If Trap's plan was to use Coleman when it really mattered then he shouldn't have been giving the game time to McShane.
    Wilson didn't turn up. If he had and played he would have positioned himself to make the first 11 in competitive games.
    I do fault Trap for his communication for sure, especially with Foley and Fahey recently. Those sort of communication breakdowns seemed to have increased since Brady left the scene.

None of this changes what I said.
    No, he was terrible defensively, just like the rest of the back four.
    Keogh made three appearances during the qualifiers. If you think those opporunities would have made Coleman much better on Friday, then fair enough. I don't agree.

He wasn't terrible when you consider the circumstances.

You are only mentioning how many appearances Keogh made during the qualifiers, there was also Cox and McShane and there were also games other than just qualifiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

We are, at the moment a very average side.
    All the top teams will beat us handy.

We were not even physically strong enough to rough up the Germans the other night.
    We were slower than them and we were not able to pass like them.
    But the results against the Germans, Italians or Spanish are not the ones we should be looking at.

We need to get results against our equals and those "regarded" as worse than us.
    If we can't perform and get results in these games then we will have to look elsewhere for a manager.
    But up until now Trap has got the results that counted against this type of opposition.

It had been 10 years since we qualified for anything.
    Now we think we should be stroking it around like Barca.
    Get over yourselves.

The spine of our team Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane have all got old at the same time.
    Their replacements are not of the same standard.
    We will have to live with that fact for some time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

One (and I do stress one, although the observation wasn't objected to) commenter on OWC :

"At the end of the match the scoreboard read 1-6-90(Mins) :sarcastic:"

Wooo. Football for all. Stay classy, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Criticising those players more than other players and failing to take account of the circumstances is stupid yes. What you are saying is stupid.

I didn't criticise them more than other players. We were talking about Coleman and McCarthy hence I continued talking about the same players.

Clarify what you meant then.

I said it is difficult to try out new players during a qualification campaign when we are getting the results, and ultimately where we qualify.

As I said, I'm okay with sticking him at fullback. But if he was in contention to be a backup fullback when injuries struck, then he should have been played there before. Up until now Trap has been using McShane to cover for when O'Shea and Kelly weren't available, and sometimes even when they were available. If Trap's plan was to use Coleman when it really mattered then he shouldn't have been giving the game time to McShane.

McShane didn't play a single game in the qualifiers. You're talking out of your hole. Foley was used along with the two you mentioned.

He wasn't terrible when you consider the circumstances.

He was terrible. Considering the circumstances I would not hold it against him though. There is a difference there.

You are only mentioning how many appearances Keogh made during the qualifiers, there was also Cox and McShane and there were also games other than just qualifiers.

Didn't I say earlier that he played in friendlies, but you shrugged that off as not being important? You can't have it both ways man. And he did have injury and loss of form for a period last season that also held him back.
    Are you saying Coleman should have replaced Cox at some point??? When?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Felexicon wrote: »
    I think you'll find changing the manager is one of the most important aspects of it!!!
    No one here is making any reference to teams of 10 or 20 years ago. It's just blindingly obvious that the team is not performing under Trap and a change needs to be made before it's too late
    'Too late'? Too late for what?

We're not supposed to qualify for this tournament and are extremely likely to qualify for the next.

Trapp is year for one year or 20 months and then someone comes in with the easiest qualification task in history.

kfallon wrote: »

Yip and I would say I was fully vindicated in doing so. Germany hadn't got out of first gear and were comfortably ahead, if they were to up it in the second half we were in for a hammering.....and that's what happened!

Tbh it was a free ticket, I wouldn't pay to go to The Aviva for an Ireland international.

With fans like you who needs opposing nations? Our fan base has always been dreadful. McCarthy, Kerr and 10 years with no finals but they never learn.

1 I didn't criticise them more than other players. We were talking about Coleman and McCarthy hence I continued talking about the same players.

2 I said it is difficult to try out new players during a qualification campaign when we are getting the results, and ultimately where we qualify.

3 McShane didn't play a single game in the qualifiers. You're talking out of your hole. Foley was used along with the two you mentioned.

4 He was terrible. Considering the circumstances I would not hold it against him though. There is a difference there.

5 Didn't I say earlier that he played in friendlies, but you shrugged that off as not being important? You can't have it both ways man. And he did have injury and loss of form for a period last season that also held him back.

6 Are you saying Coleman should have replaced Cox at some point??? When?

1 Yes you did. You said McCarthy and Coleman were two of the worst players. That is criticising them more than the other players, obviously.

2 It's not that difficult when the other options are so inferior.

3 He has constantly appeared in friendlies under Trap, including the most recent ones.

4 You used it as evidence against him and held it up as proof that the people calling for him to be brought in earlier were wrong. That is holding it against him. But now you say you wouldn't hold it against him? Fúck me you would say anything.

5 No, I dismissed the fact that he has played in a few friendlies as evidence that Trap has given him as many appearances as he should have.

Consider all games, friendlies and competitive, and consider who has played in Coleman's place. Trap has been overlooking Coleman far more than he should have.

Even out of form he has always been a better winger than Cox and Keogh.

6 Yes, any time that Cox played on the wing Coleman should have been playing instead of him. Coleman is a better winger than Cox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

its really annoying the way we have such bandwagon fans
    who when things go bad won't go too a game
    but as soon as we reach a major tournament there the greatest fans on earth cuz they just want an excuse to get pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MD1990 wrote: »
    its really annoying the way we have such bandwagon fans
    who when things go bad won't go too a game
    but as soon as we reach a major tournament there the greatest fans on earth cuz they just want an excuse to get pissed

name a team that does not have bandwagon fans?

Given played at the top level his entire career, and has hundreds of great premiership games behind him. What Irish keeper comes close or has the potential to come close?

Richard Dunne played at the top level his entire career for sides clear of relegation. What Irish center half comes close? How likely are the younger players to emulate his achievements and be a dominating Center half when it counts for Ireland? O'Shea was awful on Friday and has never successfully dealt with being in the heart of the defence for a crunch game (Switzerland shudder).

Robbie Keane played for Inter, Liverpool, Leeds and Spurs; is our record scorer by a mile; one of the top 10 scorers in Premiership history. Who can replace his production?

There is some depth behind Duff, but his sound decision making and consistency is also a huge loss.

This is a limited Irish squad. Most worryingly though, when shorn of the Leadership of Dunne, Given and Keane they demonstrated that they are the most gutless collection of Irish footballers in a long long time.

Ye will get your beaten docket from English football in a year or so and then you'll know.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Given played at the top level his entire career, and has hundreds of great premiership games behind him. What Irish keeper comes close or has the potential to come close?

Richard Dunne played at the top level his entire career for sides clear of relegation. What Irish center half comes close? How likely are the younger players to emulate his achievements and be a dominating Center half when it counts for Ireland? O'Shea was awful on Friday and has never successfully dealt with being in the heart of the defence for a crunch game (Switzerland shudder).

Robbie Keane played for Inter, Liverpool, Leeds and Spurs; is our record scorer by a mile; one of the top 10 scorers in Premiership history. Who can replace his production?

There is some depth behind Duff, but his sound decision making and consistency is also a huge loss.

This is a limited Irish squad. Most worryingly though, when shorn of the Leadership of Dunne, Given and Keane they demonstrated that they are the most gutless collection of Irish footballers in a long long time.

Ye will get your beaten docket from English football in a year or so and then you'll know.

If a shít manager comes in and does shít it will prove nothing.

Your assumption that the team would have done any better on Friday night with Given, Dunne and Keane is just that. They did awful in the Euros with those players and when you consider the amount of disruption to the team caused by injury for this game then a slightly more shambolic performance then normal doesn't prove anything about a loss of leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

We are not the Ireland of 20 years or even 10 years ago.
    Who has said we are?
    It had been 10 years since we qualified for anything.
    Now we think we should be stroking it around like Barca.
    No, now we think a group of professional footballers, most of whom ply their trade in what is supposedly the top league in the world, should be capable of stringing a few passes together and form a reasonably well-organised unit. That's not asking for much.
    This is a limited Irish squad.
    Nobody is suggesting otherwise - Ireland are clearly lacking world-class players at present. But that does not excuse the level of performance we have consistently witnessed over the last year or two. You don't need world-class players in order to be well-organised and at least try to hold on to possession.

If a shít manager comes in and does shít it will prove nothing.

Your assumption that the team would have done any better on Friday night with Given, Dunne and Keane is just that. They did awful in the Euros with those players and when you consider the amount of disruption to the team caused by injury for this game then a slightly more shambolic performance then normal doesn't prove anything about a loss of leadership.
    How did aul John boy do as Captain and most experienced starter do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No matter who comes in after Trap, you'll still be rolling out this spiel. It's funny you mention these quality players that we 'had' in Keane, Dunne and Given, but fail to mention the very limited success Trap has had with them. He qualified us out of a poor group that we could have done more to try and win. Of course they are good players to lose, but Trap's management WITH these players involved hasn't exactly inspired confidence either.

How did aul John boy do as Captain and most experienced starter do you think?

Shíte. That still doesn't prove that the squad is sorely lacking leadership. They performed in a very similar way in the Euros when all three players you mentioned were present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Do you have anything critical to say of Trapattoni Lloyd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

djpbarry wrote: »
    Who has said we are?

No, now we think a group of professional footballers, most of whom ply their trade in what is supposedly the top league in the world, should be capable of stringing a few passes together and form a reasonably well-organised unit. That's not asking for much.
    Nobody is suggesting otherwise - Ireland are clearly lacking world-class players at present. But that does not excuse the level of performance we have consistently witnessed over the last year or two. You don't need world-class players in order to be well-organised and at least try to hold on to possession.

Most midfields around will get hammered by the Germans.
    Schweinsteiger and Ozil are top champions league
    Our lads are leagues below them.

I must say I was very disappointed with McCarthy though.
    His effort to stop the run and shot for the 6th goal was awful.

If he's the great White hope...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The team for tomorrow looks more balanced.

Trap should stick to his philosophy and ignore the calls for a change of formation. It was tried against Germany and was proven to be a disaster.

He should also stick with his selection process that he used up to the Euros. The fans have been calling for McCarthy and Coleman to get their game. They got their game and weren't up to it. Stick with the tried and trusted.

I'd have no problem with us replacing Trap but the list of candidates is hardly inspiring. No point replacing him unless there is a better replacement lined up.

Owen Coyle, Mick McCarthy, Liam Brady and Harry Redknapp are the only worthy contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Republic of Ireland team to play Faroes Islands: Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Wilson, Brady, Andrews, McCarthy, McGeady, Keane, Walters

Robbie Brady is strange. Definitely wasn't expecting that. Glad to see Wilson.

Corholio wrote: »
    No matter who comes in after Trap, you'll still be rolling out this spiel. It's funny you mention these quality players that we 'had' in Keane, Dunne and Given, but fail to mention the very limited success Trap has had with them. He qualified us out of a poor group that we could have done more to try and win. Of course they are good players to lose, but Trap's management WITH these players involved hasn't exactly inspired confidence either.

Two qualification campaigns, one playoff and one qualification. That is success for Irish Football.

What do you want? 100% qualification rate? Coming out of a group with the two eventual finalists and three sides in the top 10 in the world?

Results wise, he has done well. That's what matters.

Do you have anything critical to say of Trapattoni Lloyd?

Sure I do! But the witch hunt and vitriol on this forum stretching back to October 2010 is utterly ridiculous. Trapp has been painted as a cartoonish villain holding back the great future players of Ireland from playing wonderful football and competing in the knockout phases of major championships.

There are valid criticisms, but they are lost in a sea of hyperbole on here.

Sure I do! But the witch hunt and vitriol on this forum stretching back to October 2010 is utterly ridiculous. Trapp has been painted as a cartoonish villain holding back the great future players of Ireland from playing wonderful football and competing in the knockout phases of major championships.

There are valid criticisms, but they are lost in a sea of hyperbole on here.

Trap's critics aren't saying that either of those things would happen with a different manager. You are lying about what Trap's critics are saying again.

• Advertisement

Trap's critics aren't saying that either of those things would happen with a different manager. You are lying about what Trap's critics are saying again.

you != all of Trapp's critics

In any case, he's here until the end of the campaign. End of. You all know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

In any case, he's here until the end of the campaign. End of. You all know this.

Why don't you think he'll be sacked?

How do you justify him playing well in both Macedonia games last campaign? And the Russian game?

There may well be a serious decline in his ability from playing long-term in Toronto but lets not pick and choose who to lambast here. We can't say O'Dea should never play for Ireland again based soley on the Germany game whilst give everyone else a free pass.

If O'Dea is not to be 3rd/4th choice CB anymore then it will and should be based on more than just Friday's game.

I didn't give anyone else a free pass, you said you can't judge anyone based on one game. That's fair enough, I disagree, and would cite O'Dea's performance as one of those instances where something is obvious even based on one game. Coleman and McCarthy were not quite as bad but in their case it would be unfair anyway since they've never been given the chance to get settled into the team properly. As you rightly point out O'Dea has been given more opportunities in competitive games, I don't need to justify him playing well because he's been no better than average, he was bailed out more than once against Russia having made bad mistakes. That game is a good example of the bulls**t surrounding Trap, he gets credit for a result even though we were absolutely hammered in reality and only escaped with a point through sheer fluke and a once in a lifetime performance from Richard Dunne.

How many people have been saying that we would be playing wonderful football and competing in the knockout stages of tournaments except for Trap? I doubt it is a significant number at all.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Because it would cost a heap of money up front and the FAI may have their hands tied to a certain extent because of the nature of his contractual arrangement.

But most importantly because I expect we'll beat the Faroes and remain in with a chance of qualification through to next summer.

Two qualification campaigns, one playoff and one qualification. That is success for Irish Football.

What do you want? 100% qualification rate? Coming out of a group with the two eventual finalists and three sides in the top 10 in the world?

Results wise, he has done well. That's what matters.

Match by match we should have done better in a lot of games. Your taking it just generally without recalling the matches. The Trap fans will point to the fact he qualified until the day they die, which he did, only to go on and have the joint worst performance of any team in the European Championships. It was a tough group, but we were utterly embarrassed.

I'm actually not one calling for immediate dismissal of him, but to ignore the vast amount of problems is very short sighted. We have enough players at our disposal not to play the turgid football we do. No one claims we would be world beaters, just that we can do more than Trap allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The FAI know we probably won't qualify from this group whether we change manager or not. They know that qualification for Euro 2016 will be far easier than what it was, so they won't worry that the next manager won't have enough time to develop the squad to qualify for that. They would also have to pay Trapatonni a lot of money to sack him, and the FAI are tight on money.

All logic suggests they won't sack him. The only way it could happen is if the vast majority of the public unanimously and vigorously oppose his position, and even at that, it's still nowhere near clear as to whether they would bow down to the pressure.

djPSB wrote: »
    The team for tomorrow looks more balanced.

Trap should stick to his philosophy and ignore the calls for a change of formation. It was tried against Germany and was proven to be a disaster.

He should also stick with his selection process that he used up to the Euros. The fans have been calling for McCarthy and Coleman to get their game. They got their game and weren't up to it. Stick with the tried and trusted.

I'd have no problem with us replacing Trap but the list of candidates is hardly inspiring. No point replacing him unless there is a better replacement lined up.

Owen Coyle, Mick McCarthy, Liam Brady and Harry Redknapp are the only worthy contenders.

Coleman was our best defender, it's not saying much but he was ok. With the team announcement, how do you feel about him not sticking with his selection process? although it looks balanced?

Blatter wrote: »
    The FAI know we probably won't qualify from this group whether we change manager or not. They know that qualification for Euro 2016 will be far easier than what it was, so they won't worry that the next manager won't have enough time to develop the squad to qualify for that. They would also have to pay Trapatonni a lot of money to sack him, and the FAI are tight on money.

All logic suggests they won't sack him. The only way it could happen is if the vast majority of the public unanimously and vigorously oppose his position, and even at that, it's still nowhere near clear as to whether they would bow down to the pressure.

Not as tight as when fcuk all people attends the home matches over the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Predalien wrote: »
    I didn't give anyone else a free pass, you said you can't judge anyone based on one game. That's fair enough, I disagree, and would cite O'Dea's performance as one of those instances where something is obvious even based on one game. Coleman and McCarthy were not quite as bad but in their case it would be unfair anyway since they've never been given the chance to get settled into the team properly. As you rightly point out O'Dea has been given more opportunities in competitive games, I don't need to justify him playing well because he's been no better than average, he was bailed out more than once against Russia having made bad mistakes. That game is a good example of the bulls**t surrounding Trap, he gets credit for a result even though we were absolutely hammered in reality and only escaped with a point through sheer fluke and a once in a lifetime performance from Richard Dunne.

Thats all generalistic bull**** in fairness.

What were O'Dea constant mistakes in the Russia game? Are you just making that up? The whole team was under intense pressure - the reason we were under pressure in that game wasn't down to defensive mistakes, by and large it was down to our setup and a superior opposition. I don't understand at all what point you are making here.

He played well against Macedonia twice as well.

If you are persisting with "I seen him play badly (along with 10 other players) once against Germany so my mind is made up" then there is nothing I can say.

Nobody is under any illusions about that game - it was brilliant tactics, it was defence Vs attack for 90 minutes and our defence put in an almighty shift.

• Advertisement

Because it would cost a heap of money up front and the FAI may have their hands tied to a certain extent because of the nature of his contractual arrangement.

But most importantly because I expect we'll beat the Faroes and remain in with a chance of qualification through to next summer.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/bookmaker-suspends-betting-on-trap-exit-570649.html
    Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has today suspended the betting on Giovanni Trapattoni’s reign as Ireland manager ending before 2013 following a torrent of bets.

A flurry of bets saw the price on the Italian no longer being the Republic of Ireland’s manager on New Year's Day moving from 2/1 this morning to 11/10, before the market was closed.

A Paddy Power spokesperson said: “The amount of money placed over such a short period would lead us to believe that something is afoot and it’s safe to say that we’re running scared on this one.”

There's a reason why these cnuts made underlying pre-tax profits of €121.2m last year.

Most midfields around will get hammered by the Germans.
    Sure - nobody's denying the Germans are world class. Nobody's even suggesting that Ireland should expect to take even a point off them - a draw at home to Germany would be a very good result.

But, there have been some utterly ****e Irish teams in the past and none of them managed to lose 6-1 at home to anyone. As said above, I really don't think this Irish side is the best we've ever seen. They're not a bad bunch and there are options in most positions, but they're certainly not world-beaters. That said, organisation and discipline is the absolute least you expect from an Irish side. We've got absolutely nothing going for us at the moment and that's inexcusable. At the end of the day, the buck stops with the manager and I find it very, very hard to accept that we couldn't do better with a cheaper alternative.

There's a reason why these cnuts made pre-tax profits of €121.2m last year.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1011/paddy-power-promises-600-new-jobs-for-dublin-business.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Not as tight as when fcuk all people attends the home matches over the next year.

It's not so much the quality that decides the attendances as the whether or not we still have a chance to qualify and the attractiveness of the football, right? Now the latter went out the window when we signed trap, but as long as we still have a chance to qualify and the result is in question people will attend.

We're definitely still in with a shout against Sweden for second place and people will have no reason not to attend (admittedly it's a good thing we don't have a home game against a team like Germany again).

What were O'Dea constant mistakes in the Russia game? Are you just making that up? The whole team was under intense pressure - the reason we were under pressure in that game wasn't down to defensive mistakes, by and large it was down to our setup and a superior opposition. I don't understand at all what point you are making here.

Nobody is under any illusions about that game - it was brilliant tactics, it was defence Vs attack for 90 minutes and our defence put in an almighty shift.

I never said constant mistakes, I said he was bailed out. I specifically remember towards the end of that game he inexplicably left a cross when he could have cleared and the Russian missed a free header from a few yards.

Brilliant tactics? Boll**ks, inept finishing by the Russians played as big a part as anything

It's not so much the quality that decides the attendances as the whether or not we still have a chance to qualify and the attractiveness of the football, right? Now the latter went out the window when we signed trap, but as long as we still have a chance to qualify and the result is in question people will attend.

We're definitely still in with a shout against Sweden for second place and people will have no reason not to attend (admittedly it's a good thing we don't have a home game against a team like Germany again).

We play Greece next month in a friendly and Poland in February. How many do you think will attend those crackers? Especially given the current sentiment?

Sweden is next March, and that's an away fixture. Lose that and it's curtains. How many will attend the remaining home matches following that?

Trap's future is about economics now, more than anything. And everything points at his departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

some good points here, assuming we win tomorrow, were less than 50/50 to finish second, then at best 50/50 to win a playoff, I would put our chances at 20/25% to qualify for world cup. Had the draw for the W.C qualification been made one day later, I believe we would have been second rather than third seeds? open for correction on this though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

simple question
    do you think FAI have the money to buy him out of contract, YES OR NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Who is going to start the Faroe Islands V Ireland thread? Go on, go on, go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

kincsem wrote: »
    Who is going to start the Faroe Islands V Ireland thread? Go on, go on, go on.

what time is game on any ways

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement