Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tahini paste -please help

Options
  • 07-10-2012 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

we made a big feast for a family occasion tomorrow. We acquitted ourselves well with the food. However the birthday girl loves houmous. I figured tahini paste was something supermarkets sold now as standard.

My plea is where to get tahini paste in the Ballymun-finglas-coo lock area (of dublin)

I realise this is short notice and if I can't get it the food we made will stand well on it's own but I think home made ( rather than spermarket) hummus will be the crowning glory of the party. I have seen miracles performed before by the people on this board so here's hoping.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You've left it a bit late haven't you! :eek:

I know it's not nearby but, I bought some in Nolans in Clontarf a few weeks ago but they are closed on Sundays. You could try The Fresh Market on St Aidan's Park Road in Marino. I'm pretty sure they'd have it. They're open Sundays 12 - 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Peanut butter is a good alternative to tahini if all comes to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'm in Galway but I ways get my in health shops no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Im pretty sure tesco sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, try Tesco Clearwater, but don't expect the staff to know what you are talking about if you ask them where it might be. It's a pretty well stocked Tesco though.

Superquinn in Northside is actually fairly decent for stuff like that, I'd try there, possibly even before Tesco, and then if they don't have it in Northside, pop up to Tesco in Artane Castle.

There's a Health Food shop in Artane Castle you could try.

I can't really think of anywhere in Omni that might have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Be careful with allergies if you use peanut butter.

I've seen M&S stock it but its fairly straight forward to make: http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blcon110.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Superquinn stock it. But so do most health food shops

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You can get it in most of the bigger Tesco.Most decent healthwise shops sell it too, try the one in the Swan Centre in Rathmines. If you have a really good blender you won't need to buy it as it's simply sesame seeds mashed to a pulp and you can easily make it yourself!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Asian shops have it

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Cheers for the replys folks.
    The party is quite near northside so I'll give superquinn there a shot.

If they don't have it I'll just have to do the unthinkable and buy a tub of houmous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

stmol32 wrote: »
    Cheers for the replys folks.
    The party is quite near northside so I'll give superquinn there a shot.

If they don't have it I'll just have to do the unthinkable and buy a tub of houmous.

Its a bit late now, but you dont need tahini to make homous. You can do without it.

The basis is blended chickpeas, and the standard flavourings are garlic, lemon juice, olive oil but I would consider tahini to be nice but optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Des wrote: »
    Yeah, try Tesco Clearwater, but don't expect the staff to know what you are talking about if you ask them where it might be.
    The information desk is probably the best bet, not certain but it might show the aisle it is on. My tesco stupidly has a few sections a few aisles away from each other. Like a japanese, 'world foods' or thai section far away from the chinese section, with many 'crossover' foods.

Tahini is often in health shops.

Advertisement